uniqs

delete
Bleek..
Premium Member
join:2002-03-23
Bronx, NY

delete

Premium Member

[OOL] Port 80, 25 .. Umm what about 443?

I have OOL Boost for my private LAN and business DSL for my production servers and this VZ DSL is just getting too old. I'm "provisioned" for 3.0/768, yet all I get is 1.5/384. VZ cant explain why, but I sure have reasons why I'd love to switch.

I know I have ports 25 and 80 that can be opened; but what about 443 with OOL Boost? I'm asking just cause I dont have anything to spare to test the port and searches dont pull any archive info up.

Thanks in advance..

guyver01
In Brightest Day
join:2001-01-04
Littleton, CO

guyver01

i'm sure they'd probably say any website that needs SSL protocol is for business use and you would need BOOL as opposed to OOL
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy to delete

MVM

to delete
To the best of my knowledge, Port 443 is normally not blocked.

delete
Bleek..
Premium Member
Bronx, NY

delete to guyver01

Premium Member

to guyver01
Ahh .. so they do have Business OOL .. Is this the service which offers only DDNS and not static IPs? So with BOOL no ports will be blocked?

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to delete

Premium Member

to delete
»www.optimum.com/business ··· ndex.jsp

delete
Bleek..
Premium Member
Bronx, NY

delete

Premium Member

Always nice to poll folks willing to share their experiences and info I get it..

No worries.. I'll call OOL now and see what they've got to offer..

Thanks everyone ..

pcwiz99
@katz-media.com

pcwiz99

Anon

I have used 443 for a long time before I got boost. Never had a problem.

I use it for RDP not web as it's one of the few outbound ports my company allows.

delete
Bleek..
Premium Member
Bronx, NY

1 edit

delete

Premium Member

So I got off the phone with BOOL. The rates are great! DDNS.. After speaking with a very non-confident technical support rep, I have to ask what everyone else is doing when you can only connect remotely to the machine that is running the DDNS client?

I have about 4 servers (windows, linux). I would at a minimum need to access 2 of each platform and BOOL support says this is not possible with DDNS. He says that the IP and the access is only good for the machine running the client.

My understanding of the DDNS would be that 1 client would send the updates to BOOL about IP changes. All machines behind the network are all NAT'ed by the router. Basically all have the same EXT IP. Ports are forwarded to these internal machines and you would be connecting to them definitively by destination port using the same domain name.

mydomain.com 22 (SSH - Host 1)
mydomain.com 80 (webserver - Host 2)
mydomain.com 3389 (RDP - Host 3)

He says this isnt possible .

Also he was unsure on hosting multiple domains.. I have more then a few; how is this handled?

Hence why i was polling you folks

EDIT: They say that Static IPs will be available end of May beginning of June this year .. hmmm.

The offer was: 30M/5M $64.90 Monthly (Boost BOOL w/ DDNS)
Port 443 is not blocked ..

jaa
Premium Member
join:2000-06-13

1 edit

jaa to delete

Premium Member

to delete
You can access all your computers; the one running the ddns client only updates the ddns entry - you can turn off the client and still be able to access the computer.

What you are doing will work fine. The mydomain.com directs to your IP address, then it is your router (with port forwarding) that decides which computer on your LAN to route the request to. Forward port 80 to your webserver, 3389 to your RDP computer, etc.

You only have one IP address, so you would need to be able to access them separately by port number. So, if you are using VNC, one would be on 5900, another on 5901, etc - or with RDP, 3389, 3390, etc.

Another option is to connect with VPN, and then you can directly access the computers by local IP. That is what I do with my regular OOL.

delete
Bleek..
Premium Member
Bronx, NY

2 edits

delete

Premium Member

Thanks Jaa .. So it would be as it has always been just that DDNS is the link to getting to my network.

Now this would cause a problem a few ways though because I run my own DNS & mail also for these domains.. Zone files have my current EXT IP address in them as they should. What would I point to with the DDNS or does this leave no option of hosting and I must host DNS now with the BOOL servers?

If I'm forced to host the domains with BOOL servers I'm sure the IP would never change on the upstream side, just change on the user side which would be me. Otherwise there would be many stale entries pointing to my servers (mail and web).

So it sounds like I may actually always have the same WAN IP with the upstream BOOL, but my IP would be treated almost as a private IP and can change, but rouring would be handled by BOOL.
delete

delete

Premium Member

So .. Is anyone running a business with full blown mail, web and dns servers on a BOOL connection? I would like to hear how you handle or work around the DDNS issues.. Sorry for my ignorance on the topic ..

fcisler
Premium Member
join:2004-06-14
Riverhead, NY

1 recommendation

fcisler

Premium Member

Yes, I help manage a office that runs mail (exchange) and webservers.

Don't run your own DNS servers - pay someone else. dyndns.org is cheap, and well worth it.

