how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JamesMJ2

join:2001-12-04
San Jose, CA

Neccessary to use Verizon supplied PDI splitter

So silly question. Had FiOS TV installed, it's fantastic, but I have a three way PDI splitter installed. We are adding another TV, so is it ok to use a 4 splitter, or do I need to use the Verizon supplied splitter?

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2

As long as the signal is strong enough and the splitter is 1ghz and not 900mhz you should be fine.

JamesMJ2

join:2001-12-04
San Jose, CA

Cool. Thanks. Monster 5-1000GHz is in there now.

KA3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium
join:2006-01-17
West Chester, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Cricket Broadband
·Verizon FiOS
reply to JamesMJ2

PDI, is short for Passive Devices Inc. They make a respectable splitter. Figure Antronix, Regal, Holland, Toner, and PCT make an equally good 5-1000Mhz splitter. The other names are used by cable companies everywhere.

PDI, oddly enough, is the hardest to find online, Antronix probably the easiest. I personally have a Toner 16-Way Splitter in use for FiOS. They claim a 16-way won't work, but I have no signal problems related due to splitters. A Verizon tech at my house has verified that I am good to go with the 16-way. You want to determine the maximum number of splits you need, as it is far more efficient to have one splitter in the network, than a series of multiple splitters.

Check back here if you find something you want to try, you will get lots of info either way.

KA3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium
join:2006-01-17
West Chester, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Cricket Broadband
·Verizon FiOS

If you have FiOS TV installed, it would be a good recommendation for anyone to ask the tech to install a "Verizon Approved" 6 or 8-way splitter to start with.

The input would be for the ONT, 1 port goes to the Actiontec, leaving either 5 or 7 ports for TV sets.

Just as long as they install 75ohm f-terminators on the unused ports.

That way they could balance the signal levels with the bigger splitter already installed, and it eliminates the plague of "WalMart" splitters being added by unknowing customers, and only causing problems down the road.

GeekGirl1
Premium
join:2007-01-28
Morrisville, PA
kudos:2

1 edit

They will supply the part for free if you ask. Not sure about service call charges. Probably not worth the cost.