uniqs
share rss forum feed

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
kudos:1
reply to Tzale

Re: Laptops in School

I think laptop based programs should only be in private schools, or selective enrollment public school (no need to waste money on future drug dealers, and students who will pawn them for drugs).

I wish I had a laptop base curriculum in HS. Control-F is great, also word processing is great (being able to add and remove text anywhere you want, not worrying about totally turning paper into chicken scratch), also Tablet PCs I think would be better in a classroom, they truly replace paper, Ive even done handwritten math HW on them, and printed it out. Its the next generation paper.

Also in my University, every semester Im running into more and more professors who are putting "technology policy"s into their syllabuses, most including lines "if its open, a absence will be recorded for the day", more and more of them are banning laptops, its sad, but for one of the Profs, my friend had her last semester, and he claims he never looked up once from his laptop :D

I have a feeling that laptop learning anywhere except at home, will die very soon, simply because of massive irresponsibility and social networking, and anime watching. Its a sad day for nerds. But ultimatly what I think is, if your students are refusing to follow, let them fail, their paying money (Uni enviroment), sure parents may bitch, but ultimatly, if a person has no drive, why fool them?

This approach wont really work in public HSes due to the amount of garbage they have to deal with, but in selective enrollment HSes its fine I guess.