uniqs
share rss forum feed

boxelder

join:2003-10-17
Woodstock, IL

Cicadas have appeared

Click for full size
Several exit points and a single cicada
My first cicada sighting was actually on Sunday, April 29th. I had left a tent out through the winter in the forest behind the house, and the tarp-like bottom apparently created a warmer environment enough to fool the brood in that small 7 sqaure foot patch. There were several cicada chimneys (.5 to .75 inch diameter tunnels extending up from underground to above the surface). I did see one cicada hanging out in an exposed tunnel. The insect was alive, but was moving slowly and obviously in no hurry.

Flash forward to tonight, May 7th at 10:00 p.m. After hearing about sightings in Oakbrook and Highland Park, I pulled up a few plywood sheets that have been on the ground since last November. Sure enough, there were exit tunnels all over the place, as well as a few cicadas. I certainly did not see enough cicadas for the number of holes there were. It's possible they went back into the holes to stay until its closer to their expected May 22 "break out," but who knows. While the pattern seems to indicate that they are only breaking the surface when there is something covering it (such as a tarp or a sheet of plywood), I did see one tunnel coming up in an open spot of the forest floor.

Homunculus
Pipsquack
Premium
join:2000-12-14
Dar al-Harb
I can't wait to see 'em!

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL
said by Homunculus:

I can't wait to see 'em!
Especially all those headless carcasses laying around.

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium
join:2004-11-12
reply to boxelder
said by boxelder:

I had left a tent out through the winter in the forest behind the house, and the tarp-like bottom apparently created a warmer environment
I actually spent two weeks sleeping uner your tent tarp a few months ago. It was quit inviting!

My wife is freaking out about the Cicadas. The last time we had them in force she was pretty young and remembers walking to school and having to step on them as they covered the sidewalk completely
CRUNCH
CRUNCH
CRUNCH
--
CableFAQ.org/Technicians Unplugged

Homunculus
Pipsquack
Premium
Dar al-Harb

1 recommendation

reply to JimThePCGuy
said by JimThePCGuy:

said by Homunculus:

I can't wait to see 'em!
Especially all those headless carcasses laying around.
Them's good eating. Sauteed in some garlic/butter...
--
Islam is a hate crime: »www.thememriblog.org

jester121
Premium
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

1 edit
My dog's a complete idiot and will probably gorge himself on them. At least it will save on the food bill, and probably safer than most of the mass-produced pet food out there lately....

I was living in Pennsylvania in 1990 and don't really remember it that much. More of a mid-western thing?

Never mind, answered my own question....

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magicicada

xkunalx

join:2004-12-27
West Chicago, IL
reply to boxelder

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL
kudos:1
reply to boxelder
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKK!!!

montee4
Premium
join:2004-02-15
Chicago, IL
Time to put Terminex on speed dial

Jon
Premium
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL
reply to xkunalx
Yikes!
I'm kind of looking forward to it, I may not feel the same in a couple of weeks though.
We live only about a mile away from the Morton Arboretum I wonder what it will be like by me.

gary0922

join:2000-05-30
Wheaton, IL
17 years ago the main parking lot area in the arboretum was covered with cicadas. I enjoyed handling the cicadas with my then 2 and 3 year old boys. However, several years ago they dug up and rebuilt the parking lot area. So, I'm not sure what we will see at the arboretum this year. I plan to take my now 19 and 20 year old boys for a re-adventure.

z aXis
Premium
join:2003-01-23
Arlington Heights, IL
reply to boxelder
I wont be able to have the top down on the Jeep for at least two months during the summer....

I wait all winter for nice weather to put the top down and get this for two months out of the nice weather.
--
"Cogito ergo doleo"

Jon
Premium
Lisle, IL
reply to boxelder
Still waiting. As of when I left the house this morning....Nuthin.

Jim
Premium
join:2003-02-10
I've seen one 'shell' on a maple in our back yard. I turned over some logs that had been sitting for some time and found tunnels with the critters in them. They scurry back down when exposed.

Jon
Premium
Lisle, IL
I've seen a bunch of holes but no critters. I figured they went back in. Should be any day/hour now I'm thinking.

