Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tquan

join:2001-09-13
Mountain View, CA

1 recommendation

solution: voicemail waiting indicator won't turn off

had a problem with my panasonic phone where the voicemail indicator light wouldn't turn off after I had deleted my voicemails. it would turn off only if I picked up the phone again or hit the button that explicitly cleared the indicator. Looking at the PAP2T "Info" page, I could see that "Message Waiting" actually went from "Yes" to "No" fairly quickly after I deleted a message, so didn't look like a problem with the PAP2T knowing how many voicemails I had.

after searching a bit, found this page:

»www.sandman.com/messwait.html

which explains that FSK for the message waiting indicator is more reliable than having your phone listen for the "stutter" tone. I set about looking for a way to make FSK work on the PAP2T after I verified from a web search that my phone does understand FSK...it appears most recent phones do.

Looking at the Sipura docs here:

»www.sipura.com/Documents/SipuraS···.0.9.pdf

there are only two things to change:

On the "Line 1" page in the PAP2T, set "VMWI Serv" to "Yes". This actually turns on FSK.

On the "User 1" page in the PAP2T, set "VMWI Ring Splash Len" to "0" (zero). without this second step, you get a brief (.5 sec) ring whenever the voicemail indicator turns on. Maybe you like that but I don't.

after that, things worked like a charm, the indicator turns off almost immediately (at least as fast as it does on my old POTS service)

of course, to make this stick, you'll have to ask ViaTalk to change the provisioning for your line if you have a provisioned PAP2T. why it isn't like this by default, who knows.

TheKrell

join:2003-12-07
Fairfax, VA
Thank you Tquan. Your instructions are a big help since VT CS doesn't seem able to fix this for my phones (in 3 tries so far).
said by tquan:

On the "Line 1" page in the PAP2T, set "VMWI Serv" to "Yes". This actually turns on FSK.
My Line 1 page has no "VMWI Serv" to set! Perhaps it's the "Message waiting" pulldown menu? I'm running a VT PAP2T with 3.1.9 firmware. Isn't Linksys up to 5.something? Why is VT leaving me in the mists of antiquity on this thing?

tquan

Mountain View, CA
I'm on 3.1.15, so the versions aren't that different.

Perhaps you are looking on the wrong page? On my PAP2T, "Message waiting" is on the "User 1" page, not the "Line 1" page. (I didn't change "Message waiting", by the way, just left it set to "No") Double check that you're looking at the Line 1 page.

Agrajag

join:2005-04-04
Cherry Hill, NJ

3 edits
Interesting. I have both of those set already but I still end up waiting about a minute for the message light to clear.

This is on a Uniden phone now. It also was this way with my other 2-line phone prior to this new phone.

However, the Uniden does have one feature that seems to be related to this. It's called "Voice Mail Tone". The option is On or Off.

The manual says this:

-----
Setting the Voice Mail Signaling Tone
If your voice mail service uses a FSK message signal to alert you of a new voice mail message, you will need to
turn off the Voice Mail Tone. If your voice mail service uses a SDT message signal to alert you of new voice mail
messages, you can leave the Voice Mail Tone on.
-----

I turned it off already.

With Verizon I could delete a message from my voicemail, hang up the phone and the light would go off almost instantly. Here I always wait a good 30 seconds to a minute.

I wonder what the difference is.

FWIW, I also used to GET the indictor light much faster with Verizon. I'd love to match that reaction here on both sides.

I just left a message here and it was 54 seconds after I left that message when it showed up.

I also just deleted that message and it took 44 seconds for the adapter to show Message Waiting: No and the phone cleared at the same time.

Is this as "fast" as it's happening for you?

I suspect this is something VT has the ability to set priority on but doesn't see the need to send out instantly and instead possibly batches such data out. It's actually something I'd pay a SLIGHT amount more for to get as it's annoying to wait around for that light to go off wondering if it ever will. When it instantly goes off you can forget about it.

tquan

Mountain View, CA
yes, I get similar times (about a minute). however, before doing the fix I described above, the indicator would literally never turn off unless I picked up the phone or pressed the button on the phone that cleared the indicator.

however, a minute isn't slow for me, as my old POTS carrier (AT&T/SBC) always took about a minute to change the indicator state anyway. I guess it's what you're used to

from doing a bit of reading on the VoIP protocols, how this works underneath is that the VoIP provider sends a SIP message to the ATA (the PAP2T in this case) telling it to change the message waiting state. so the state change can't really happen any faster than the amount of time it takes ViaTalk to get this message out. if you delete a message, then refresh on the "Info" tab of the PAP2T, you'll see that the within a second of the "Message Waiting" line flipping from "Yes" to "No", the indicator light turns off. However, you're right in that it does take maybe 30 seconds to a minute for that state change to happen. Because of that, I don't think there's anything that can be changed within the PAP2T to make this any faster, it's happening literally immediately after the message is received from ViaTalk. Any more reduction on the delay would have to come by ViaTalk getting this message to the PAP2T faster.

