uniqs

netwire
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Dallas, NC

netwire to Jeff

Premium Member

to Jeff

Re: [Tech] Gas/oil mixture for snowblower, can use in the car?

Perhaps next year, instead of mixing the fuel just keep the oil and gas separated and mix it in the tank of the snowblower. This will allow you to use any remaining gas safely in your vehicle.

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

Perhaps next year, instead of mixing the fuel just keep the oil and gas separated and mix it in the tank of the snowblower. This will allow you to use any remaining gas safely in your vehicle.

NO! NO! NO!
Mix your gas and oil in the separate container. Trying to mix in the snowblower tank? What are you going to do, get two guys to pick it up and shake the snowblower?

First couple of replies is best. Fuel stabilizer, or leave it for next year.

Glen1
These Are The Good Ol' Days.
MVM
join:2002-05-24
GTA Canada

Glen1 to Jeff

MVM

to Jeff
Interesting topic...just had to add some points. There is a tendency for gas in a can to have a small amount of sediment collecting in the bottom over the years. If you do put it in your vehicle try to use a straining device to make sure the sediment doesn't transfer to your vehicle...otherwise a good fuel stabilizer will allow you to use the gas next year. The oil won't normally harm the engine but I would check the owner's manual before doing it.

idjk
@sprintlink.net

idjk to inova

Anon

to inova
said by inova:

What about the filter in the snowblower? It doesn't complain. or in any 2 cycle engine. We do this all the time. 2-cycle oil is designed for combustion. We dump our stale 2-cycle gas mix into a vehicle to get rid of it. That way we always have fresh gas for the small 2-cycle engines.
What he said- If you have a lot and you say you don't use it, I have used left over for years in my cars on 4 stroke lawn eq.
Don't forget that auto engine oil is spread by splash and oil rings on the cylinder walls of all 4 stroke engines and some of that oil is burnt- older the car the more oil burnt.

MysticGogeta
The Robot Devil
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Katy, TX

MysticGogeta to Jeff

Premium Member

to Jeff
If its a old car and you want an excuse to replace it then use it be one fine experiment to see what it does.

Wills9
join:2001-01-03
Port Charlotte, FL

Wills9 to Jeff

to Jeff
While this used to be an acceptable practice in the old days before electronics and sensors, it's not a smart idea now. The oil will crud up the MAF sensor and can cause deposits on fuel injectors.

POB
Res Firma Mitescere Nescit
Premium Member
join:2003-02-13
Stepford, CA

POB to Jeff

Premium Member

to Jeff
said by Jeff:

Is this gas/oil mixture for the snowblower OK to put right in the car's gas tank?
Sure, go ahead and try it. And when your father blows up himself and everyone else on his block, then he can be nominated for a Darwin Award.

Jeff
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium Member
join:2002-12-24
GMT -5

Jeff

Premium Member

said by POB:
said by Jeff:

Is this gas/oil mixture for the snowblower OK to put right in the car's gas tank?
Sure, go ahead and try it. And when your father blows up himself and everyone else on his block, then he can be nominated for a Darwin Award.
I know I'm not supposed to feed the trolls, but I can't resist...

As shown by the posts here, it won't happen.

And it didn't. He added the gas/oil mixture - just under a gallon of it - to the car last night. The car is running fine, and they already put 100 miles on it since putting it in the tank.

He also talked to our local mechanic, a guy we've used for 25 years...he said the car would be fine to accept the gas/oil mixture, and that he does it all the time.

Sly
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Tennessee

Sly to POB

Premium Member

to POB
said by POB:

And when your father blows up himself and everyone else on his block...
huh? Last I heard mixing oil with gas made it LESS flamable...

Jeff
Premium Member
GMT -5

Jeff to Glen1

Premium Member

to Glen1
said by Glen1:

Interesting topic...just had to add some points. There is a tendency for gas in a can to have a small amount of sediment collecting in the bottom over the years. If you do put it in your vehicle try to use a straining device to make sure the sediment doesn't transfer to your vehicle...otherwise a good fuel stabilizer will allow you to use the gas next year. The oil won't normally harm the engine but I would check the owner's manual before doing it.
Thanks for all the replies everyone. Found my answer, and learned a lot.
join:2000-10-10
Decatur, GA

8744675 to Jeff

to Jeff
You can dump leftover lawnmower gas (as in GAS ONLY) into your car's gas tank at the end of the season to use it up, but I wouldn't recommend a gas/oil mixture.

2 cycle engines operate differently than those that use gasoline only, and you're likely to end up with clogged fuel injectors, oil fouled spark plugs or exhaust that looks like a mosquito fogger truck just went through the neighborhood.

Reg Mauler
Premium Member
join:2004-01-06
Phoenix,AZ

2 recommendations

Reg Mauler to Jeff

Premium Member

to Jeff
I don't know where this myth that mixed gas can't be put in a cars gas tank came from, but it's completely untrue. How is it going to damage anything? The oil is designed to be burned with the combustion of the gas. As far as clogging any sensors or fuel injectors or some dumb shit like that I'd say it's not gonna happen, first because the stuff will immediately be diluted with the rest of your gas in the tank and the duration that the car will be burning the mix will be short. As far as clogging the MAF or a fuel injector, please explain how this would be possible considering the MAF never even sees any gas mixture of any sort and the fuel injector would be more likely to have deposits from shitty gas then from a small amount of 2-cycle oil.

