join:2003-07-06
Hampton Bays, NY
kudos:7

[video] UPS Delivers !

downloadups.zip 6,820,461 bytes
Video
(ups.avi)

File Information
Reposted video from 7/20/2005 for those who have not seen it, this was a UPS delivery to my house.

Ryan
Premium
join:2001-03-03
Braintree, MA

Did you report that??

Uhawl
-- watching --
Premium
join:2000-10-21
Asylum
reply to IllIlIlllIll

You can afford all the surveillance equipment to capture this video, but can't afford to trim your hedges? If you don't have enough respect for your visitors to have the front walk accessible, then you deserve to have you packages tossed at your door. It may not be "professional" behavior by the UPS driver, but you earned it by not being accommodating to his arrival.

Loker
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Fargo, ND

1 recommendation

said by Uhawl:

You can afford all the surveillance equipment to capture this video, but can't afford to trim your hedges? If you don't have enough respect for your visitors to have the front walk accessible, then you deserve to have you packages tossed at your door. It may not be "professional" behavior by the UPS driver, but you earned it by not being accommodating to his arrival.
if I remember correctly the hedges were not in the way....there was a spider web...
--
"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic inQuake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY
reply to Uhawl

said by Uhawl:

i expected this to happen since my regular landscaper "disappeared" and at the time, i was not at home for more than a week.
--
S.C.P.D. Live Scanner Feed
N.C.P.D. Live Scanner Feed

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY
reply to Loker

said by Loker:

said by Uhawl:

if I remember correctly the hedges were not in the way....there was a spider web...
yes.
it was one of those really tough spider webs, lol.
--

Combat Chuck
Too Many Cannibals
Premium
join:2001-11-29
Verona, PA

Wow, you have no clue how hard the automated sorting equipment treats your packages do you? If you did, you'd know that that's nothing.
--
Revolution!!!... or some such nonsense.

Voodoo288
Common Sense Dictates
Premium
join:2002-08-19
Richmond, VA
reply to IllIlIlllIll

Wow do you guys work for ups or somthing? If the package was fragile I hope he was fired.
--
Every morning is the dawn of a new error.

older dog
Premium
join:2005-06-09
reply to IllIlIlllIll

The driver went to work for FedEx.
They crushed the box and damaged my new video card a couple weeks ago.

fegul
Premium
join:2004-08-23
united state
kudos:1
reply to IllIlIlllIll

I have the thread you originally posted that video in bookmarked
--
Fegul.com

Danimal85

join:2006-05-03
reply to IllIlIlllIll

I used to work at UPS and there is NO automated sorting. The boxes get unloaded from the trucks (by PEOPLE) onto a conveyor belt. The belt takes them to the "primary sort" where more PEOPLE put them on the correct belt to take the boxes to different areas of the hub. Then more PEOPLE take those boxes off the belt and into the correct truck. Then even more PEOPLE load those boxes into the truck. All that being said, you are one lucky SOB if all your package went through was a toss.

docutech
Dream With Color

join:2000-12-22
Saint Louis, MO
reply to IllIlIlllIll

WOW

I probably speak for others as well here but I rely on the major delivery companies on a daily basis and if I ever saw one handle my package in such manner there would be serious consequences. I imagine just on this forum alone there are hundreds if not thousands of people who at one point or another have ordered goods via the web and had them delivered by "brown". As other posters have mentioned, what if it was a hard drive or some other form of fragile electronic that was just irresponsibly thrown onto a porch as it was the morning paper?

Great job capturing the disrespect or lack there of! I hope he's fired and gets a job chucking newspapers for a living...

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·PHONE POWER
reply to IllIlIlllIll

I agree with all the points of view...

Yes, the packages go through MUCH worse than that before arriving at our door.

Yes, the driver should be severely reprimanded for PUBLICLY handling a package as such.

Yes a clear path to the door should be available to the driver.

Catching it on video = priceless + pwnd!
--
Mom was right...I need more FIBER>

Combat Chuck
Too Many Cannibals
Premium
Verona, PA

1 edit
reply to Danimal85

said by Danimal85:

I used to work at UPS and there is NO automated sorting.
The key phrase there being "used to", which infers that your next statement should have been "there used to be no automated sorting."

»www.secondmoment.org/articles/ups.php

second question:
quote:
KW: Essentially the Operations Research group has two sides to it, an optimization group and a simulation group. On the simulation side, our main focus right now is a huge new facility that we’re in the process of building in Louisville. We started work on it about three years ago and it’s scheduled to be fully operational next summer, at which time it will be the largest automated sorting facility in the world.
This is from at the latest 2003.
--

Ca1avera
Conserve Water, Drink Beer
Premium
join:2004-06-17
Houston, TX
reply to IllIlIlllIll

The first time you posted I suggested you sell the video to FEd/EX. Now I can see F/E doing a little rip off the mac and pc commercial.

Jeffrey
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium
join:2002-12-24
Long Island
kudos:3
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Verizon FiOS
·Vonage

3 edits
reply to IllIlIlllIll

"What can brown do for you?"

Well, lets see--according to this video, they can throw my shit all around the place, making me spend the better part of a Saturday morning starting the RMA process for that motherboard I ordered.

Edit: Although if I ran into a nasty spider web, I'd freak a little too I think. Especially those damn Wolf spiders, yuck.

Trimline
Premium
join:2004-10-24
Windermere, FL
reply to IllIlIlllIll

Yuck. That's a nasty house. Over grown everything, junk cars and stinky trash cans abound.

I side with the delivery man.

