uniqs

ninjatutle
Premium
join:2006-01-02
San Ramon, CA

1 edit

ninjatutle

Slingbox vs Hava (photos!)

Slingbox Tuner vs Hava Gold (Slingbox AV)

Hava is a Slingbox clone. They don’t encrypt the video stream. Don’t have Apple support. Have pocket pc in beta. Cost a little bit less.
»www.snappymultimedia.com ··· ndex.php
»us.slingmedia.com/page/home

Setup:

Slingbox Tuner

Video Source:
Comcast extended cable feed.

Internet Source:
Comcast cable internet. Regular speed package.

Hava Gold

Video Source:
Dish Network. 811 receiver.

Internet Source:
ATT DSL Expert + 6mb

------------
Remote viewing source:
Dell 700m laptop

Internet connection:
Sprint EVDO A

-----
Notes:
For the Hava, I had to reinstall my video and sound drivers on the laptop to get the sound to work correctly in remote mode.

The video quality speaks for itself. They are both on the highest settings. The Hava does eat up more bandwidth as you can see on the bottom of the photos. There is a little bandwidth meter.

Fox McCloud
Crazy like a fox.
join:2006-07-23

Fox McCloud

wow; Hava appears to be vastly superior.

Anyway, I would like to know what a side-by-side comparison of Hava vs Slingbox would look like if the max bandwidth is 256k.

ninjatutle
Premium
San Ramon, CA

1 edit

ninjatutle

Its not really a fair comparison because its from a sling tuner, not an AV or Pro.

Plus the Hava is pretty buggy.

Fox McCloud
Crazy like a fox.

Fox McCloud

oh, so...if I was going to stream TV to my mobile PDA (over EVDO, and later, EVDO Revision A), then you'd recommend the Slingbox?

ninjatutle
Premium
San Ramon, CA

ninjatutle

At this point, the Have mobile is in beta and is only available for the pocket pc os.

Fox McCloud
Crazy like a fox.

Fox McCloud

yeah, but Slingbox doesn't have an application for mobile phones either, does it? If it did, that'd be awesome...

Jahntassa
What, I can have feathers
Premium Member
join:2006-04-14
Conway, SC

Jahntassa to ninjatutle

Premium Member

to ninjatutle
If the phone is based on PocketPC / Windows Mobile the sling is compatible, but most service providers prohibit streaming over their networks.

And I second that, cable feed vs. dish feed is not a straight comparison.
batsona
Maryland
join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD

batsona

I'm not a Sling or Hava owner - Do both let you chose, or suggest to the server, what bitrate to use? If you're on a 100mbit network at home, why limit yourself to 500Kbit? I'd start out at 1Mbit & see what that looks like - If you've got the bandwidth, use it! Now, when streaming across the internet, that's where you'd want to use the built-in optimization, becuase peoples' upstream rates vary greatly from carrier to carrier.

Hava looks like the more standards-based version of Slingbox, using MPEG, instead of a proprietary protocol. how well does it do emulating all the cable STBs out there? how about Verizon FiOS TV's DVR?
Digi Bee
join:2007-07-13
Los Altos, CA

Digi Bee

Yes, HAVA is based on standards, MPEG 4 on your PC in local view, and MPEG 2 on your mobile phone. They recently moved to a new website: »www.myhava.com, where you can check out more details.

ninjatutle
Premium
San Ramon, CA

ninjatutle

»shop4.outpost.com/produc ··· /5287157
»shop4.outpost.com/produc ··· /5287077

The Hava is cheaper at outpost.com. Fry's had it for the same price in last weeks ad.

The Hava is still buggy as heck. Dies on you all the time and you have to reboot it when you get home or call to have someone do it for you. I have to do this about once a month with the Sling, the Hava is weekly. Firmware is all updated.

eddie NYC
@rr.com

eddie NYC to ninjatutle

Anon

to ninjatutle
hows Hava compare to Orb?

ninjatutle
Premium
San Ramon, CA

ninjatutle

I never used orb for tv so I don't know.