Search similar:

uniqs

iLive4Fusion
Premium Member
join:2006-07-13

1 edit

iLive4Fusion

Premium Member

[Help] I had a wreck in my Highlander Hybrid!

Today I was rear ended by someone in an older Ford Crown Victoria at 40 MPH, she was looking for her F******* cell phone. She didn't even hit the brakes! I was very upset, I did not get hurt but she did, SUV vs. Sedan. But it was pretty bad, her car was totaled because the radator busted open and the engine would not turn over . But my Highlander Hybrid had no structural damage whatsoever, just the liftgate and the bumper. I am taking it to the body shop tommorow, what can I expect? What should they do about the battery when painting?

rds24a
Teach Your Children
Premium Member
join:2000-12-13
Newton Upper Falls, MA

rds24a

Premium Member

I would guess the dollar value of that damage is going to be a heckuva lot more than you realize. Nothing to do with the hybrid, either. I had a similar accident to that in an Accord with a similar appearance, but it ended up bending the substructure and shattering a wheel bearing...total cost $4000.

Whether or not the battery was affected is hard to tell. Generally, their self diagnostics should immediately identify a functional problem, so if you're not getting any indicators I would guess it is OK. Body shop may raise some concerns if they have to open up the area around the battery for any reason, however.

lotusracer
Premium Member
join:1999-11-26
Moline, IL

lotusracer to iLive4Fusion

Premium Member

to iLive4Fusion
Not sure if this applies to the Highlander hybrid, but it does apply to the Prius....

The Prius has a fairly small 12 volt battery, which is used pretty much only to boot up the computer, so the car will start. It's real easy to flatten the 12 volt Prius battery by leaving a door open overnight. Once you flatten it, it seldom holds a charge correctly and needs replacement.

When our Prius was in the body shop, I specifically asked them to disconnect the 12 volt 'accessory' battery to prevent it's death. They did as I ask, so our Prius still has the original battery after 6 years.

Note, that I am talking about the 'regular' 12 volt battery, not the Hybrid 'traction' battery.

iLive4Fusion
Premium Member

iLive4Fusion

Premium Member

My Highlander has a regular "car" battery in the front to start the car and I think run the accessories, but I will ask them to disconnect though just in case. Thanks,
I am really worried about the High voltage traction Battery though. Do you know if they "baked" the paint onto your Prius?

jrs8084
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC

1 recommendation

jrs8084 to iLive4Fusion

Premium Member

to iLive4Fusion
Sorry to hear about your wreck. Personally, I think people who get into accidents as a result of carphones should be charged with DWI, since they are indeed impaired by the device. But, proving that would be a nightmare.

40 MPH from a Crown Vic? Ouch-I really wonder if the damage is more than cosmetic. 40 isn't slow, especially for a big car slamming into you. Good luck.

Mospaw
My socks don't match.

join:2001-01-08
New Braunfels, TX

Mospaw to iLive4Fusion

to iLive4Fusion
Expect extensive hidden damage inside that bumper. They're designed to absorb a lot of force, and yours clearly did. But it's a one-time deal. Once it's damaged, you replace it. My guess is in the $5,000 range.

You also might call the Toyota dealer's service department and see what they advise as far as battery removal, disconnection, etc.

Too bad about the Crown Vic. I her they're nice cars. And yeah, if she was blabbering on the phone, she should be charged with DWI! That's a great idea.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka to iLive4Fusion

MVM

to iLive4Fusion
Can you post a picture of the left side 1/4 panel, one from about 90 degrees and one from about 135 degrees to the panel surface?

If it is just the bumper/hatch, I wouldn't expect it to be too much.

Depends on whether they fix or replace the hatch.

Lotusracer has the auxiliary (12 volt) battery covered.

