spc
Search similar:

uniqs
enigmatics
join:2007-04-26
Scottsdale, AZ

enigmatics

[VPN] How do I access home compute from work? VPN Error: 800

For the past couple of days I've been trying to set up my home computer so that I can access it from work. Everytime I try, it gives me the VPN Error: 800. I have the PPTP Passthrough enabled.

I can't figure out what's wrong. I use Windows XP Home and have a Linksys BEFW11S4 router. What steps would I have to take to get it to work? Even if you have to explain it by starting over, please do.

I wish Windows XP Home had the IIS pack that XP Professional does. That has a remote desktop access function.

gdm
MVM
join:2001-06-15
Mchenry, IL

gdm

MVM

Are you trying to take control or access files of your home?

If just control/remote in take a look at www.logmein.com they have a free remote control just viewing purposes. If you want more control then you pay.

slpip3
join:2007-02-20
Springfield, VA

slpip3 to enigmatics

to enigmatics
Do you have the IPsec on the router? You should disable it for VPN connection.
enigmatics
join:2007-04-26
Scottsdale, AZ

enigmatics to gdm

to gdm
said by gdm:

Are you trying to take control or access files of your home?

If just control/remote in take a look at www.logmein.com they have a free remote control just viewing purposes. If you want more control then you pay.
I wanted to be able to access files/programs that are on my computer.
enigmatics

enigmatics to slpip3

to slpip3
said by slpip3:

Do you have the IPsec on the router? You should disable it for VPN connection.
I'm not sure. If I were to log into the firmware, where would that be listed?

slpip3
join:2007-02-20
Springfield, VA

slpip3

I don't have a linksys. For most routers, it is under Advanced firewall ALG functions for VPN called IPsec.
slpip3

slpip3 to enigmatics

to enigmatics
It is under the Security Tab-VPN Passthrough according to the v8 manual. Either enable or disable the IPsec. Some VPN requires enable but most requires disable the IPsec.
Ricci
join:2001-11-04
Waxhaw, NC

1 recommendation

Ricci to enigmatics

to enigmatics
go to www.logmein.com and use what is in there.

works like a charm.
jpg3660
join:2004-04-09
Humble, TX

jpg3660 to enigmatics

to enigmatics
Your work system may have a firewall that does not pass the ports or protocols you need for the VPN. Mine does not pass UDP out, for example. So Hamachi is unusable from there.

There may be some commercial VPN systems that use IP port 80, and that one is very unlikely to be blocked, but it may also be quite busy (internet browsing).
claudeo
join:2000-02-23
Redmond, WA

claudeo to enigmatics

to enigmatics
To access your home computer from home using a VPN, your home router must act as a VPN end point (server). Typical home routers have a VPN pass trough function for outgoing VPN connections from *inside* your home network. You cannot do what you are trying to do with your current router. However, services like logmein.com should work because what they do is create an outgoing connection to a common server.

ngnaw
@mc.videotron.ca

ngnaw

Anon

well there can be 2 types of VPN connections, gateway-to-gateway or client-to-gateway, you can use IPSEC or PPTP or L2TP... Your work is most likely using IPSEC and would require a VPN server to connect to, to access your home computer... What I did was make my home computer accept incoming connections using PPTP VPN and I would enable the PPTP passthrough on my router and I port forwarded port 1723 to my computer which is accepting the incoming connections... PPTP isn't as safe as IPSEC but it's still a secure tunnel... I can basically access my home network from anywhere in the world with my setup and with the UltraVNC I can even comtrol all my computers and Wake on LAN them...

Frank_IT
Premium Member
join:2003-11-01
Montreal

Frank_IT

Premium Member

Maybe its your work firewall that is causing the issue.

From anywhere, i can connect to my home vpn, but as soon i'm at work, I get that error too!
David Sherman
join:2000-11-12
Columbus, OH

David Sherman to enigmatics

to enigmatics
I use hamachi as a way to access by home machine.
jpg3660
join:2004-04-09
Humble, TX

jpg3660

said by David Sherman:

I use hamachi as a way to access by home machine.
This works so long as UDP protocols are passed by the firewalls in the path.