spc
Search similar:

uniqs
XknightHawkX
join:2003-02-13
East Peoria, IL

XknightHawkX

Doesn't matter what is defined

Doesn't matter who or how it's defined. They'll screw it up. What gets me is the speed they advertise. My connection with Verizon is 1.5 megabit down and 384 kilobit up. When I had insightbb I had a 3 megabit down and 384 kilobit up. Now who is the idiot that decided to define the speeds in bits?

My web browser reads in bytes, Most of the other programs reads in bytes. The bit thing was a way to throw people for a loop I guess. It doesn't matter how broadband is defined cause dsl has a big limitation.

Oh yeah dsl says it's better then cable.NOT. I am barely in range for the 1.5/384 package. I live in a trailer park that provides it's own cable so I can't get the 10/1 package from insightbb that covers the area around me. Definition is not going to help someone get a faster connection.
cghh
join:2001-01-15
Milpitas, CA

cghh

said by XknightHawkX:

Now who is the idiot that decided to define the speeds in bits?
The entire communications industry by convention always uses bits to express data rates, since that is what is sent down the "wire": the data is sent one bit after another down the transmission medium. Computer memories are organized around chunks called "bytes", so that is what is used in that context. And years ago, there were machines that didn't use 8-bit bytes. The CDC 6000 series in the '70s used a 60-bit word. DEC PDP-10 systems used 36-bit words.