share rss forum feed

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4

[CATV] Did my box die?

did my cable box die? it says HAL2 then boot then display goes out[doesn't animate like normal when booting/getting guide data].
on the screen is the DCT logo then like 10 minutes later it says advanced network capabilities not available, tunes to channel 94 and does nothing. remote cant change channels either.
its a scientific atlanta model 3250HD.
are these symptoms of a dead cable box?
--
You can never be too rich, too thin or have too much Bandwidth

needforspeed59
Cruise Ship Just Passing Through

join:2001-05-02
La Place, LA
It is rebooting itself? Have you tried a manual reboot? I have never seen this with my box.
--
Of all the people I know... you're one of them.

Fubar16

join:2001-02-20
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:2
reply to dvd536
If it says 94 on it,

That indicates no incoming (or poor quality) RF signal.....

Have you checked all connections/splitters etc.....

Also run incoming cable straight to TV, Is picture there and OK?

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ

1 edit
said by Fubar16:

If it says 94 on it,

That indicates no incoming (or poor quality) RF signal.....

Have you checked all connections/splitters etc.....

Also run incoming cable straight to TV, Is picture there and OK?
I ran cable from wall to T.V. and could get all expanded basic. turns out the digital gateway must have been down. it was out for about 4 hours. first time for me that TV has been down and cablemodem was unaffected.
edit: I noticed now my modems upstream power level has gone up to 52, there is only one splitter on the line and its in good shape[its a quality splitter]. I'm not having issues with the modem just noticed levels are higher than normal.
---

BillRoland
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL
kudos:3
Same thing happened here a few weeks ago, got up and turned the TV on that morning and just had the analog channels, lasted for a few hours. Scientific Atlanta gear as well.
--
"Don't steal. The government hates competition."

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
said by BillRoland:

Same thing happened here a few weeks ago, got up and turned the TV on that morning and just had the analog channels, lasted for a few hours. Scientific Atlanta gear as well.
Whats weird is it would only tune channel 94(analog PBS) channel up/down/number keys on remote didnt work at all. did that happen to you too?
--

intercede007

join:2002-10-20
Fort Walton Beach, FL

1 edit
The box came up in one-way service without an IP address.

That indicates either an RF issue or a head end problem.

Did it work properly later in the afternoon?

BillRoland
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to dvd536
No the remote worked ok and I got channels 2-99 in analog (usually they're digital simulcast). The problem was corrected at some point that morning because when I got in at lunch it was working again.
--
"Don't steal. The government hates competition."

robertfl
Premium
join:2005-10-10
Mary Esther, FL
It's a headend problem. This happened here once before. You may want to call them just to be sure.

After the switch, all of our channels were redirected to the 1000's range (analog) then put back in their proper digital settings.

Here, 99 is a digital only channel. They air some show called "shopnet" (never heard of it) then a Cox Media graphic through out the day.

Rob

intercede007

join:2002-10-20
Fort Walton Beach, FL
said by robertfl:

It's a headend problem. This happened here once before. You may want to call them just to be sure.
Not necessarily. Many things can render the box incapable of recieving an IP address. Most of them are RF related.

In any case, no, the box is not failing. It was a temporary issue. Whether it had to do with the cable plant or the head end is anybody's guess.

No worries, the box is fine

robertfl
Premium
join:2005-10-10
Mary Esther, FL
Speaking of boxes, will we have more updates to the software here in Ft. Walton? I remembered people have been reporting slow access on the 3250 with OnDemand with the old software.

Hopefully, when we get OD, (hopefully soon..) will there be another update to the firmware?

Rob

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to dvd536
Well it appears whatever cox was doing they are done with. my modem upstream is back to 45
Thanks cox
--