spc
Search similar:

uniqs

all world
@comcast.net

all world

Anon

Cherry Picking?

Who are you kidding? The most lucrative communities for cable service are not the rich subdivisions. Low income and rural neighborhood residents buy more premium channels, pay-per-views, high speed Internet and other producs and services. I guess if the projects were "cherry picked" the suburbs would be without cable service. The NAACP supports competition and increased telecommunications industry access for all who have been overcharged or blocked by cable TV.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

Karl Bode

News Guy

quote:
Low income and rural neighborhood residents buy more premium channels, pay-per-views, high speed Internet and other producs and services.
Yeah, I've heard AT&T execs say that, I know it's an internal talking point, and I'm sure it's based on some marginally relevant statistics that may even be partially true. The truth of that statement should then be pretty easily tested by how quickly U-Verse and FiOS gets deployed to low income and rural areas, yes?
quote:
I guess if the projects were "cherry picked" the suburbs would be without cable service. The NAACP supports competition and increased telecommunications industry access for all who have been overcharged or blocked by cable TV.
Yet they support bills that eliminate the very franchise system that forced providers to push services out to those areas in the first place?

Jimmy Konway
@speakeasy.net

Jimmy Konway

Anon

So why is Net Neut good for black folks? I hear a lot of ragging on the NAACP but nothing really tells me why net neut is good for blacks!

Karl Bode
News Guy

Karl Bode

News Guy

Depends how you define network neutrality, or if you support network neutrality laws (I don't because I doubt legislator competence, not because I find the concept unsound).

The idea of allowing consumers equal access to competing services without blockades or service degredation is good for all consumers of any race...

Jimmy Konway
@speakeasy.net

Jimmy Konway

Anon

I understand that. However, why would you need legislation if there isnt a problem to begin with?

Karl Bode
News Guy

Karl Bode

News Guy

You asked "why is Net Neut good for black folks." I answered that.

Whether there should be network neutrality laws is a different issue. As I said, I don't support laws (yet).

The desire for the laws is based on the concern is thatmonopoly power will ultimately lead incumbent providers to shut out content competition. I believe that's a factual worry.