There is a small chance that there is a hybrid system DTC that has been set (it wouldn't actually mean that anything hybrid system related needed to be replaced), as there are sensors at the rear of this vehicle to automatically shut down the hybrid system in the event of a major collision.
There is a good chance that yours would be below that threshold, as the damage isn't terribly bad.

chadrob30
Howdy
Premium Member
join:2002-04-24
Fort Smith, AR

chadrob30 to iLive4Fusion

Premium Member

to iLive4Fusion
Ouch, that sucks man. Once a vehicle has been wrecked and repainted it seldom looks as good as factory. Good luck with the rest of the ordeal.

Daarken
Rara Avises
Premium Member
join:2005-01-12
Southwest LA

Daarken to iLive4Fusion

Premium Member

to iLive4Fusion
Just make sure its the body shop "recommended" by the local toyota dealership, or the actual dealerships body shop.

yeti34
RC Onroad racin
join:2001-04-12
Salt Lake City, UT

yeti34 to iLive4Fusion

to iLive4Fusion
It is more then likely gonna end up worse then what you think. Once they remove the cover and check the damage underneith the bill will be higher. It may be a good possibility the hatch will not line up right and they will have to tweak the opening.

Her car was not drivable because it did it's job, absorbed the impact to protect the driver. The front of your Hybrid probably would not have faired any better had it been you hitting something like that.

People on Cell Phones while drivin piss me off too. Nothing like being in the fast lane on the highway then all of sudden the car in front of you slows down and you then find out they just got a call. I am the opposite if I get a call, I am not paying much attention to who ever it is that called me, watchin the road in front of me.

iLive4Fusion
Premium Member

iLive4Fusion

Premium Member

The Intersection of the crash

lucky644
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04

lucky644 to iLive4Fusion

Premium Member

to iLive4Fusion
It's amazing how quickly the bill rises. When someone damaged my truck I figured a grand, TOPS, ended up being 4 grand.
81399672 (banned)
join:2006-05-17
Los Angeles, CA

1 edit

81399672 (banned) to iLive4Fusion

to iLive4Fusion
Hard to tell on damage, bumper needs to be removed to see what else is damaged. I would guess you got $2k-3k Damage,could be more (much more, just hard to tell from the picture)

woody7
Premium Member
join:2000-10-13
Torrance, CA

woody7 to iLive4Fusion

Premium Member

to iLive4Fusion
Just had a wheel that flew off a van bounce into the air and hit my 2005 4runner parked in my teacher spot at school on the tailgate and rear bumper, causing believe it or not 3k worth of damage.Thank god there wasn't any students or other teachers near the car or they would be dead....State farm couldn't believe what happened till I sent in the digital pics along with the statement from the driver....weird week for cars....

dfc888
Premium Member
join:2003-07-22
San Bruno, CA

dfc888 to Daarken

Premium Member

to Daarken
said by Daarken:

Just make sure its the body shop "recommended" by the local toyota dealership, or the actual dealerships body shop.
I second that!

AnonProxy
Premium Member
join:2001-05-12

1 edit

AnonProxy to iLive4Fusion

Premium Member

to iLive4Fusion
There is NO WAY this was a 40 MPH impact with a Crown Vic.
A crown vic weighs in at 4057lbs curb. At 40 MPH that would have garnered about 219,564 foot pounds of energy....considering your bumper is dinged and not rammed into the back of your head I'm calling BS on the speed of impact.
Expand your moderator at work

lucky644
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04

lucky644 to AnonProxy

Premium Member

to AnonProxy

Re: [Help] I had a wreck in my Highlander Hybrid!

said by AnonProxy:

A crown vic weighs in at 4057lbs curb. At 40 MPH that would have garnered about 219,564 foot pounds of energy....considering your bumper is dinged and not rammed into the back of your head I'm calling BS on the speed of impact.
He never said how fast he was moving in relation to the other car that rear ended him. He didn't say he was sitting still, I'd have to assume both vehicles were moving.

iLive4Fusion
Premium Member

iLive4Fusion to AnonProxy

Premium Member

to AnonProxy
I was going about 10 and she was going about 40 as she said she was going to speed limit and never used her brakes. And basicaly her car kinda went underneathe my car or something like that. My neck is sore today from the crash, she was in about a 92" Crown Victoria

Vamp
5c077
Premium Member
join:2003-01-28
MD

1 edit

Vamp to AnonProxy

Premium Member

to AnonProxy
said by AnonProxy:

I was going to post something similar.

