spc
Search similar:

uniqs

AnnaS8
join:2005-05-26
Annapolis, MD

AnnaS8

92 Camaro Overheating issue.

Ok here is the problem...I have a 92 Camaro RS V8 with a 305 that I love dearly but I have an overheating issue that is driving me crazy cuz I can't figure out how to fix it. I got it about 4 years back at an auction. It was during the winter so I didn't notice the overheating at first but once I got my new job where I had a longer drive I noticed it would overheat. That is when I found out that if I turn the AC on It would keep it cool. Now as you can imagine my gas mileage went from sucky to plain crap.I have pressure tested the radiator. I have replaced the radiator cap, thermal fan switch, water pump and the fan. Now with the warmer weather I have to drive with the AC on and drive like I am in a funeral procession. I am not sure but does the computer have anything to do with that? I hope that isn't the problem. I don't have that chunk of change to replace that. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

master1000
join:2001-02-22
Fort Pierre, SD

master1000

Have you replaced the Thermostat?

rds24a
Teach Your Children
Premium Member
join:2000-12-13
Newton Upper Falls, MA

1 edit

rds24a to AnnaS8

Premium Member

to AnnaS8
That age I wouldn't be surprised to see a plugged radiator or bad thermostat. Can quite figure out why the A/C would improve engine cooling, but no the computer would not cause an overheating problem.

Rifleman
Premium Member
join:2004-02-09
p1a

Rifleman to AnnaS8

Premium Member

to AnnaS8
See hopw easy the fan turns with the engine off. Sounds like the clutch may be worn and not spinning with higher revs. IT is a cheaper fix than other stuff it may be. I can't see how the AC would cool the motor as it has to work harder and rob cooling capacity. OOPs---does that year have electric cooling fans?

AOLBites
join:2002-11-10
Lakewood, OH

1 edit

AOLBites to AnnaS8

to AnnaS8
That car has a electric driven fans, and has 2 ways of turning it on one is a sensor in the drivers side head near the middle that controls the small second fan I think.
And then the sensor in the neck of the thermostat housing tells the computer what temp the car is at and the computer turns the main fan on, If the A/C is turned on both fans turn on automatically.
I used to have an 84 camaro Z28 loved it. also check here for all the info about your car you would ever need

»www.thirdgen.org/

rds24a
Teach Your Children
Premium Member
join:2000-12-13
Newton Upper Falls, MA

rds24a

Premium Member

If that has electric fans, turning on the A/C could trigger the fans to kick on. However, the fans really shouldn't be necessary at highway speeds...fans often show up as overheating at stoplights and good cooling on the highway. It is worth a check, but I still wonder if the radiator isn't working as efficiently as it should.
Timmn
join:2000-04-23
Tinley Park, IL

Timmn to AnnaS8

to AnnaS8
I'm not sure on your Camaro, but my ex-girlfriend had a problem similar to yours, overheating when the A/C was off.

It turned out that the fan had a resistor in it that slowed the speed of the fan when the A/C was off, if you turned it on, the resistor was bypassed. On hers, the resistor was bad, so the fan wasn't turning at all when the A/C was off.

jlhugh
Premium Member
join:2001-09-07
Cedar Creek, TX

jlhugh to AnnaS8

Premium Member

to AnnaS8
When a car is overheating one of the 1st things to do is check the thermostat. It may not be opening all the way up. I had one do this to me last summer. 5 bucks later is was working fine.

AnnaS8
join:2005-05-26
Annapolis, MD

AnnaS8

My mistake I forgot to include the thermostat with my list of replaced parts.

Thank you all for your input. Gives me a few more things to take a look at.

Great site AOLBites. I look forward to reading through it.

Thanks again. I will take another crack at it and if I get stumped I will let you guys know.
fixrman
From a broken heart to a hole in the sky
Premium Member
join:2003-02-10
Hatboro, PA

fixrman to AnnaS8

Premium Member

to AnnaS8
The problem is most likely a clogged radiator. If the engine keeps getting hotter even though the electric fans are running , the radiator is clogged.

sdgthy
@optonline.net

sdgthy to AnnaS8

Anon

to AnnaS8
The third gen F-bodies where highly dependent on the air dam and plastic cowl under and behind the bumper for proper cooling. Those same bits that rub on every steep driveway and tend to easily get broken.