dliw
Premium
join:2003-03-09
Valhalla
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Atlantic Broadband

Wax on windshield

Tried a search but could not find anything. Maybe some kind person could be of assistance.

A couple of times this winter, when not able to hand wash the van, I took my van through an automatic car wash which resulted in a film of wax on the windshield.

Visibility is now decreased, which is very irritable and Windex (sp) or other glass cleaners has not removed it.

Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
--
Place loyalty and faithfulness first; don't associate with anyone who is not as good as you are, and don't hesitate to change when you have erred. - Confucius

army dude
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-17
The Internet

2 recommendations

See if you can find some of this stuff at your local auto parts store. Should be about 3.99 a can.

»www.invisibleglass.com/

Use it with a good micro-fiber towel. It works wonders on glass.

dliw
Premium
Valhalla

Thank you very much army dude See Profile. I will track it down and give it a try.

sailor
Premium
join:2003-10-21
Long Island
kudos:6
reply to army dude

said by army dude:

See if you can find some of this stuff at your local auto parts store. Should be about 3.99 a can.

»www.invisibleglass.com/

Use it with a good micro-fiber towel. It works wonders on glass.
That is what I use. Invisible Glass by Stoner. Great stuff. My local auto parts store has it for $4.99 a can. Well worth it.

And to the OP. For my glass sliding doors which face North here towards the water and get real bad I use what the local professional window cleaner told me to use. Dawn dish detergent diluted with water and then final cleaning of glass with Invisible Glass. Awesome results. So if you still have some wax residue after tyring Invisible Glass, try Dawn mixed with water in a small test area with a sponge and then use Invisible Glass over it.

iEvolution

join:2006-06-24
Ogden, UT
reply to dliw

While Invisibleglass is the shizzle, I don't think it'll remove a wax film you can try it though.

I'd try simple green, and then use invisibleglass.

BTR Tools
Premium
join:2005-09-28
Parker, CO
reply to dliw

Bon Ami Cleanser. Will not scratch.

Mike

dliw
Premium
Valhalla
reply to dliw

Thanks to all for the replies.

Muscles
Premium
join:2003-08-09
The Gym
kudos:3
reply to dliw

clay bar?

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west
reply to dliw

also try a bottle of pain coke a cola.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to Muscles

said by Muscles:

clay bar?
Negative.

»www.autogeek.net/clbaandlu.html
quote:
WHAT DOES A CLAY BAR DO?

Clay bars have the ability to grab the tiniest of debris and hold onto it as it glides across the paint. Used with the proper lubricant, clay bars are not abrasive and will not affect the paint surface with the exception of cleaning it. Anything that protrudes above the top coat surface will be grabbed by the clay bar and pulled out. The clay lubricant will prevent this debris from scratching the vehicle. Once clayed, the paint will feel remarkably smooth and have the shine that comes with perfectly clean
paint.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL
kudos:1
reply to dliw

Do what I did use mineral spirits. »Mineral Spirits to remove wax? Don't drop any on the paint. Will rip that wax right off.

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30
reply to Caddyroger

said by Caddyroger:

also try a bottle of pain coke a cola.
Coke Lore
»www.snopes.com/cokelore/cokelore.asp
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

Glenn
I'D Rather Be Skiing
Premium
join:2000-10-05
Wallingford, CT
reply to dliw

Lighter fluid may work as well.

dliw
Premium
Valhalla

Are you serious?

iEvolution

join:2006-06-24
Ogden, UT
reply to dliw

Acetone, Mineral Spirits any paint thinner will disolve the wax nicely, but you'll need a window cleaner after to get the film it will leave.

Glenn
I'D Rather Be Skiing
Premium
join:2000-10-05
Wallingford, CT
reply to dliw

said by dliw:

Are you serious?
Yes. I've used it to remove Rain-X.
--
Legal ATVing in Connecticut?

Muscles
Premium
join:2003-08-09
The Gym
kudos:3
reply to dliw

said by dliw:

Are you serious?
Yes.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand
reply to iEvolution

said by iEvolution:

Acetone, Mineral Spirits any paint thinner will disolve the wax nicely, but you'll need a window cleaner after to get the film it will leave.

Alcohol works also and it's cheap.

--
. . . relegated to the back waters of the internet . . .

dliw
Premium
Valhalla
Reviews:
·Atlantic Broadband
reply to Glenn

said by Glenn:

said by dliw:

Are you serious?
Yes. I've used it to remove Rain-X.
WOW! Guess I'll have to wait until the rain stops before I can try any of these suggestions.

A very appreciative thank you to all.
--
Place loyalty and faithfulness first; don't associate with anyone who is not as good as you are, and don't hesitate to change when you have erred. - Confucius

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
reply to dliw

Bon Ami works in the rain.

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30

said by PrntRhd:

Bon Ami works in the rain.
And it is for cleaning glass plus it does not affect paint like the multiple petroleum based products being mentioned will do.

--

me

join:2002-12-08
Iapetus
reply to dliw

Imagine that wax in freezing weather. It creates a permanent frost.

dliw
Premium
Valhalla
Reviews:
·Atlantic Broadband
reply to dliw

Used Bon Ami and then Invisible Glass last night. Worked absolutely great. Still raining and at night with headlights from other cars went for a ride. Crystal clear!

Thank you all so very much!
--