join:2001-02-05
Pacifica, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Obihai OBi200

1 edit

jmorlan

MVM

[XP Pro] WGA ActiveX control

Sometime in the past I disabled the WGA ActiveX control and I believe I ran a regfile to set the kill-bit on the control. Now I want it back.

Basically IE won't download the WGA ActiveX control when I go to validate Windows and their troubleshooting page checks everything is okay except it hangs on "checking" for the "Windows validation activex loaded" entry.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

AB57
Premium Member
join:2006-04-04
equatorial

AB57

Premium Member

said by jmorlan:

. . Any suggestions?
Don't get me started.

Remove it altogether & start fresh, maybe.
The ActiveX control is in Downloaded Programs. LegitControlCheck.dll is in system32. There are WGA folders in Documents & Settings. Trash 'em all, then maybe run a Reg cleaner, or go into the Registry & remove the WGA key yourself (Local_Machine/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version, I believe).
Then go back to Microsoft Updates & let it install a shiny, fresh new copy (lucky you).
Just a thought. Success not guaranteed.
Or keep that POS gone, and get your updates elsewhere.
Good luck, whatever you do or decide.

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
MVM
Pacifica, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Obihai OBi200

jmorlan

MVM

said by AB57:

The ActiveX control is in Downloaded Programs.
That's the problem. The ActiveX control is not there and IE doesn't offer to download it.

At one time Windows kept offering it to me when I didn't want it. Now that I do want it, I cannot get it.

AB57
Premium Member
join:2006-04-04
equatorial

AB57

Premium Member

The ActiveX control may be gone, but the rest of that junk is probably still around, and gumming up the works, so to speak.

But that's the best I can offer, sorry. Good luck with it.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to jmorlan

Premium Member

to jmorlan
Do you see an entry for WGA in start>control panel>add/remove programs?

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
MVM
Pacifica, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Obihai OBi200

jmorlan

MVM

said by La Luna:

Do you see an entry for WGA in start>control panel>add/remove programs?
No. It's not there. Also the WGA validation tool does not appear on the drop down list for IE manage add-ons. However, the Microsoft Genuine Advantage self-help tool is there as is the Office Genuine Advantage validation tool.

MSeng

join:2000-07-13
Ork

MSeng

Do you recall if you used the instructions provided in the KB article below?

»support.microsoft.com/kb/921914

If so, then maybe you can reverse the process?

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
MVM
Pacifica, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Obihai OBi200

jmorlan

MVM

Thanks for the suggestion.

I don't remember what I did, but that KB article seems to apply to the WGA notification service rather than the WGA Validation ActiveX control.

I wanted it back to be able to use the MS Update site. I had to disable Automtic Updates on this laptop because it was consuming 99% CPU every time I booted. I found quite a few people with the identical problem and the best solution was to disable the Automatic Update Service entirely until MS comes up with a fix. There's another desktop here which had the same symptom until I disabled the Auto Update service. MS is apparently aware of the problem.

Anyway, I can still get updates manually for this laptop which I just occasionally use when traveling. I think that will be adequate. The desktop has the WGA validation ActiveX loaded and working properly, so Windows Update works fine there.

Thanks.