--
FWD#537129

ds5v50

join:2003-01-22
Fremont, OH
reply to IllIlIlllIll

Reminds me of a SuperMicro Blade Server, 2 WD Harddrives, Intel P4 3.0GHZ Processor, OCZ 2Gig Memory Sticks tossed onto
my front porch. While I watched. I told him "Hey that was $3000 dollars worth of Equipment you just dropped there on the porch. His reply. " It wasn't really that far " I took pictures just in case anything was broke. No bushes,webs, or trash cans in his way... No excuse IMO

MrBentor

join:2003-02-18
Seattle, WA
reply to Jeffrey

Hey now, wolf spiders make great supplement to guard dogs. You'd be surprised how many grown men who may stand to a big dog but scream like a little girl when they see a 'big' spider on their coat sleeve.

Jeffrey
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium
join:2002-12-24
Long Island
kudos:3
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Verizon FiOS
·Vonage

said by MrBentor:

Hey now, wolf spiders make great supplement to guard dogs. You'd be surprised how many grown men who may stand to a big dog but scream like a little girl when they see a 'big' spider on their coat sleeve.
I know, I'm one of them.
--
"When you get lost in your imaginatory vagueness, your foresight becomes a nimble vagrant."

[Ramblings] [RIP Millie 1993-2006]

HardwareGeek

join:2003-11-15
Brooklyn, NY
reply to IllIlIlllIll

Big deal, I had my UPS driver drop a package down some stairs. Thankfully newegg and acer packed the monitor correctly.
--
Email/MSN: Michael at hardwaregeeks.comAIM: MikeR35292

Ryno
The Wanderer
Premium
join:2001-04-07
Danielsville, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·RCN CABLE
reply to IllIlIlllIll

said by IllIlIlllIll:

said by Uhawl:

i expected this to happen since my regular landscaper "disappeared" and at the time, i was not at home for more than a week.
Looks like months of growth, not a week. You should post a vid of the walk from the street up to the porch, cause it sure does look like it zig-zags around a tree and through the bushes.

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to Voodoo288

said by Voodoo288:

Wow do you guys work for ups or somthing? If the package was fragile I hope he was fired.
Yeap the driver was wrong he should have taken back to terminal because he could get to the house and had the the person come and get it. there should a letter stating that they will not deliver to that address unless there a sidewalk that clear junk cars bushes.

Premium
join:2005-10-01
reply to IllIlIlllIll

by the looks of the yard and drive, he should have left the package on the curb

Danimal85

join:2006-05-03
reply to Combat Chuck

said by Combat Chuck:

The key phrase there being "used to", which infers that your next statement should have been "there used to be no automated sorting."

Yea, used to as in 1 year ago. Dude, there is no automated sorting. No matter how much you want to be right, you're not. Where are you getting your information from anyway? Have you ever personally seen the inside of a UPS hub?

ninjatutle
Premium

join:2006-01-02
San Ramon, CA
reply to IllIlIlllIll

Could be a fake video.

You see a shot of a UPS bread truck, guy get out, guy toss a box.

The shot of the van could have been shot on one day, the shot of the guy throwing the box at another time.

Combat Chuck
Too Many Cannibals
Premium
Verona, PA

3 edits
reply to Danimal85

said by Danimal85:

Where are you getting your information from anyway?
A trade magazine that I linked to where they interview a with a guy from UPS.

apparently that's not enough:
»money.howstuffworks.com/ups2.htm
»www.pressroom.ups.com/pressrelea···,00.html

If they're planning to offer next day service, particularly to international destinations, they're going to have automated sorting equipment; automated sorting is the whole point of maxicode.

--

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY
reply to ninjatutle

downloadups.zip 7,218,679 bytes
(ups.avi)
said by ninjatutle:

Could be a fake video.

You see a shot of a UPS bread truck, guy get out, guy toss a box.

The shot of the van could have been shot on one day, the shot of the guy throwing the box at another time.
heres the original video to dispel your theory.
the video i posted, i did some editing to it, specifically to emphasize each frame the action is contained in.
--

Quaoar

join:2004-08-11
Fort Collins, CO

In support of the UPS agent, although I do not have video evidence, one UPS driver/agent tossed a large package from the cul-de-sac in front of my house to the deck next to the front door because (I believe) my German Shepherd Dog, Karli, was doing her protection dog routine behind the front door. The toss was about 25 feet. Heh! No damage ensued from the toss!

OK,I admit that Karli, viewed from the front in the open, was (she died in February, 2007) looking like a vicious dog. However, she was inside the house at the time of this delivery. OTOH, although she looked dangerous, she was in fact a pussycat; the deliver agent had no knowledge of this. This, notwithstanding, does not excuse Karli or I, her owner, from complicity in this tossing even though the Karli dog was behind a closed door.

BTW, no signature was required for the package.

Anyway, this type of pathological delivery does happen, for sometimes realistic reasons: the delivery driver/agent obviously had experience with dangerous dogs, and elected for the "toss" rather than the "ring the doorbell" and possible "threat to his/her life" delivery.

I cannot fault his decision to toss. Most commercial shipments are impervious to tossing. OTOH, a computer should be returned to the UPS station rather than to be tossed.

Q

boogi man

join:2001-11-13
Jacksonville, FL
kudos:1
reply to IllIlIlllIll

im calling bs on the vid too. i worked as a jumper during peak season once and then in the hub as a loader for a while. spidies or not the box woulda gotten to the door w/o being thrown. also whats with the date on the video? plus there's plenty of time between when he walks off frame then back on again for some kind of swticheroo. also who has ever seen a package car driver drive that slowly? i know i never have. even when they appear to be lost they do it in a hurry.

also on the point of keeping the path clear man that's not a weeks growth.