RadioDoc
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-05-11
La Grange, IL
kudos:2
They're definitely out in Western Springs and La Grange. I've got about 50 of the little buggers around one tree alone. No singing yet, thank god.
--
Toolmaster of La Grange.

jmdomini
Premium
join:2000-05-04
Sycamore, IL
Yup, I heard from my Mom yesterday who told me she's not going outside for the next few weeks. She's terrified to the buggers.

Haven't seen any in my neighborhood, but the subdivision was built in 1997. So I don't expect to see many, if at all. I'm spending a few nights at Starved Rock Lodge the first week of June. Probably plenty of the buggers to be seen there.

z aXis
Premium
Arlington Heights, IL
reply to boxelder
Click for full size
downloadCicada Recipes.pdf 135,220 bytes
Just in case you guys need some Cicada recipes:
--
"Cogito ergo doleo"

Jon
Premium
Lisle, IL

1 edit
reply to boxelder
Looks like we're gonna get jipped (sp?).
My brother, who lives in Des Plaines, not too far from the forest preserve has a gazillion of them in his yard.

I think I've seen about 20 in mine I thought, living in the "Arboretum Village" with all the trees and so close to the Morton Arboretum, we would have a lot. Apparently not.
Someone said something about not having enough Oak trees in the area but my brother doesn't have any in his yard either. Oh well..

spelling edit

RadioDoc
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
La Grange, IL
There are at least 200 in my backyard right now, and they've all started singing. I can hear the din from the LaGrange Highlands wafting west too. I'll gladly let you come over and sit here for an hour. You'll be glad to go home...
--
Toolmaster of La Grange.

SuperNet9
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
join:2002-10-08
Schaumburg, IL
kudos:5
reply to boxelder
I haven't seen or heard one:(

Homunculus
Pipsquack
Premium
Dar al-Harb
reply to z aXis
said by z aXis:

That went over well at my work. We will be rolling out a few seasonal chef's specials...
--
Islam is a hate crime: »www.thememriblog.org

Jon
Premium
Lisle, IL
reply to RadioDoc
said by RadioDoc:

There are at least 200 in my backyard right now, and they've all started singing. I can hear the din from the LaGrange Highlands wafting west too. I'll gladly let you come over and sit here for an hour. You'll be glad to go home...
Well I guess I was just being too impatient.
I went out this morning and there are tons of them around the bases of my trees. probably 50 or more around just one tree.

Looks like we might have a lot after all.

z aXis
Premium
Arlington Heights, IL
reply to Homunculus
said by Homunculus:

said by z aXis:

That went over well at my work. We will be rolling out a few seasonal chef's specials...
Glad I could help
--
"Cogito ergo doleo"

gary0922

join:2000-05-30
Wheaton, IL
reply to boxelder

Cicada map

Here's a cicada map. I have two singing in the trees in my backyard but I haven't actually seen one yet.

»www.chicagotribune.com/news/spec···news-hed

Doug45

join:2002-08-27
Wheaton, IL
Same here - none! (Wheaton)

Warzau
Premium
Naperville, IL
reply to boxelder

Re: Cicadas have appeared

Went to my in laws in Lemont and holy gucamole, the sound was deafening. It was a cicada orgy fest, plust they were flying around like crazy.

Jon
Premium
Lisle, IL
reply to boxelder
I ended up with probably a few hundred or so when they first emerged. The seem to have left my hard though and are all congregating in a tree a few houses down.

RadioDoc
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
La Grange, IL
reply to Warzau
I have discarded shells and corpses 3" deep around a honey locust in the front yard. There are at least a couple thousand of them in that tree, the maple next to it and another few hundred of them in and about my crabapple in the back yard. The lawn looks like it's been aerated with all the holes. Mowing the lawn today was an exercise in avoiding dive-bombing cicadas. You could clearly hear them above the lawn mower engine noise.

Got out my sound level meter and it read 86 dB in the back and 90 in front. That's LOUD.
--
Toolmaster of La Grange.

Warzau
Premium
Naperville, IL
Click for full size
Click for full size
Here are some macro shots.