spc
Search similar:

uniqs
81399672 (banned)
join:2006-05-17
Los Angeles, CA

81399672 (banned)

[Excel] How do you put 2 scatter lines in to same graph

I got 2 separate data and i need to put both of them in to the same graph, can't seem to find a way to tell excel to add the data to the same graph that already exist.

I got excel 07 if that makes a different
TIA

2kmaro
Think

join:2000-07-11
Oklahoma City, OK

2kmaro

I don't have an immediate answer for you - graphing in 2007 is a new beast (and not a well behaved one at that, IMHO). One of the best sources of info for All-Things-Charting is Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP, who is someone that other Excel (and non-Excel) MVPs go to for advice on tough charting problems. You might find some help at his site:
»peltiertech.com/ he's got charting tips and tutorials that may turn up something.
81399672 (banned)
join:2006-05-17
Los Angeles, CA

81399672 (banned)

thanks will check it out, ye 07 really changed everything and i am starting to feel like noob again when i was considering my self to be advanced user of excel

2kmaro
Think

join:2000-07-11
Oklahoma City, OK

2kmaro

At least Help is pretty good about showing you where they hid things in the ribbon when you ask how to do something. As with almost any new product of this complexity they've got some problems. Excel seems almost "almost finished" at times. They completely rewrote the graphics/charting engine and there are some pretty ugly surprises waiting in it at times. There are also features of VB in it that some have said are not complete: that the language doesn't completely support the new features. I haven't run into that myself...yet.

What I have run into is are things like finding out that when you record a macro while creating a chart, you really don't record a macro. Most of your keystrokes simply are not recorded. So you can't record a macro to create a chart with any expectation of using it to recreate that same chart from the same or different data later.

The really great chart wizard that used to be there is gone, and in its place is a process that is (to me) illogical in its sequence and does not provide a complete graph/chart when you reach the end. For example, it doesn't even ask you about a title for the graph. Default line width for an X-Y scatterchart is about that of a dull Crayon - useless for really telling where data points are on a chart with more than just a few.

Like you, I had problems in it when working with data series - it seems you have to work with each data series individually when changing something that should be changeable as a group, such as line width.

And it's SLOW! I learned most of this through one experience. One of our members asked for some input and help on graphing a huge amount of data. He had outputs from lab equipment with almost 1/2 million data points and we recommended he move to 2007 since it will take up to just over a million rows of data. That part went fine, but when I started breaking it down into chunks of 8800 data points (51 or 52 charts to be made from the data) things went downhill rapidly:

While we could get all the data into a single sheet, we couldn't put the charts on the same sheet. After 4 charts, Excel threw an error saying the chart had over 32,000 data points on it. Not true, each had 8,800 but Excel apparently doesn't properly reset the counter when you put multiple charts on the same sheet. At that point Excel performance (on two different high-end dual-core systems) was out the window. Any change to a chart resulted in a wait measured in minutes, and even just changing focus from one cell to another took enough time that you'd think Excel had stopped responding completely. Applications outside of Excel running at the same time, ran fine. So it was an Excel issue, not a system issue.

And, as I mentioned, it was watch-paint-drying slow. After I did get things running, the process of reading the data into the workbook and graphing it all took 11 to 12 minutes (again, on those dual-core machines: AMD X2 4800+, Intel Core2 Duo E6600). While the same process, including charting took under 2 minutes on an older single-core AMD 3200+ running Excel 2003. Both would read the data in about the same time [roughly 1m 30s] but Excel 2003 would handle the charting in only an added 10 to 15 seconds processing time, while Excel 2007 took another 10 to 12 minutes!

In the end, I wrote routines to read the data into separate sheets with separate charts on each sheet and he went back to Excel 2003 for his charting needs.