Sly
Premium Member
Tennessee

1 recommendation

Sly to Jeff

Premium Member

to Jeff
The difference in viscosity between regular gas and gas/oil mix is not enough to clog injectors. If I were going to put 2 stroke gas in my car I would do it at the gas station. Put in a few gallons of mixed gas into the tank and then fill it the rest of the way up with regular gas to dilute it. If you have a lot of mixed gas to use up then you may have to spread it out over several fillups at the station.

The other option is just to mix in some fuel stabilizer into the gas and keep it until next season.

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

1 recommendation

mattmag

It has nothing to do with viscosity. It's about oil coming in contact with certain rubber seals that exist in fuel injection systems that *may* cause a problem.

It would not have to be a large amount of oil, but I do agree that smaller additions of a mix into a tank of gas would not be an issue, but I would NOT want to make it a habit.

Fuel systems are designed for gasoline, not oil. There are many places in the system all the way from the in-tank pumps, to fuel lines to pressure regulators and injectors where o-ring seals are used, and it could very likely cause a problem if done often or in high quantities.

-Matt

dodgetech2
join:2002-01-01
Gouldsboro, PA

4 edits

dodgetech2 to Wills9

to Wills9
said by Wills9:

The oil will crud up the MAF sensor and can cause deposits on fuel injectors.
LOL, yeah I guess if he poured it into the air intake it would..

MAF= Mass Air Flow......No where near the combustion
chamber..:)
said by iLive4Fusion:

the ECU of the car would have to work hard too change the timing of the valves
As if its not hard enough already..

the way those valves move, the darn wires keep breaking..

Jeff
Premium Member
GMT -5

Jeff to Sly

Premium Member

to Sly
Hey guys, I know this thread has run its course, and by golly, I learned a lot (and I think some of you did too)....the car is running fine! On it's 3rd fillup since pouring the gas/oil mixture into it. Anywho...

In a mysterious set of circumstances that I might blame on someone in this thread, my Dad's electric lawnmower broke, after 29 years of faithful, dependable use. I just helped him go to the Homo Depot and buy a gas mower. So next year, when he has excess fuel left over from the snow blower, he'll just put it right in the mower.

Problem solved.

I learned a lot. I learned that me and whole bunch of y'all don't know shit about engines, and the select few of you are right on target with your knowledge!

Thanks for all the replies, and the interesting thread!
emissionsdoc
join:2002-04-19
IN & FL

1 recommendation

emissionsdoc to Jeff

to Jeff
The math on a 20:1 ratio works out(1oz. oil/ 20oz. gas). Now add that to 1920 oz.(15 gallons) gas so the total is 1 ounce oil to 1939 oz. gas or 1939:1. Most fuel additives are carried in some type of oil base. Many people have added oil products to fuels. Some of the more common names such as Marvel Mystery oils, STP fuel treatments, various older companies sold Top-Oil to help lubricate the intake stems and upper cylinder areas for a century. I have cut injectors open and found no o-rings near any moving parts. Some external seals may contain rubber items but when they took sulphur from diesel years ago, many components suffered from the lack of lube. Your engine's converter is subjected to more oil on start-up if it has weak valve guide seals than was added when you dissolved the lawn mower mixture into your car. If anything, you did a little top-end lube with this method of disposal. I add Marvel to all my lawn equipment, boat, motorcycles, and cars especially if I'm only driving them occasionally. Those electric pumps need all the lube they can get to last 150K miles. Anyone who thinks 1939:1 mixture will cause smoke at the tailpipe has been 'smokin something' that's not legal and it's not from any tailpipe either.

Sly
Premium Member
Tennessee

Sly to Jeff

Premium Member

to Jeff
I know that this thread is over... but one other thought: In the interest of efficiency, why not buy a LEAF blower to put the fuel in? Problem solved. In the winter you put the mixed gas in the snow blower and then when it warms up, you use the same gas in your leaf blower. Both use mixed gas and both are used at different times of the year. This way you use mixed gas year round. I know after buying a leaf blower I would not go without one. They are just too useful...

Jeff
Premium Member
GMT -5

1 edit

Jeff

Premium Member

Good idea, but we already have a leaf blower - an electric one. We use it sometimes, but most of the time, we use this funny thing called a "rake".

The lawnmower broke, so that's the first thing to replace.

Sly
Premium Member
Tennessee

Sly

Premium Member

If you haven't already, get a LawnBoy lawnmower. They are 2 stroke. I have one and they will flat out mow a tree down.

Jeff
Premium Member
GMT -5

Jeff

Premium Member

said by Sly:

If you haven't already, get a LawnBoy lawnmower. They are 2 stroke. I have one and they will flat out mow a tree down.
I'll mention it to him. I went with him today to get one, and I thought we were set, so I left. I come back to ask him how it's working, and he didn't buy it. Grass is getting high so he's going to buy one by Tuesday, but I'll pass along your recommendation. Thanks!
rabidcat77
join:2006-10-16
Fort Lee, NJ

rabidcat77 to Jeff

to Jeff
I think of it this way - why risk damaging your primary mode of transportation (your car) that costs up to tens of thousands of dollars by using the mixed fuel in it at the end of the season, or if you save it for the next season then only have to deal with the mixed gas possibly fouling up a device that perhaps costs under a thousand dollars, in the case of a snowblower, or perhaps about one to two hundred dollars for a string trimmer. Ultimately it comes down to the economics of the situation and the risk associated with either course of action. If you are willing to take the risk regardless of the circumstances, then do whatever you want. However if you aren't sure of the outcome, and are not willing to take the risk, then follow the path of less risk. So, in this case, stick with the lower risk from an economic standpoint. Don't stick it in the car, and use it in the smaller cheaper device. If that fails, then oh well, you're out a couple hundred bucks, as opposed to a lot more.