uniqs
share rss forum feed

BBR_InsUW
NF or CoH thats my Game
Premium,Mod
join:2000-04-22
La Mesa, CA

I hate to ask but did the forum die?

Well I have put it off for a long time but I have to know?

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

Nope, it is not dead yet. On the contrary the forum seems to work just fine

I guess after the MCI/Worldcom/UUnet to Covad migration there were two types of former forum posters:
1.) those that were no longer Cyberonic customers at all
2.) those that had successfully migrated to Cyberonic/Covad

Without any big issues there just isn't much to talk about.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

DonBrady
Premium
join:2002-06-20
Cary, NC
reply to BBR_InsUW

There have been no posts in the Covad forum either recently!

Neil
Stop All The Downloadin

join:2003-08-20
New York, NY
reply to BBR_InsUW

Not much to post about lately, but I'm still lurking here, and still not representing Cyberonic in any official capacity whatsoever!
--
Quit signing your posts. Your name is right next to your post. This isn't Usenet.

choiceman

join:2004-01-02
Elmhurst, IL
reply to BBR_InsUW

Cyberon needs to offer more services like bonded Covad DSL and make this forum more active.

koboom

join:2003-05-16
Boston, MA

1 edit
reply to BBR_InsUW

I think this forum is very useful. Everytime I check broadbandreports.com I stop by here and visit.

scotte8

join:2006-11-20
reply to BBR_InsUW

Getting some activity back in the forum...

What are people's thoughts of Cyberonic vs going directly with Covad for residential service?

I'm in the Boston area and plan to run a server from home.

I emailed Covad and they did respond saying I could run a server. I'd be looking at each provider's cheapest offerings, either $25/month from Covad, or $19/month from Cyberonics.

Speed is not so much the issue as is uptime and reliability with no port blocking.

Does either do PPPoE or straight IP?

Thanks.

Scott

DonBrady
Premium
join:2002-06-20
Cary, NC
reply to BBR_InsUW

Cyberonic v. Covad (was Re: I hate to ask but did the forum die)

One thing is that the price difference is probably much greater if you later switch to a higher speed.

Also check what early termination penalties are both ways.

Cyberonic is based right there in Boston......

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to scotte8

Re: I hate to ask but did the forum die?

As far as reliability goes there can't be any difference since the Covad service resold by Cyberonic is still the same Covad service as far as the IP connectivity is concerned.
The main differentiators are add-on ISP services that Covad-direct customers receive from Covad servers and Cyberonic customers get from Cyberonic. This is an area where Cyberonic in the past has gotten poor remarks from users that require these services from their ISP (e.g.: unreliable email server, no usenet news server).
Another difference is that in the case of problems a Covad-direct customer calls Covad for problem resolution and a Cyberonic customer has to go through Cyberonic support to open a trouble ticket. I don't know how that works these days, but in the past Cyberonic support was not open 24/7.
Covad service can be provisioned as PPPoE or PPPoA (seems to depend on region, but sometimes the customer can choose between the two) regardless whether you are getting dynamic or static IP address(es).
On the Cyberonic-Covad service with static IP addresses there are no port blocks as far as I can tell. Some ISPs differentiate between their dynamic and static offerings and have port blocks on dynamic service. I don't know if this is the case with Cyberonic or Covad.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!