uniqs
plat2on1
join:2002-08-21
Hopewell Junction, NY

plat2on1 to padrongus

to padrongus

Re: [News] Comcast Terminating Service of Power Users

said by padrongus:

I don't think we are too far off from high definition 720p & 1080i/p movies being available commercialy from for example Apple iTunes and others . Once this is available Comcast and others will need to change their download policy - I plan on buying HD movies online and like it or not that means many gigs of download per/month.
and how many of these movies do you plan on downloading per month? the HD movie downloads on xbox live are only 6-7 gigs each. thats an awful lot of movies in 1 month to reach a significant total.

LarryE
join:2000-07-29
Chicago, IL

LarryE

said by plat2on1:

said by padrongus:

I don't think we are too far off from high definition 720p & 1080i/p movies being available commercialy from for example Apple iTunes and others . Once this is available Comcast and others will need to change their download policy - I plan on buying HD movies online and like it or not that means many gigs of download per/month.
and how many of these movies do you plan on downloading per month? the HD movie downloads on xbox live are only 6-7 gigs each. thats an awful lot of movies in 1 month to reach a significant total.
And where are you planning on storing all those movies. How many terrabyte hard drives do you have?
impulse101
join:2007-01-30
Beachwood, NJ

impulse101 to plat2on1

to plat2on1
said by plat2on1:

said by padrongus:

HD and Blue Ray DVD's can be around 25GB each. It adds up fast

Derspankster
Premium Member
join:2003-02-12
Marion, OH

2 recommendations

Derspankster

Premium Member

Just what I'd like to have - someone on my node down loading 500-600 gigs a month. It's always about me,me,me isn't it girls? Screw everyone else that's plopping down their $40-60 per month. Daddy's probably paying for your connection anyway so you wouldn't have any conception of the price of living in the world.

dodgetech2
join:2002-01-01
Gouldsboro, PA

1 recommendation

dodgetech2

I don't have Comacast , but I'm glad they kicked him off....That guy is cloggin up the tubes..:)

...500GIGS a month!!!!!!!!....
I use about ~40-60 on average..and thats with me and 2 teenage kids....

rtcy
FACTS only please
Premium Member
join:1999-10-16
Norwalk, CA

rtcy to Derspankster

Premium Member

to Derspankster
until they go FTTH, this will persist. it's only going to get worse by 2009 when they go HD / digital, unless they compress the crap even more than it is now, just like direct tv, which is pure graineness.

they've known about it for over a decade and done nothing, except for Verizon.
devnuller
join:2006-06-10
Cambridge, MA

1 edit

1 recommendation

devnuller

said by rtcy:

until they go FTTH, this will persist. it's only going to get worse by 2009 when they go HD / digital, unless they compress the crap even more than it is now, just like direct tv, which is pure graineness.

they've known about it for over a decade and done nothing, except for Verizon.
FTTH is nice, but more marketing hype than business superiority... Why don't you wire your house with fiber? The cost / installation of FTTH vs HFC is night and day. The speed elements are not.

The reality is HFC coax has PLENTY of bandwidth, but no matter what technology you use, it is profitable to build backbone and regional networks to satisfy everyone consuming 300G. Even FTTH cannot support those speeds at the price point consumers are paying.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958 to Derspankster

Premium Member

to Derspankster
said by Derspankster:

Just what I'd like to have - someone on my node down loading 500-600 gigs a month. It's always about me,me,me isn't it girls? Screw everyone else that's plopping down their $40-60 per month. Daddy's probably paying for your connection anyway so you wouldn't have any conception of the price of living in the world.
The other person downloading on "your" node has very little effect on "your" speed. It's the uploading that effects it the most, thusly why most providers give you such a low upload compared to download speed.

How'd it get to be "your" node anyway? You buy one? Seems to be you are mostly renting it, by paying for it every month and Comcast still having the ability to ban you for a year.

Derspankster
Premium Member
join:2003-02-12
Marion, OH

1 edit

Derspankster

Premium Member

said by cork1958:

The other person downloading on "your" node has very little effect on "your" speed. It's the uploading that effects it the most, thusly why most providers give you such a low upload compared to download speed.

How'd it get to be "your" node anyway? You buy one? Seems to be you are mostly renting it, by paying for it every month and Comcast still having the ability to ban you for a year.
OK, not my node -How about, part of the node that I am renting, a co-renter? Maybe that will take care of the hair splitting. It's also big news to me that someone on the same node as me will not slow me down while they're DL a 25 Gig movie.

Fixed uneven quote tags. ~sorto'

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

1 edit

dadkins to impulse101

MVM

to impulse101
said by impulse101:

Uhm, Blu-ray are 25 - 50GB each.
My laptop has a BD drive.
I sure as hell ain't uploading 25 - 50GB to anyone.

goofy01
join:2004-02-05
Hammond, IN

1 recommendation

goofy01 to cork1958

to cork1958
I look at it just like an apartment building that has one huge water heater for the building. If one of the other tenants in the building leaves his/her hot water on all the time, then no one else hooked up to that heater can get any hot water. The landlord would have to find out who is messing up the whole building and fix the problem, up to and including shutting off the hot water to the troublesome apartment.
plat2on1
join:2002-08-21
Hopewell Junction, NY

1 recommendation

plat2on1 to impulse101

to impulse101
said by impulse101:

said by plat2on1:

said by padrongus:

and they are not legally available for download.