spc
Search similar:

uniqs
etech8
join:2007-04-16
Bartlesville, OK

etech8

Ping problems with gaming?

I play BF1942, never had a problem until the last week or so.

The problem is I can play for maybe 30 minutes or so and then my ping goes very high. I quit the game, run ping plotter and after 15-20 minutes it goes back to its normal 20 time.

The slowdown is with the first cableone.net site on the list.

Could this have something to do with new caps? Upload and download speeds when the ping is normal are normal.

Is cableone going after gamers? If so, I'll find a different service?

Is anyone else having this problem?

lostinms
Moo
join:2001-11-29
Grenada, MS

1 edit

lostinms

Never had any problems gaming. Are you sure you are not running any bit torrents in the back ground or software similar to that?

Also there could be a problem on cableone's end. You will have to ride their back to get anything fix.
etech8
join:2007-04-16
Bartlesville, OK

etech8

I'm starting to wonder if it is my old SB3100 modem going out.

I have 3Mb service and it works well for that so I haven't seen any reason to replace it. It has dropped the signal a few times recently but I thought it was just my new location(recently moved).

I guess it is possible that long sustained high usage could cause a component to overheat leading to high pings. The weather has been warmer recently. Perhaps I need to put that SB5101 on my shopping list and try that first.

lostinms
Moo
Grenada, MS

lostinms

It might not be the modem it could be the cable in the area that you live in now. Have you talk to cableone tech support and have the see whats going on with your internet. They are annoying but they usually will be able to see the problem and would be able to dispatch a repair man to your area.

I did have some problems in my area but after worrying cableone about it the magically disappear.

areoh
join:2001-11-10
Kansas City, MO

areoh to etech8

to etech8
No, CableOne is not going after gamers. Compared to torrents, gaming takes up very little load. You're not going to hit caps just by gaming.

Yes, CALL CableOne (don't waist time sending email). Get a tech to come out and check your lines if they're not having issues on their end.

BTW, these caps are not new.
areoh

areoh to etech8

to etech8
Yes, it could very well be your modem gettin' old and overheating. I've recently retired an old PCX1100. It used to fail when it got warm too.

Sagean
@cableone.net

Sagean to etech8

Anon

to etech8
I would suggest replacing the cm as the first trouble shooting step. Then if that doesnt work which it should, call tech support at 877-692-2253
asemblR
join:2002-12-24
Fort Scott, KS

asemblR to etech8

to etech8
it's the ATT servers in Dallas thats causing that!!!!!
get a program called HLSW (Half-Life Server Watcher)
and it has a neat continuous pinger tool and you can see a graphical output of those crappy ATT Dallas Switches.
I run 3 Urban Terror (q3) servers in dallas usually I ping 25-35 then all of a sudden it shoots though the roof to 250.
ack.
I live in Vinita. and we do not even have the DSL option.

gg cableone

areoh
join:2001-11-10
Kansas City, MO

areoh

The OP uses Ping Plotter. It does the same thing HLSW does. Just a FYI.

etech, what's the status of your problem?

cvagor
@cableone.net

cvagor to etech8

Anon

to etech8
I'm having problems with my ping out of Fargo ND. I usually ping 30 to chicago servers but as of a month ago my ping to chicago has risen to 70-80. I ran a tracert and i'm being routed through dallas and then to chicago instead of through minneapolis. Could there be something wrong with the internet's routers?
SellerzJS
join:2005-03-30
Oxford, AL

SellerzJS to etech8

to etech8
My connection has been doing the exact same thing for the last week or two..So has my cousins..We'll be playing a game, then out of nowhere our ping will start spiking so horribly it's impossible to play..and it last between 10min, to over an hour. It's extremely frustrating....but it's very expected from cableone, seeing as how they terrible they are.

lostinms
Moo
Grenada, MS

lostinms

Well I know some of my problems with high pings was level 3. It would hit their servers and my ping would be up there in 200's. But I did have problems here too, somewhere between my house and the local cableone office.