spc
Search similar:

uniqs

stubbs73nm
join:2005-04-26
Aztec, NM

stubbs73nm

What is happening here...

I have tried localnet, and another low cost isp, and after almost a month, the POP will no longer accept my username and password. I can ASSURE all of you the password is correct in my Cisco 804 router. Another ISP solves the problem, and while I was with localnet, they told me they have NO hourly limits. I disagree. The outages both began after a long download, and in the case of localnet, a username change fixed the problem, for another month, at least.

Any ideas?

BTW, localnet tech support has got to be the most clueless, flipchart using bunch of folks on the planet.
jmcaruso
join:2001-09-07
Rowley, MA

jmcaruso

Maybe it is not hourly limits but the fact that you are (probably) effectively logged in twice if you are doing 128K ISDN, one connection for each B channel. Some ISP's don't let you do that unless you buy an account specifically for dual-channel ISDN. Other ISP's don't really have a policy but it looks to them like two parties are using the same login ID, which is frequently against the terms, and either automatically or manually your ISDN SPID's are getting banned.

I don't know how much money you are willing or able to spend for access, but you will probably have a better experience if you buy from an ISP which understands ISDN and supports it directly.

stubbs73nm
Aztec, NM

stubbs73nm

Sarcasm is not directed at you, but at localnet. I mean no disrespect.

I'm a old hand at isdn, sorry, didn't specify that. FWIW, localnet PROMISED me, across several tech support calls, that this was not the case, and YES, they do support dual channel ISDN and it is totally unlimited. I also made it painfully clear what ISDN meant, dual, simultaneous, concurrent connections, and yes, they said they support that, too.

While I've had isdn for about 3 years now, I don't know how to go in to a cisco 804 and see the disconnect reasons, therefore I never had much to go on, other than it ain't working. I can modify my .ios file, open ports, and all of that other fun stuff, and I can do the telnet command line if I'm forced to, but I can't seem to find out how to log a disconnect reason. If I had a disconnect reason, I could go back to localnet and say HERE is why I cannot connect.

I'm currently paying for ISDN:

$112.00 for the QWORST circuit (no, I did NOT mispell that)
39.99 for isdnisp.com internet access
15.00 for internet through my cellphone as a backup when my isdn goes out.
5.00 per month to el-cheapo isp as a backup to that (this uses the same pop as localnet, and has done the same thing.

Satellite is out of the question, and not enough people on my road justify a frac-t1. Kick in the $30 per month for Eve-Online for my wife and I, and this computer thing comes to real dollars.

Bottom line, it appears to me that my SPIDs are getting blocked from the owner of the POP, not the reseller. How can I tell? When I make a voice call to the pop, I get modem signals. From what I understand of how isdn works(D channel signalling), if they blocked my spids, that shouldn't happen, should it?

If I could also figure out how to make the cisco disconnect after x minutes of no activity, it would go a long way towards lowering my monthly hours. My problem is my wireless network stays up when the computers are off, and I believe they are communicating in some way to the outside world and keeping the connection alive. I've been to lazy to load a packet sniffer and go inspect EVERY packet on the wire.

Thanks in advance... and truly, I mean no disrespect to you, I'm just frustrated.
aeblank
join:2004-09-07
Cadillac, MI

aeblank

I know this doesn't help, but I have localnet (as do my parents) and we both stay connected 24x7.

Let me know what you find as far as a 'disconnect reason'. I'd love to know that stuff too. I take care of (soon to be) 3 cisco 804s......

stubbs73nm
Aztec, NM

stubbs73nm

I think I did figure out late last night how to make the Cisco 804 ignore traffic from the wireless router and extender.

In looking at the logs of the wireless router (DI-524) I saw many attempts at DHCP. I gave it a static ip for the WAN interface, and blocked 255.255.255.255 and 192.168.0.255 in the Cisco's access list. 200 seconds after I turned all of the computers off, I get that funny red light blink-blink and then off on the 804! I've been chasing this auto-disconnect for at least a year.

I modified the suggested .ios config file from the faq of this forum with my own info, added my port forward needs, added my own access list strings, and now I think I have a much cleaner .ios.