uniqs
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to nixen

Premium Member

to nixen

Re: Data collection rules need upgrading; but 2/1 for BB doesn't

You can define the service however you'd like (you don't need a law to do this) so long as providers aren't mandated to provide said service.

nixen
Rockin' the Boxen
Premium Member
join:2002-10-04
Alexandria, VA

nixen

Premium Member

said by openbox9:

You can define the service however you'd like (you don't need a law to do this) so long as providers aren't mandated to provide said service.
Providers are not mandated to provide the service. All it does is limits them on what they can legally call something that they sell.
openbox9
Premium Member

1 recommendation

openbox9

Premium Member

Then defining "broadband" is unneeded legislation. Less government is the way we be moving towards, not more bureaucracy.

nixen
Rockin' the Boxen
Premium Member
Alexandria, VA

1 recommendation

nixen

Premium Member

said by openbox9:

Then defining "broadband" is unneeded legislation. Less government is the way we be moving towards, not more bureaucracy.
You're right. There should be no reason for the government to define standards for what a given product may be advertised as. A "beef" hotdog should be allowed to be comprised of goat rather than cow muscle.
lesopp
join:2001-06-27
Land O Lakes, FL

lesopp

I'd feel more comfortable if the IETF or some such technical group defined broadband.

Given their track records over the past 30 years any congressional definition, of how fast something should be or how efficient something should be, lacks creditability.

nixen
Rockin' the Boxen
Premium Member
Alexandria, VA

nixen

Premium Member

said by lesopp:

I'd feel more comfortable if the IETF or some such technical group defined broadband.

Given their track records over the past 30 years any congressional definition, of how fast something should be or how efficient something should be, lacks creditability.
Ok... So, you would turn over rule-making for domestic commerce to an international body that neither has that in their charter nor would likely want such responsibility.

At any rate, what would you consider to be a "fair" measurement of what broadband is? Would "1% of prevailing long-haul network technologies" be fair?

firephoto
Truth and reality matters
Premium Member
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA

firephoto to openbox9

Premium Member

to openbox9
said by openbox9:

Yes they do need to define it and do it properly because the government gives out loans and grants for broadband deployment and guess what? they don't have to buy faster equipment so they don't and offer the super fast 512 package that is TEN TIMES faster than dialup.
lesopp
join:2001-06-27
Land O Lakes, FL

lesopp to nixen

to nixen
I'm skeptical of anything defined by politicians, however, if the definition were authored by the scientific and engineering community I would feel differently.

It is not that I think 2/1 is unfair, rather I think it is arbitrary. Is there a engineering basis for 2/1, I would like a to know why not more or why not less.

It has nothing to do with commerce, which existed before there was a definition, it continued to exist with the current lame definition and it will continue to exist regardless of any congressional definition. Once they set the definition it will likely never change and 20 years from now there will be more political battles. Moving this into the realm of the IETF would depoliticize it.

I disagree that it not in their charter. Here's their mission statement:
The mission of the IETF is to produce high quality, relevant technical and engineering documents that influence the way people design, use, and manage the Internet in such a way as to make the Internet work better. These documents include protocol standards, best current practices, and informational documents of various kinds.

nixen
Rockin' the Boxen
Premium Member
Alexandria, VA

nixen

Premium Member

said by lesopp:

It has nothing to do with commerce, which existed before there was a definition, it continued to exist with the current lame definition and it will continue to exist regardless of any congressional definition. Once they set the definition it will likely never change and 20 years from now there will be more political battles. Moving this into the realm of the IETF would depoliticize it.
Which is why I gave a formula-based definition as an example.

I disagree that it not in their charter. Here's their mission statement:
said by lesopp:

The mission of the IETF is to produce high quality, relevant technical and engineering documents that influence the way people design, use, and manage the Internet in such a way as to make the Internet work better. These documents include protocol standards, best current practices, and informational documents of various kinds.
However, nowhere in the above-quoted charter do they mention policy. They attempt to keep things as tech-oriented and neutral as any standards body is likely to succeed in doing. Taking on policy automatically invalidates neutrality.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2 to firephoto

Premium Member

to firephoto
I personally think it's time to stop comparing "broadband" or "High-speed internet" to dial up anyway...

The people behind the marketing have gotten stale. Since every commercial talks about how much faster their connection is to dial up, you'd think their biggest competition IS dial up.. now a days, phone goes after cable, and cable after phone. Very slooooowsky are they starting to compare themselves to each other.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9 to firephoto

Premium Member

to firephoto
said by firephoto:

Yes they do need to define it and do it properly because the government gives out loans and grants for broadband deployment and guess what
That's another issue that should be addressed...the government shouldn't be handing out loans/grants for broadband deployment.
bolivian
join:2007-05-01
Martinsburg, WV

bolivian to nixen

to nixen
well verizon fios is 5/2 so this will be consider broadband too bad i don't have it