Agrajag

Cherry Hill, NJ
This about the above comment. It can't happen any faster than it takes for VT to get the message out.

I believe you're correct that we've done all we can with the adapter. These settings are what they change when you call support to tell them this isn't working so that's what they already do.

So now the question is, and I think this has been addressed somewhere previously, why does it take 30 seconds to a minute to get this state back from ViaTalk?

I believe we previously saw this response rate move from much faster to much slower before and I believe a rep mentioned that this was due to system message overhead or something like that. Thus if more people call in to ask for this perhaps they'll bump it up.

CyberSultan
Premium
join:2006-07-20
Before the architecture change last summer, you used to not be able to pick which server you were registered against. So for me, I was persistently connected to jupiter.vtnoc.net. The voicemail for each user was setup on the same server you were registered to. So you could not just switch to another server as you can now. As part of the architecture change, they centralized the voicemail system, so it does not matter which server you register to now. Your centralized voicemail can be accessed from any of their servers.

After they centralized the voicemail, the time went from a few seconds to anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute for the message light indicator to turn on or off. I e-mailed VT about that at the time and they indicated that this was the way it would work from now on because the voicemail was no longer distributed.

Agrajag

Cherry Hill, NJ
That was it. Thanks Scott. I still don't quite understand why the delay has to be there. Common sense fails me here.

I delete a voicemail. Isn't it a rather simple matter to tie a routine to that process that says, "Send an FSK trigger to account xxxxxxxxxxx" and have that be immediate?

Still not sure why what server I'm on makes any difference. It's just an address. Whether it's the same one or a different one shouldn't matter to the routine.

TheKrell

join:2003-12-07
Fairfax, VA
reply to tquan
said by tquan:

On my PAP2T, "Message waiting" is on the "User 1" page, not the "Line 1" page.
Urp, you're right! I can't get to any Line 1 page... This must require an admin login to configure.

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to tquan
I don't don't care if it takes 5 sec or a minute to turn off as it just turn off. Every one worried over stupid shit this. Vt needs to have 2 tiers of service. 1 tier for peolple just want a phone that works with little features and fast ts for $15.00 a month. Tier 2 with all the features and there own ts support for $25.00 and have wait 45 min on hold so they can cry It don't call me to take the garbage out, it takes 1 minute for vm mail to stop flashing.

Fisamo
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Apex, NC
reply to TheKrell
The Line pages do require admin level access to your PAP2. If you submit a ticket, VT will provide you with the Admin password.

pachocco1

join:2002-01-27
Dallas, TX
reply to Agrajag
Did you guys with admin access try to adjust the
VMWI Refresh Intvl:
under the "regional" tab?

I think the default is a .5 (in other words, half a second). Is that what you value you guys have? I do not know the provisioned value.

To give proper credit, I think Fisamo or DracoFelis mentioned this in the Useful Sipura tricks thread. »[Equipment] Useful Sipura tricks...

Agrajag

Cherry Hill, NJ

1 edit
Caddy,

How do you read messages here? The Internet wasn't invented in the age of cavemen so I'm a bit perplexed as to how you found it worthwhile to use or to have the time to even respond given the long time it must take to walk everywhere given that cars aren't actually a necessity.

We're not sitting around obsessing about this feature but if you provide ANY feature then it's perfectly fair to expect some people to express how they feel about it.

Someone else pointed out the benefit of the Simultaneous Ring feature while another person commented about VT's wonderful support. Shouldn't they just be focused on the core operation of the phone? The rest is, if we take your words literally, unnecessary.

Let's just say I don't agree with your view on this one. We're in a forum. This is where people come to discuss these things. I can line up a cadre of people in front of your door who would call you a crazy fanatic just due to your participation in this very forum.

The point is that it's a bit silly to ridicule any of us for sharing our view about one facet of the service we all pay for while you share your view on it (and share you view on what we should share our views on).