uniqs
share rss forum feed

Digital
As-Salamu Alaykum
Premium
join:2000-07-24
Cleveland, OH

RC5 on ATI R590 . . .

Has anyone accomplished this yet? I'm regretting the fact that I no longer play World Of Warcraft and I would like to do something with this $350.00 paperweight video card.
--
If God wanted us to have metal caskets he'd have planted steel trees. ...

scarney
Bbr Team Discovery - Bbr Team Rc5
Premium
join:2001-02-18
Madison, WI
kudos:1

huh?

Digital
As-Salamu Alaykum
Premium
Cleveland, OH
reply to Digital

What I mean is has anyone figured out how to run an RC5-72 client on a GPU? Meaning, instead of using the card to process graphics, it processes RC5. (Instead of your CPU)
--

scarney
Bbr Team Discovery - Bbr Team Rc5
Premium
join:2001-02-18
Madison, WI
kudos:1

ahh, ok then!. well you get on that, and keep us informed. hehe
--
Join Us! :: »Team RC5

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to Digital

I don't see any open requests for GPU ports here: »bugs.distributed.net/buglist.cgi···platform

You can always request one here: »bugs.distributed.net/enter_bug.c···Requests
--
Bush implies I'm a traitor. I'm proud of that.

***ATMFAQ***DIFAQ***Kitchen Sink***

Gomez
ha ha, charade you are
Premium,Ex-Mod 06-11
join:2001-02-21
Atlanta, GA
reply to Digital

There's been some talk of both GPU and Cell (PS3) ports of the client, but as far as I know, no activity.

That said, even as the DCS rep for the BBR RC5 effort, my PS3 is crunching for helix, as it's a pretty good return on that processor set. While I'd love to see every CPU on RC5, that's not a pragmatic vision.

If you want to get the most output from that setup, there are projects that will likely support it.
--
Disclaimer: Resemblance between the above views and those of anyone is purely coincidental. Resemblance between the above and my own views is non-deterministic. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is an exercise for the reader.

Digital
As-Salamu Alaykum
Premium
Cleveland, OH
reply to Digital

I just read some pretty technical documentation about how an ATI GPU processes data ... it processes it as a stream, and apparently, that data set would be completely worthless to RC5. They say unless they can figure out how to 'stream' the data to the GPU RC5 would be better off ran on a P3 1GHz. I think I'll just mess around with some of the Stanford projects that use the GPU. (Folding, etc)
--