Premium Member
join:2002-01-28
Rockville, MD

1 recommendation

JTRockville to funchords

Premium Member

to funchords

Re: Comcast is using Sandvine to manage P2P Connections

Looks like funchords See Profile is famous! Here's a good write-up of the issue:
»news.yahoo.com/s/ap/2007 ··· nation_2
(By PETER SVENSSON, AP Technology Writer)
dfxmatt
join:2007-08-21
Crystal Lake, IL

dfxmatt

I let funchords know as well I'm curious as to whether they have done recent testing or not, I am suspicious of it going on but it doesn't seem to be 100% disconnects anymore, I wonder if bittorrent has an option of "do not use encrypted transmissions" because that would affect the tracking of sandvine if so. I know you can do the opposite but I might want to track unecrypted.

MysticGogeta
The Robot Devil
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Katy, TX

MysticGogeta to funchords

Premium Member

to funchords
Its odd even with the article that I'm still not being managed I think they will do this in Houston eventually but for now I havn't noticed any difference from TWC in torrent seeding.

Grethor
Today Is A Good Day To Format
join:2004-04-14
Tacoma, WA

Grethor to funchords

to funchords
I will try this. Thanks.

FairTriplePlay
@comcast.net

FairTriplePlay to funchords

Anon

to funchords
Finally!!!! Way to go funchords!

Well now that the cat IS out of the bag CC HAS to address the issue..how? I don't know..will be very interesting to see how they decide to handle this. Perpetuate the deception or come clean?
Bet the CC board room and PR dept are seeing some action..lol

DragracerArt
@covad.net

DragracerArt to funchords

Anon

to funchords
So... In a nutshell... this is why my pictures I uploaded to my comcast online storage, won't show up when I hotlink them on a webpage ?

I use this for avatars, sig pics, etc...

If I'm being actively blocked by Comcast, this sort of makes me want to cancel my service.
robertfl
Premium Member
join:2005-10-10
Mary Esther, FL

1 edit

robertfl

Premium Member

Another article:

URL: »www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21376597/

If the Internet is good for just reading e-mail and surfing, I can do that on a disl up. Why spend $56 dollars just to have blocked ports.

I say it's time to stop buying cd's people as this is about CONTROL. and it's damn stupid.

-Rob

FairTriplePlay
@comcast.net

Anon

to funchords
EFF is on the case as well....this is getting good. (Insert evil grim here..)

»www.eff.org/deeplinks/20 ··· nterfere

SpaethCo
Digital Plumber
MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

SpaethCo to robertfl

MVM

to robertfl
It has nothing to do with blocking ports. It is pruning connections to throttle the traffic generated by P2P apps. It's not closing all connections.
julyccc
Premium Member
join:2004-11-09

julyccc to funchords

Premium Member

to funchords
Comcast is using what the chinese are using for internet censorship.

elvey
Spamassassin
join:2001-02-17
San Francisco, CA

1 edit

elvey to JTRockville

to JTRockville
said by JTRockville:

Looks like funchords See Profile is famous! Here's a good write-up of the issue:
The picture is of me, but yup, kudos to funchords and Peter Svensson. My phone is ringing off the hook - Fox news, Wayne Freedman ABC/KGO-TV...

Unfortunately, the article makes it seem I'm not a supporter of net neutrality. I strongly support it. I just think ISPs need to be able to police spammers. Still a good article though!

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by elvey:

Unfortunately, the article makes it seem I'm not a supporter of net neutrality. I strongly support it.
Excuse me for asking a stupid question, but just what does "Net Neutrality" have to do with throttling P2P applications? The concept of "Net Neutrality" arose when SBC CEO Ed Whitacre raised the spectre of charging content providers for the traffic borne by SBC as a consequence of SBC customer requests. What Mr. Whitacre wanted amounted to "double dipping": Collecting fees from his customers for their access to the Internet and collecting fees from the information providers (Google, MSN, etc.) for providing information to those SBC customers requesting it. I was under the impression that "Net Neutrality" was opposed to this "double dipping" concept.

FairTriplePlay
@comcast.net

Anon

to funchords
I believe net neutrality means all net traffic treated the same regardless nature, origin or destination...hope I'm close..lol

Cabal
Premium Member
join:2007-01-21

Cabal

Premium Member

said by FairTriplePlay :

I believe net neutrality means all net traffic treated the same regardless nature, origin or destination...hope I'm close..lol
It doesn't, and that's an unfortunate and terrible misunderstanding that is popular these days. Net neutrality refers to not prioritizing traffic from one location to another, based on the endpoints (and who pays the most cash to backbones for their site). It does NOT refer to protocol-based traffic shaping, independent of origin/destination, which network operators should be free to continue to do and manage their networks as they see fit.

No, I don't consider Sandvine's man-in-the-middle attacks to be legitimate traffic shaping, but there are a lot less intrusive methods out there.

Packrat33
@comcast.net

Packrat33 to MysticGogeta

Anon

to MysticGogeta
Okay, but it seems I cannot get a connection with any peers either on Utorrent. Only thing I use Utorrent for (used to use Azureus till it got all crappy) is to download Linux Distros, but now can't even download those.

elvey
Spamassassin
San Francisco, CA

elvey to funchords

to funchords

TV coverage.

If you're in the bay area, tune into channel 2 and/or channel 7.
Channel 7 at 6PM PDT.

