uniqs
aguen
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR

aguen

Premium Member

Zyxel ES2108 VLAN

Anybody here using or familiar with this device? I'm having "issues" and I don't know if it's me or the box. The documentation leaves a bit to be desired, at least to me.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

What kind of issues are you having. My crystal ball is not working that well this weekend.
aguen
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

aguen

Premium Member

I'm using the web interface to try and configure the setup. It seems as though I'm having to supply the userid and password every time I make a setting change on it in the same session. Also, I used the web interface to update the firmware level and during that step, the progress bar and the box itself seemed to die or hangup at about the 50% point of the upload progress. I let it sit for about an hour with no change, so I pulled the power, then applied power. It came back up at that point and indicated that it had the new firmware version but since then it has been impossible to make any further settings and now is at the point where I can't get to the web interface at all, nor is it showing up as a connected device in my router/gateway logs.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

2 edits

Anav

Premium Member

It sure sounds like the switch got hosed somehow during the firmware update. Is there another method besides web access to get into the router (any default reset button)?
Edit: Use the console port (pg 45 of user guide)

pg 57 describes what to do when you lock yourself out of the switch.

Command line interface Details start on page 183
aguen
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

aguen

Premium Member

I was afraid that that would be the answer. The box is mounted in a rack and the short rs 232 cable they included doesn't reach to any other PC. Oh, well.

Thanks for your time.
Riuski
join:2005-12-16
Alhambra, CA

Riuski

This is why you get a laptop with a serial port built-in, which few do nowadays. Short of that, I've heard decent results with those USB to Serial adapters...