I won't get into reasons, but there is really no reason to run your own DNS. It's not a good idea if you only have one IP and not on a dedicated line.

DDNS is handled by a client, although the IP hasn't changed in 2+ years...so it's not a real big issue.

delete
Bleek..
Premium Member
Bronx, NY

1 edit

delete

Premium Member

said by fcisler:

Yes, I help manage a office that runs mail (exchange) and webservers.

Don't run your own DNS servers - pay someone else. dyndns.org is cheap, and well worth it.

I won't get into reasons, but there is really no reason to run your own DNS. It's not a good idea if you only have one IP and not on a dedicated line.

DDNS is handled by a client, although the IP hasn't changed in 2+ years...so it's not a real big issue.
Thanks for the input. I have been considering moving away from hosting DNS for some time, but it started off as a learning project long ago that has become part of the environment. I have no issues with it, jjust wondering with DDNS how would it work out..

As for the dydns and the BOOL client, do you have to run both clients? 1 for each im guessing?

I can also manage the dns entries from my registrar also (godaddy)

fcisler
Premium Member
Riverhead, NY

fcisler

Premium Member

I don't use the BOOL client...i assume you could.

If you get a dyndns account, then you can use their client to update the IP. Again...it depends on which hostnames your trying to update.

Personally, i've had a non expiring account from dyndns (from YEARS ago) which i use for my DNS. It's set "static" in their system (ie: don't expire), and i haven't had to change it in years...it's not really an issue.

As long as your cable modem stays plugged in - it will keep the same IP.

delete
Bleek..
Premium Member
Bronx, NY

delete

Premium Member

said by fcisler:

I don't use the BOOL client...i assume you could.
BOOL says that you must run this to update your IP with them. This I'm guessing is if you are hosting your domains with them.
said by fcisler:

If you get a dyndns account, then you can use their client to update the IP. Again...it depends on which hostnames your trying to update.
Hmm .. Here is why run my own DNS .. I'm hosting about 8-9 domains some for mail and some for websites. I'm sure though my login to say a dydns account and updating my IP will change the IP for all domains under my dydns account.
said by fcisler:

Personally, i've had a non expiring account from dyndns (from YEARS ago) which i use for my DNS. It's set "static" in their system (ie: don't expire), and i haven't had to change it in years...it's not really an issue.
Unfortunately they are closed to new sign-ups due to a phase they are going through .. I'll look elsewhere at options. Before hosting my own domains I used zonedit. There though I had to update each domain name individually..
said by fcisler:

Yep .. Even with OOL.. Right now unless I change my router, my IP doesnt change.

Thanks for the help ..

fcisler
Premium Member
Riverhead, NY

1 recommendation

fcisler

Premium Member

I don't know how their client works - again, I don't use it. I guess if you wanted to use the domain that THEY provide you with - instead of also using the hosting - that you could run it.

That is correct with regards to dyndns. Again, though, your IP will change so infrequently that i don't think it will be a bother.

There's also the free XName.org, which i have found to work good.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy to delete

MVM

to delete
said by delete:
said by fcisler:

Yep .. Even with OOL.. Right now unless I change my router, my IP doesnt change.
Normally True, but OOL can and at times does renumber nodes/areas, usually when they split a node. If that occurs the IP might change.

delete
Bleek..
Premium Member
Bronx, NY

2 edits

delete

Premium Member

said by TheWiseGuy See Profile

Normally True, but OOL can and at times does renumber nodes/areas, usually when they split a node. If that occurs the IP might change.
2 IPs in a year due to new router put in
delete

delete to fcisler

Premium Member

to fcisler
said by fcisler:

I don't know how their client works - again, I don't use it. I guess if you wanted to use the domain that THEY provide you with - instead of also using the hosting - that you could run it.

That is correct with regards to dyndns. Again, though, your IP will change so infrequently that i don't think it will be a bother.

There's also the free XName.org, which i have found to work good.
Thanks for all of your help .. Sorry for over working you all
delete

delete

Premium Member

So I have gotten my BOOL connected and just had time to start playing with it.

I have a small problem, but possibly for a short time .

I have several domains and I will have to purchase a seperate custom dns accounts from dyndns if i intend on keeping them updated in case my IP changes.

So .. Anyone have any recommendations?

BOOL says that by June they will be issuing static IPs. Soo maybe I should just chance, my IP shouldnt change for the next month and and maybe longer .. Then I'll be static and wont have to worry about it.

Hmm.. reading this seems like I just solved my own problem

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

1 edit

1 recommendation

Thinkdiff

MVM,

My Boost IP address hasn't changed since I got it. (Over a year ago)

delete
Bleek..
Premium Member
Bronx, NY

delete

Premium Member

Good to know .. I've taken the chance and I'm confident all will be well. Thank you everyone for your help, suggestions and recommendations..