Search similar:

uniqs
mhy8
join:2000-08-25
Los Angeles, CA

1 edit

mhy8

You think Comcast is tough on caps? Check out Speakeasy

Apparently Comcast cuts off customers who exceed around 500 GB per month, and this causes a lot of complaining here.

If you think they are tough, check out the Speakeasy forum. Speakeasy is generally considered a business-friendly, not-a-lot-of-rules ISP, but they are contacting people who exceed 100 GB per month. At least they do give a warning, and they have identified a cap, but the cap is much lower than what seems to have been set at Comcast.

Mod Note: Don't mind me, just locking previous bandwidth abuse thread and adding this one to the top here ---> »Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »Does Comcast have bandwidth use limits? ~sorto'

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA

djdanska

Premium Member

100 Gb? Wow.. That is a lot, but compare that to the rumored 500 GB with comcast. Dam!

Cabal
Premium Member
join:2007-01-21

Cabal to mhy8

Premium Member

to mhy8
Wow, that's a big change from the download-all-you-want, run-your-own-server attitude they had when I used them a few years back. I wonder how quickly people will be blaming the Best Buy purchase from a few days ago.

gordo
@comcast.net

gordo to mhy8

Anon

to mhy8
said by mhy8:

Apparently Comcast cuts off customers who exceed around 500 GB per month, and this causes a lot of complaining here.

If you think they are tough, check out the Speakeasy forum. Speakeasy is generally considered a business-friendly, not-a-lot-of-rules ISP, but they are contacting people who exceed 100 GB per month. At least they do give a warning, and they have identified a cap, but the cap is much lower than what seems to have been set at Comcast.
I believe the Comcast figure is more like ~ 300 - 350 Gig ??

ragana
@comcast.net

ragana

Anon

300? Try 230.

Loker
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Fargo, ND

Loker

Premium Member

said by ragana :

300? Try 230.
there is no set cap....it could be 500GB for someone in an area with lots of heavy users or it could be 170GB for someone without a lot of heavy users....

we have not yet seen anyone kicked for less than 150GB's so thats what I usually go by on the Comcast cap although generally speaking its over 200GB's....

gordo
@comcast.net

gordo to ragana

Anon

to ragana
It all depends upon local geographical conditions and how much one is affecting other users on their node

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA

RR Conductor to mhy8

Premium Member

to mhy8
So much for unlimited.

EnasYorl
Thieves World
join:2001-12-02
West
·Ziply Fiber
Motorola MB8600
Netgear RAX15
Asus RT-AC66

EnasYorl to mhy8

to mhy8
said by mhy8:

From »www.speakeasy.net/tos/#d ··· nnection

Moderations of Use:
Bandwidth: As an ISP, Speakeasy's bottom line is determined partially by the amount of bandwidth customers utilize. Speakeasy can normally balance that cost and utilization while continuing to provide great service to all customers. Customers will not be charged for the bandwidth consumed, nor do we have specific limits or caps on that bandwidth. If you utilize any of your Speakeasy services in a manner which consumes excessive bandwidth or affects Speakeasy's core equipment, overall network performance, or other users' services, Speakeasy may require that you cease or alter these activities.

Speakeasy does not allow customers authoritative control of their own reverse DNS within the speakeasy.net or speakeasy.org domain.

The resale of residential-class services is strictly prohibited. Collection of service fees from third party customers on behalf of a Speakeasy residential-class service is allowed only if the primary account holder has subscribed to a service package defined by Speakeasy to promote connection sharing of any type. This includes but is not limited to both wireless and wired connection sharing.

DreamWraith
Premium Member
join:2004-04-07
Mount Vernon, WA

DreamWraith to mhy8

Premium Member

to mhy8
Well, speakeasy is owned by Best Buy now, so I imagine it will only get worse, ala geek squad.
eric87m
join:2003-12-07
Washington, DC

eric87m

I was using about 160-180 a month during the months Decembe and February, and about 60-100 in the months in between, and this month I was probably around 80-100 and they called me today saying we giving you a warning about your bandwidth usage, if this happens again this year you will be cut off from our service for a year.

This was on Comcast.
ualdayan
join:2004-07-17
Antioch, TN

ualdayan

said by eric87m:

I was using about 160-180 a month during the months Decembe and February, and about 60-100 in the months in between, and this month I was probably around 80-100 and they called me today saying we giving you a warning about your bandwidth usage, if this happens again this year you will be cut off from our service for a year.

This was on Comcast.
Perhaps the cap in your area is closer to the 150GB than the 200GB mark. (I know it is in my area) Either that or they got rid of the top 1% the past few months, and now your 180GB in one month puts you in the top current 1% left over.

Where did the OP see that speakeasy was capping people though? I looked at the speakeasy board here on dslreports, and nobody is saying anything about the caps that I could see. (whereas the comcast board has TONS of posts) Also tried a google search and came up empty.

Loker
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Fargo, ND

Loker

Premium Member

said by ualdayan:
said by eric87m:

This was on Comcast.
Perhaps the cap in your area is closer to the 150GB than the 200GB mark. (I know it is in my area) Either that or they got rid of the top 1% the past few months, and now your 180GB in one month puts you in the top current 1% left over.

Where did the OP see that speakeasy was capping people though? I looked at the speakeasy board here on dslreports, and nobody is saying anything about the caps that I could see. (whereas the comcast board has TONS of posts) Also tried a google search and came up empty.
also it sounds like he is guesstimating what he downloaded....not that he knew he downloaded xGB's.....