spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

phoneboy2

@shawcable.net

What about my peanut butter and jelly sandwich patent?

So does this mean the patent on peanutbutter and jelly sandwiches is invalid? No, I am not kidding. There is ACTUALLY a patent on it!

calvoiper

join:2003-03-31
Belvedere Tiburon, CA

Re: What about my peanut butter and jelly sandwich patent?

I think that patent only covers PBJ's that are crustless, smooched around the edges like a pie, and frozen.

(And no, I am NOT kidding--this is how bad patent law had gotten before yesterday.)

calvoiper
--
VoIP--the death knell of remaining voice monopolies!

Anonyname

@rr.com

How about a patent on singing Happy Birthday. Oh wait, there already is one. Which is why when you go to a restaurant and they sing it, there is a different varient at each place. At least that is what I am told.
Time4aNAP
Premium
join:2007-04-09
Des Plaines, IL

said by Anonyname :

How about a patent on singing Happy Birthday. Oh wait, there already is one. Which is why when you go to a restaurant and they sing it, there is a different varient at each place. At least that is what I am told.
The song "Happy Birthday to You" does still have a valid copyright, so royalties are technically due for public performances. I don't recall of any attempts being made to enforce the copyright in my lifetime. However singing "Happy Birthday to You" or any other song cannot be patented, because singing has more prior art than you can shake a stick at.

calvoiper

Belvedere Tiburon, CA

It's most often chain restaurants that avoid "Happy Birthday To You" because they have deep enough pockets that an infringement suit might actually be worth something.

calvoiper
--
patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
kudos:1
said by Time4aNAP:

said by Anonyname :

However singing "Happy Birthday to You" or any other song cannot be patented, because singing has more prior art than you can shake a stick at.
Arent the lyrics copyrights?
Time4aNAP
Premium
join:2007-04-09
Des Plaines, IL

said by patcat88:

Arent the lyrics copyrights?
No, but lyrics can be copyrighted.

calvoiper

Belvedere Tiburon, CA
And for anyone who didn't believe me before, I offer the following from www.uspto.gov :

United States Patent 6,874,409
Valenzky, Jr. , et al. April 5, 2005

Method and apparatus for making commercial crustless sandwiches and the crustless sandwich made thereby

Abstract
A method of making a crustless sandwich from two slices of bread with outer crusts, the method comprising: placing a first slice of bread on a platen; forming a mass of a first food spread onto the central portion of the first slice of bread in a position spaced inwardly from a marginal area where the mass is formed with an inner lower layer with an outer rim extending upwardly from the lower layer to define a closed pocket or receptacle recess in the mass; placing a second food spread in the receptacle recess; closing the receptacle recess with a layer of the first food spread generally coextensive with the mass and supported on the outer rim of the mass to encapsulate the second food spread into a center composite food layer; placing a second slice of bread over the first slice to cover the center composite food layer; cutting the bread slices in unison in a cut pattern to remove the crusts of the slices; and, pressing the two bread slices together by force through the slices against a pressure surface on the platen to crimp the slices into a crustless sandwich.

calvoiper
--
patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
kudos:1

said by calvoiper:

And for anyone who didn't believe me before, I offer the following from www.uspto.gov :

United States Patent 6,874,409
Valenzky, Jr. , et al. April 5, 2005

Method and apparatus for making commercial crustless sandwiches and the crustless sandwich made thereby

Abstract
A method of making a crustless sandwich from two slices of bread with outer crusts, the method comprising: placing a first slice of bread on a platen; forming a mass of a first food spread onto the central portion of the first slice of bread in a position spaced inwardly from a marginal area where the mass is formed with an inner lower layer with an outer rim extending upwardly from the lower layer to define a closed pocket or receptacle recess in the mass; placing a second food spread in the receptacle recess; closing the receptacle recess with a layer of the first food spread generally coextensive with the mass and supported on the outer rim of the mass to encapsulate the second food spread into a center composite food layer; placing a second slice of bread over the first slice to cover the center composite food layer; cutting the bread slices in unison in a cut pattern to remove the crusts of the slices; and, pressing the two bread slices together by force through the slices against a pressure surface on the platen to crimp the slices into a crustless sandwich.

calvoiper
Everyone go and ask their moms/grandmas the secret family recipies, and patent them now. You never know when someone will accidently reinvent it:-D