WalkGood
Checkin out where you are!
Premium Member
join:2002-12-28
Patchogue, NY

WalkGood

Premium Member

Dynamically create slideshow of "nnn" images in a folder

Wondering if this exists already so I do not "recreate the wheel".

I'd like to have a folder or folders on my website that contain images that are added to periodically. When a user on the site clicks a link to view images in a particular folder, I'd like a slideshow type presentation of those images. I do not want to modify any code each time a new image is uploaded. I want some dynamic process to run on the server which retrieves a list of all the images in that folder and then creates slideshow code to present those images.

I kinda-sorta have an idea on how I would do this using Java servlets or JSP. But if something already exists (and free and/or open-source type stuff) then I'd rather not have to "reinvent the wheel".

Hopefully I have expressed clearly what I am looking for?

theedj
Right Back At-Cha
Premium Member
join:2002-12-12
Calgary

theedj

Premium Member

I modified a Flash example that uses an XML stream to regenerate the XML stream each time the page is called, then automatically run the Flash slide-show. It's not very user friendly in that it will display images only with no navigation. You can define the cross-fade time, and order of the photos (random, sequential) and that's about it.

I'm sure something like what you're looking for exists though.

TechyDad
Premium Member
join:2001-07-13
USA

TechyDad to WalkGood

Premium Member

to WalkGood
I've done something like that before with my DropGallery script ( »www.jasons-toolbox.com/D ··· Gallery/ ). You could probably take that and improve upon it to get it to run automatically.

Better yet, you could use the Interface Elements for JQuery Slideshow plugin: »interface.eyecon.ro/demo ··· how.html

WalkGood
Checkin out where you are!
Premium Member
join:2002-12-28
Patchogue, NY

WalkGood

Premium Member

Thanks for the ideas.

I do not know PHP, but I guess this is a good excuse to get started.

TechyDad
Premium Member
join:2001-07-13
USA

TechyDad

Premium Member

I've done a similar image listing script using ASP as well. I don't know JSP, but I'm guessing that you could do the same thing with JSP also.