how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tritch

join:2007-04-30
Porter, TX

Embarq SMTP server access from another ISP

I recently transferred my email accounts from Earthlink over to Embarq (Synacor). I don't care for webmail, so I use Outlook (POP3) to retrieve/send all of my email. Everything is configured and working ok as long as I remain on the Embarq domain.

Here's the problem...

Whenever you are connected to another ISP domain, the Embarq SMTP server (smtp.embarqmail.com) rejects access or authentication to send email. I'm able to ping the server ok, so I know it's not a DNS issue. It's apparent that Embarq is not providing SMTP access from outside their network. This is bad news for me and anyone who does a lot of traveling.

Why isn't Embarq/Synacor providing a smtpauth.xxxx.xxx server like Earthlink and many other ISP's, so you can authenticate and send emails from outside their networks? Does anyone know if Embarq plans to implement this access in the future?

I don't want to use Embarq webmail.....it's the slowest loading webmail GUI I've ever seen when compared to others.

scooper

join:2000-07-11
Youngsville, NC
kudos:2

They do - you have to tell your email client that said authentication is required.

gh4456
Premium
join:2004-04-07
Beverly Hills, CA
reply to tritch

The SMTP service is not blocked. I checked with the project managers over the development. Apparently whatever network you are on maybe blocking outgoing mail server port 25.

tritch

Porter, TX
reply to scooper

said by scooper:

They do - you have to tell your email client that said authentication is required.
I had authentication turned on.

said by gh4456:

The SMTP service is not blocked. I checked with the project managers over the development. Apparently whatever network you are on maybe blocking outgoing mail server port 25.
I was logged on to PeoplePc. It rejected access/authentication every time. I can't say for sure whether they are blocking port 25.

Here's the Outlook error:
Sending reported error (0x80042109): 'Outlook is unable to connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

I may be premature in blaming Embarq. According to Microsoft KB302357, this error has to do with a network blocking access to other smtp servers that are not on their network. I guess PeoplePc may be blocking access. I will have try again on another ISP.

Thanks for checking with the developers.....

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to gh4456

said by gh4456:

Perhaps the project managers could be persuaded to add message submission ports (such as port 587, or port 465)?
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Josh8

join:2006-05-26
Dillwyn, VA
reply to tritch

I'm pretty sure PeoplePC blocks port 25... when I used them for a while I vaguely remember having to get my server admin to setup another port (2525 or something) for me to send my mail. That or use encryption (which is a different port as well).

A lot of dialup ISPs do this. Sucks.

DrData
Premium
join:2004-12-31
Longwood, FL

Yeah, I used to resell the same dialup network services that peoplepc uses and some of the wholesale providers did block port 25.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL
reply to tritch

The easiest way to tell if it's a port block issue is open a dos-prompt and type:
telnet server 25

For example:
telnet smtp.embarqmail.com 25

If you get:
Connecting To smtp.embarqmail.com...Could not open connection to the host, on port 25: Connect failed

then it's blocked.

If you get anything else then it's not a port blocking issue.
--
"Padre, nobody said war was fun now bowl!" - Sherman T Potter

»www.cafepress.com/maxolasersquad

»maxolasersquad.com/

»maxolasersquad.com/network/ My DSL Network Guide

»myspace.com/mlsquad

gh4456
Premium
join:2004-04-07
Beverly Hills, CA
reply to NormanS

said by NormanS:

said by gh4456:

Perhaps the project managers could be persuaded to add message submission ports (such as port 587, or port 465)?
B/C of this thread, it has been suggested to add another port. I will keep you up to date on the outcome.

DSL Tech

tritch

Porter, TX
reply to Maxo

It seems everyone's suspicion was correct. I logged back on to PeoplePc and tried Maxo's suggestion and I got:

"Connecting To smtp.embarqmail.com...Could not open connection to the host, on port 25: Connect failed"

Apparently, they are blocking port 25.

I then setup a quick connection to Verizon Wireless Quick2Net. Albeit a slow connection, I tried the telnet connection again and was glad to see that it did connect!

I tested Outlook again and confirmed a successful connection with smtp.embarqmail.com. The test message was sent through with no problems.

Thanks for everyone's help....

Is the blocking of port 25 becoming standard policy among most ISP's now? Is it only the dial-up providers doing this?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by tritch:

Is the blocking of port 25 becoming standard policy among most ISP's now? Is it only the dial-up providers doing this?
Yes. Both Bellsouth (pre AT&T) and Cox block port 25; both outbound and inbound. SBC (pre AT&T) implemented a system wide block on port 25 outbound a couple of years back. Comcast will push a port 25 block profile on the modems of users whose systems have been detected as a source of email abuse.

Port 25 is designated by RFC 2821 for "Mail Transport"; the relay of email from MTA to MTA. RFC 2476 defines a "Message Submission" port for uploading of email from email clients to authorized mail servers.

At the present, at&t Yahoo! HSI customers are being asked to change their mail clients to use port 465 with SSL for outbound email. Presumably, at some future date, this will become mandatory.

If all providers of consumer grade Internet service blocked outbound port 25, and all E-Mail Service providers enabled message submission ports (other than port 25), nobody would notice except the spammers.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

said by NormanS:

nobody would notice except the spammers.
And us nerds.