The initial speed might have been 40 but not impact. Looks more like 15-20 tops.
Markinsac
join:2001-06-20
Sacramento, CA

Markinsac to iLive4Fusion

to iLive4Fusion
Since hybrids are still somewhat new to shops, make sure the shop you use KNOWS what to do around the hybrid high-voltage equipment. You might want to even consider going to the dealership and see if they work with any particular shop - ask if anyone at the shops has had the specific hybrid equipment training.

PolarBear03
The bear formerly known as aaron8301
Premium Member
join:2005-01-03

PolarBear03 to Cho Baka

Premium Member

to Cho Baka
said by Cho Baka:

There is a small chance that there is a hybrid system DTC that has been set (it wouldn't actually mean that anything hybrid system related needed to be replaced), as there are sensors at the rear of this vehicle to automatically shut down the hybrid system in the event of a major collision.
There is a good chance that yours would be below that threshold, as the damage isn't terribly bad.
Kind of like the impact-actuated fuel cut-off switches in Fords?
kdmorse
join:2002-12-19
Germantown, MD

kdmorse

Yes, very similar. If the computer believes it's been in a major accident, it will choose not to drive at all unless you enter drivetrain maint mode. Usually any crash that would trigger this safeguard involves airbag deployment.

-Ken

Xzibit
Wtf Mate?
Premium Member
join:2002-04-19
Santa Clara, CA

Xzibit to iLive4Fusion

Premium Member

to iLive4Fusion
I was in an accident not too long ago, and the claim that the other person was doing 40mph is BS. I was stopped and a chick hit me at 20 mph, and there was more damage than that.

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David to jrs8084

Premium Member

to jrs8084
said by jrs8084:

Sorry to hear about your wreck. Personally, I think people who get into accidents as a result of carphones should be charged with DWI, since they are indeed impaired by the device.

We have this in illinois currently, last I heard either Missouri is getting it or is getting it soon.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to iLive4Fusion

Premium Member

to iLive4Fusion
Nothing says payday faster than a rear ender, they're always 100% at fault. if they were insured, don't let em go cheap. INSIST on genuine replacement parts. NOT OEM CRAPOLA!
-
another thing to think about, once a car is hit it really isn't as good anymore. hopefully its totalled so you can get a decent replacement car.

gilligun
Shipwrecked
Premium Member
join:2002-11-22
Denver, CO

gilligun to iLive4Fusion

Premium Member

to iLive4Fusion
Just glad yer ok

Nhatters
join:2004-01-24
Oklahoma City, OK

Nhatters to iLive4Fusion

to iLive4Fusion
Go get x-rays or go to a chiropractor to see if any serious damage was caused. I would assume there's some kind of injury to the cervical area of the spine. Insurance should cover the therapy since it wasn't your fault, right? You don't want stuff to be healing incorrectly with a chance to cause more pain in the future.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

said by Nhatters:

Go get x-rays or go to a chiropractor to see if any serious damage was caused. I would assume there's some kind of injury to the cervical area of the spine. Insurance should cover the therapy since it wasn't your fault, right? You don't want stuff to be healing incorrectly with a chance to cause more pain in the future.
yeah, i agree. stuff doesn't usually show up til later. DONT SIGN ANYTHING until you are sure you're going to be ok[for the long run too]

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

2 recommendations

Cho Baka to iLive4Fusion

MVM

to iLive4Fusion
OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer; in other words -- dealer parts.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Or ··· facturer
From Wiki:
In the automotive industry, status as an OEM is a legal identification. OEM status (in the United States) signifies that the company's automotive products have been tested and validated according to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) and Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations. Examples of OEM automobile companies include General Motors, Ford Motor Company, Honda and Toyota. The last remaining small OEM automobile company in North America is Saleen. Small "tuner" companies do not qualify for automotive OEM status as they do not bear legal liability for vehicle safety or performance, nor are they required to provide any form of warranty on their products.