join:2002-09-03
Smithfield, NC
Netgear CM500
Asus RT-AC68

2 edits

MrMoody

Premium Member

Census

Figures, as soon as I post in the Morning Links thread.

They should use the 2010 Census to map it precisely.

Also, the proposed definition is 1Mb minimum up! Go Dems! Under this definition I don't have broadband available, in fact I don't think there's (residential) 1Mb upload available anywhere in this whole semi-suburban county of about 150,000.
bi0tech
join:2003-06-19
Cockeysville, MD

1 edit

bi0tech

"The bill would establish in law that "high-speed" access means "transmission at speeds allowing the user to download not less than 2 megabits per second and upload not less than 1 megabit per second.’’

Heh, the cable industry supporting that statement? Somehow I doubt it. 1mbps upstream would clearly cause 'total protonic reversal' along with Brian Roberts head exploding.
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn

No , it would not.

They are Comcastic ! They have upload "powerboost" which give a bump to over 1 mbit !

Good try though, they could use wording to fit into the high speed access grouping.
bi0tech
join:2003-06-19
Cockeysville, MD

bi0tech

I would think not. The entire concept here is to report accurately (or at least moreso than currently) what is available.

Who really has a 1mbps upstream from Comcast? Around these parts, I have yet to see any Comcast connection pull a 1mbps upstream result from a speed test.

Michieru2
zzz zzz zzz
Premium Member
join:2005-01-28
Miami, FL

Michieru2 to bi0tech

Premium Member

to bi0tech
Well since ADSL can only max out at 768 I somehow could see this bill wipe out the entire "broadband penetration" map to a mere dots on a U.S map.

Under this bill it would say I am not receiving broadband as my connection at home is 1500/768.

The telco's will fight it tooth and nail.

bomber991anon

Anon

Hell I have Road Runner, I get 6Mbps down and only 350Kbps up, so I guess I don't get broadband anymore either.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2 to BosstonesOwn

Premium Member

to BosstonesOwn
Yea.. I know how "Comcastic" IS the cable industry...

However, this is supposed to be a good thing... haven't gotten all the way down through the rants yet, but this shows that people will bitch because they want something done, and when something is trying to be done, they will bitch about it too.

.. me thinks people just like to bitch and fester.

fonzbear2000
Premium Member
join:2005-08-09
Saint Paul, MN
·Verizon Wireless

fonzbear2000 to bi0tech

Premium Member

to bi0tech
said by bi0tech:

I would think not. The entire concept here is to report accurately (or at least moreso than currently) what is available.

Who really has a 1mbps upstream from Comcast? Around these parts, I have yet to see any Comcast connection pull a 1mbps upstream result from a speed test.
i have comcast

that's the 6/384 tier with powerboost
dynodb
Premium Member
join:2004-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

dynodb to Michieru2

Premium Member

to Michieru2
said by Michieru2:

Well since ADSL can only max out at 768 I somehow could see this bill wipe out the entire "broadband penetration" map to a mere dots on a U.S map.
Incorrect- ADSL maxes at 1024k up, though not all providers provision to the full rate. Qwest used to, but for technical reasons went to 896k.
MDMemployee
join:2007-05-18
Beverly Hills, CA

MDMemployee to fonzbear2000

to fonzbear2000
I am comcastic also! Same $55 8/384 speeds.

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese to bi0tech

Premium Member

to bi0tech