I'll post links to the online versions if I can.
crucialcolin11
join:2004-09-12
Roseville, CA

crucialcolin11

good too see this stuff is finally starting to hit the mainstream media. Now hopefully this will put pressure on Comcast to do something about it.

JTRockville
Data Ho
Premium Member
join:2002-01-28
Rockville, MD

JTRockville to elvey

Premium Member

to elvey

said by elvey:

said by JTRockville:

The picture is of me, but yup, kudos to funchords and Peter Svensson. My phone is ringing off the hook - Fox news, Wayne Freedman ABC/KGO-TV...

Wow, two famous BBR members! Good luck on your TV interviews. I hope you find links to share.

Oh, btw, here's a google-hosted version of the AP article with even more pics of you!!
»ap.google.com/article/AL ··· 8SCGPQO0

And another good article about the issue from your neighbor (also in SF) Farhad Manjoo, but the pic he used isn't as attractive as yours:
»machinist.salon.com/blog ··· comcast/

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG to elvey

Premium Member

to elvey
Watch out for the Papparazzi, or even worse, possible reprisals ...

skmt
@comcast.net

skmt to funchords

Anon

to funchords
I don't understand why some people keep saying that this has nothing to do with Net Neutrality. To be sure, this is unrelated to the original issue of charging content providers a premium to ensure unfettered access to their content. Instead it's just another example demonstrating that we need to expand our concept of Net Neutrality.

There are those that seem to have an interest in erecting walls between us, claiming that they are protecting the rights of the majority from abuse by a dangerous minority. But it's not the majority that decides what's supposedly best for everyone--therein lies the rub. An even smaller minority of stuffed suits looking after their portfolios are the ones creating an artificial "us-versus-them" mentality.

That might be fine and well for those that play by their rules, until they start changing to rules to suit the thickness of their wallets.

elvey
Spamassassin
San Francisco, CA

2 edits

1 recommendation

elvey to crucialcolin11

to crucialcolin11

Re: TV coverage.

The media coverage was < sarcasm> impeccable as usual < /sarcasm> »www.ktvu.com/video/14382 ··· dex.html

»abclocal.go.com/kgo/stor ··· =5716714

The purpose of non-net-neutrality is to fix the problem of commodity Internet being a business market that is too competitive for the big players to make money hand over giant excavator shovelful.

PS The movie I was trying to BitTorrent was "INFEST WISELY".
elvey

1 edit

elvey to EG

to EG

said by EG:

Watch out for the Papparazzi, or even worse, possible reprisals ...
My address is quite hard to find. But reporter Pattie Lee got a hold of my cellphone #, I'm not sure how. Being a spamfigher (and some of the mobsters involved are quite scary) I try to be hard to find.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

Maybe you should have worn one of those George Bush masks when those vids were shot ?

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to elvey

MVM

to elvey
That video shows two people with your name. Which are you? heh

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

Seth Shoen ??

FairTriplePlay
@comcast.net

Anon

to funchords
A class action suite...actually feasible if you can get the EFF to back you 100% imo. Nice work fellas!!

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to skmt

MVM

to skmt
said by skmt :

I don't understand why some people keep saying that this has nothing to do with Net Neutrality. To be sure, this is unrelated to the original issue of charging content providers a premium to ensure unfettered access to their content. Instead it's just another example demonstrating that we need to expand our concept of Net Neutrality.
I suppose you would advocate free food and housing for all? "Food and housing neutrality" should be more important than expanded "net neutrality". I can live without fansub anime, but I need to eat, and a place to set up my computer to watch all of that anime.

Sorry for the hyperbole; but your next paragraph is also full of it.
There are those that seem to have an interest in erecting walls between us, claiming that they are protecting the rights of the majority from abuse by a dangerous minority. But it's not the majority that decides what's supposedly best for everyone--therein lies the rub. An even smaller minority of stuffed suits looking after their portfolios are the ones creating an artificial "us-versus-them" mentality.
Somebody has to pay for the bandwidth. WRT making Google pay for data I request; AT&T should set a price commensurate with the data I am pulling through their pipes. At the same time, they have the obligation to ensure that my data access does not disrupt my neighbors.
That might be fine and well for those that play by their rules, until they start changing to rules to suit the thickness of their wallets.
They are not being as arbitrary as you think. So far, of all the Comcast users I personally know, none are adversely affected by Sandvine. Only a vociferous few of all the posters in this forum are speaking up.

I agree that there ought to be a better way for Comcast to handle this issue. But it isn't affecting access to most data. Only that moved by P2P applications. And it isn't wholly blocked. BT appears to work until the file is completely downloaded. It is the seeding which is problematic.
NormanS

NormanS to FairTriplePlay

MVM

to FairTriplePlay
said by FairTriplePlay :

A class action suite...actually feasible if you can get the EFF to back you 100% imo. Nice work fellas!!
I thought that a civil suit needed to show some actual tort (damage) caused by the defendant against the plaintiff?

jig
join:2001-01-05
Hacienda Heights, CA

jig

damage is an element of a properly pleaded tort, but a tort is really about conduct, the tortuous conduct of the defendant.

EnasYorl
Thieves World
join:2001-12-02
West
·Ziply Fiber
Motorola MB8600
Netgear RAX15
Asus RT-AC66

EnasYorl to JTRockville

to JTRockville
said by JTRockville:

Nice picture of technology »www.sandvine.com/product ··· ment.asp