share rss forum feed

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

1 edit

1 recommendation

Painting all opponents of "net neutrality" with sell-out ...

... label seems to be a favorite tactic of those who support net neutrality. As if anyone with an opinion different from theirs is automatically a bought and paid for shill of the cable and telco firms and couldn't possibly have come to their decision on their own. It is a lame tactic that avoids discussion of the merits and is merely an ad-hominem debate tactic.
--
--
Internet News
My BLOG
My Web Page

morbo
Complete Your Transaction

join:2002-01-22
show us that the NAACP hasn't accepted money from telco's in the past few years.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

1 recommendation

said by morbo:

show us that the NAACP hasn't accepted money from telco's in the past few years.
And if they have, so what!! I am sure the NAACP accepts donations from thousands of companies and millions of people. It does not mean that every policy stance they take was based on strings-attached donations. What, you think they have some computer program that analyzes every policy stance they have against the stated goals of every donor on dozens of topics. And then does some weighted average to determine their positions? LOL.
--
--
Internet News
My BLOG
My Web Page

morbo
Complete Your Transaction

join:2002-01-22
their stance on this issue REEKS of telco astroturf campaigns.

calvoiper

join:2003-03-31
Belvedere Tiburon, CA

1 recommendation

More accurately, their stance reeks of longing for the days when various "wealth redistribution" programs could be hidden in monopoly utility rates (discount rates for low income, etc., etc.) With the advent of competition, the true cost of these subsidies becomes clear and has to either be fairly spread around the industry (effectively as a fully disclosed "tax") or discontinued.

I think the NAACP, like other liberal groups, is fully aware of the consequences of not having Net Neutrality regulation--the "backroom kickback" culture that develops in such a situation limits new entrants and competition--thereby making it easier for wealth redistribution schemes to be hidden in the rates of one or two players, rather than having to be an explicit surcharge on the rates of 4 or 5 players.

Some of these "consumer and ratepayer groups" are still smarting that they missed the boat and didn't somehow get subsidies for cellular rates to placate their supporters, and they are determined to use any trick they can to hide subsidy schemes in the broadband world.

calvoiper
--
VoIP--the death knell of remaining voice monopolies!

soothsayer15

join:2002-03-01
Irving, TX

1 recommendation

said by calvoiper:

More accurately, their stance reeks of longing for the days when various "wealth redistribution" programs could be hidden in monopoly utility rates (discount rates for low income, etc., etc.) With the advent of competition, the true cost of these subsidies becomes clear and has to either be fairly spread around the industry (effectively as a fully disclosed "tax") or discontinued.

I think the NAACP, like other liberal groups, is fully aware of the consequences of not having Net Neutrality regulation--the "backroom kickback" culture that develops in such a situation limits new entrants and competition--thereby making it easier for wealth redistribution schemes to be hidden in the rates of one or two players, rather than having to be an explicit surcharge on the rates of 4 or 5 players.

Some of these "consumer and ratepayer groups" are still smarting that they missed the boat and didn't somehow get subsidies for cellular rates to placate their supporters, and they are determined to use any trick they can to hide subsidy schemes in the broadband world.

calvoiper
BBR is playing propaganda machine on this one. Somehow BBR failed to mention the bill passed 117-2. For those of you that aren't math majors, that almost unanimous. Florida legislature isn't made up of 117 black/liberal/democrats members and 2 white/conservative/republicans.

»www.miamiherald.com/458/story/92084.html

Maybe that little tidbit was left out of purpose to inflame members and drive an agenda which is fraking disgusting, if that is the case. Two issues that had nothing to do with each other were combined to make this news(I use that term lightly) story.

No one feels that can fight propaganda with honest reporting, so they turning into propaganda machines themselves. A half-truth is just as bad as a lie.

calvoiper

join:2003-03-31
Belvedere Tiburon, CA
I don't see how you think BBR (Karl) was "playing propaganda" on this one--his point WAS the intersection of two stories otherwise not connected in the media. The point was that the NAACP is bashing Bush on Broadband in Washington, but is opposing the traditional consumer groups on a broadband-deployment-related bill in Tallahassee. That's a valid story.

Frankly, the fact that the consumer advocates lost to the NAACP side by a huge margin in one house of the Florida legislature isn't really even news--except for the related fact that the NAACP position gave lots of legislators (particularly Democrats) "cover" to vote against the consumer advocates.

calvoiper
--
VoIP--the death knell of remaining voice monopolies!

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
reply to FFH5
You are bias for you own reasons and I would say just as with everyone else it is money motivated.

If you accept money or any benefits from anyone for any reason then your opinion is skewed and has little value in a debate. So if the NAACP does accept money from any telco or cable company then their opinion is worthless.

For the most part the NAACP is worthless regardless. Their political agenda lost it focus of bringing equality to it's people a long time ago.

supergirl

join:2007-03-20
Pensacola, FL

1 recommendation

reply to FFH5
"I believe in a world where everyone will have 100 UP! ...AND 100 DOWN! I believe there will be NO Bandwidth CAPS! ...and there will be NO COMCAST! I believe geeks will get REAL Dates! No, I don't believe that. But, I do believe 100 UP and 100 DOWN will bridge the entire Digital Divide and there will BE NO MICROSOFT!"

Rev. Al Sharpton