All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

john_02
join:2005-01-31
canada

john_02

3web is downgrading upload speed to 512?

Hey guys,

starting last week my upload speed is down to 512 from 800kb. I have no idea what is going on. The download speed is around 7MB instead of advertised 5MB profile. I called up cia/3web and had to wait more than an hr to talk to a tech and they said they could do absolutely nothing. He said my computer might have spyware and it is degrading my upload speed . I did some testing and found out thats not an issue. So where do I proceed to get my upload speed back to normal? The tech guys seemed to have no idea about what he was talking about.

here is a recent speed test:

jyeung
inspiration reality
Premium Member
join:2004-03-30
North York, ON

jyeung

Premium Member

The profiles were changed. You might be able to get them to bump you up to the 8Mbps profile which seems to have 800kbps upload.

- Jason

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

If the profiles were changed, somebody had better tell CIA.

The only area you're likely to get 512 upstream is in western canada on 3web dsl.

john_02
canada

3 edits

john_02

said by sbrook:

If the profiles were changed, somebody had better tell CIA.

The only area you're likely to get 512 upstream is in western canada on 3web dsl.
no. I was getting 800 upstream fine till last week. I have no idea what they did. I'm in North york btw and I'm on cable not DSL.
My ISP is listed as ISTOP for some weird reason.

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

You're listed as ISTOP because the IP address you've been given is one that was originally assigned to ISTOP (originally owned by Ralph Doncaster) which was bought out by CIA the owner of 3web. cia have yet to totally "amalgamate" all their companies under the cia umbrella and this is another sign of that ... they've yet to transfer the IP assignments with arin to cia.
igsjake
join:2002-11-13
Ottawa, ON

igsjake

Yeah, open a ticket with tech to get them to yell at the cableco and get your sync profile raised.

We (3web, cia, etc) wouldn't have requested a drop in profile for any customer...I think that what more than likely happened was Rogers tried to mass-upgrade a whack of people in that area, and for whatever reason your line couldn't do whatever the new level is, and thus somehow set ye back to some standard, "safe" sync rate.

Just a theory, anyways...

But the techs should be able to get it straightened out.
roberthuang
join:2006-04-21

1 edit

roberthuang to john_02

to john_02
My cable internet DL speed is 6600kb/s and UL is 493kb/s. Used to get 793kb/s UL speed. I live in North York.

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Be interesting to see if we get Rogers users start complaining.
jyeung
inspiration reality
Premium Member
North York, ON

jyeung to igsjake

Premium Member

to igsjake
Jake, what is the best way to get them to yell at Rogers? Call in? I called in yesterday and the support rep said that it was normal.

- Jason

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Jake, cable isn't like DSL, there aren't "sync" speeds ...

The modem is set to a given profile and it then runs at whatever it can get and with DOCSIS modems, it's usually pretty darned close.

Rogers has been doing some upgrading and may have goofed on the profile downloaded to those modems (it wouldn't be the first time!)

MikeG
Premium Member
join:2004-10-02
Hamilton, ON

MikeG to john_02

Premium Member

to john_02
As was said already.. Rogers has been rolling out speed increases for their Express(7/512) & Extreme(8/800) tiers. Looks like when they forced the new profiles some of CIA's users were affected.

Consider it a free upgrade. I don't know whether I would bring up the issue, as you might end up getting set back on your original 5/800, losing 2mbps on the downstream. Depending on your needs though, if you want more upload then definitely bring it to their attention over at the tech desk.

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

A free upgrade? To go from 800 up to 500 up????

Scoop18
join:2006-08-05
Ottawa, ON

Scoop18

You get what you pay for in this case. Oh yeah, I forgot everything is much better in 3Web/CIA land now.

MikeG
Premium Member
Hamilton, ON

MikeG to sbrook

Premium Member

to sbrook
Yes.. from 5mbps to 7mbps.. I'd consider than an upgrade.

As well, as I said later in my post above.. depending on his needs, if more upload is what he wants, hes more than welcome to call in & request to be put on another profile. More than likely he'll be put on his original 5/800.

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Mike, Rogers upgraded but kept the upstream speed the same! This 3web customer had his upstream speed reduced!

Something has gone wrong!

adisor19
join:2004-10-11

adisor19 to MikeG

to MikeG
said by MikeG:

Yes.. from 5mbps to 7mbps.. I'd consider than an upgrade.

As well, as I said later in my post above.. depending on his needs, if more upload is what he wants, hes more than welcome to call in & request to be put on another profile. More than likely he'll be put on his original 5/800.
Err, MikeG, how is a drop from 800kbps to 512kbps an UPGRADE ?? Everybody needs more upload especially when it's freakin low to begin with. Torrent trackers slow your torrents down if you don't have a decent upload speed. This is a terrible "upgrade" if you can even call it that !

Adi

john_02
canada

john_02

Hi Jake, I have dropped you a private message including my details to get this issue resolved. I hope you could help me out mate. I was trying to get to a support agent for almost an hr and he had me disconnected shortly after it said "You are the first in line"

Anyways, I have dropped a private msg including my details. Hopefully you would be able to open up a ticket for me with rogers and get this issue straightened out.

You guys are right, they've put me on the 7/512 profile while my best friend down the street receives 8/800!!

MikeG
Premium Member
Hamilton, ON

MikeG to adisor19

Premium Member

to adisor19
I've already stated twice that i was talking about the downstream speeds, not the upload. 5 to 7.

Yes to he went from 800 to 512.. all i was saying is if he liked the increased download then consider it a free upgrade.
I don't know why I have to repeat myself again as I've already said this.

And Sbrook, Rogers was at 5/384 for Express, so the upstream for that was increased, but I can see you're talking about the extreme service.

Anyways.. I don't want to start an argument over something like this, so John, hopefully they can get your speeds back up.

john_02
canada

john_02

said by MikeG:

I've already stated twice that i was talking about the downstream speeds, not the upload. 5 to 7.

Yes to he went from 800 to 512.. all i was saying is if he liked the increased download then consider it a free upgrade.
I don't know why I have to repeat myself again as I've already said this.

And Sbrook, Rogers was at 5/384 for Express, so the upstream for that was increased, but I can see you're talking about the extreme service.

Anyways.. I don't want to start an argument over something like this, so John, hopefully they can get your speeds back up.
No you don't get it... I was on a 8/800 profile earlier -

Here is my proof:

The profile I'm on now is 7/512... and here is a speed test now:

So how could this be an upgrade? From 8/800 profile to 7/512 profile is a downgrade to me...

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

It looks like John has been on strange profiles even before.

8/800 was not a standard profile ... as Mike points out the Rogers standards were 5/384 or 6/800 Recently changed to 6/384 and 7/800 (and it seems Extreme may be being changed again).

but 7/512 is not a standard Rogers profile and never has been.

3Web has been following Rogers Express profiles, so this is strange for their Gold service. They never implemented their Platinum service in the east, so these speeds don't make sense.

MikeG
Premium Member
Hamilton, ON

MikeG to john_02

Premium Member

to john_02
said by john_02:

No you don't get it... I was on a 8/800 profile earlier -

Here is my proof:

(img)

The profile I'm on now is 7/512.....

So how could this be an upgrade? From 8/800 profile to 7/512 profile is a downgrade to me...
You didn't mention in your original post that you were on the 8/800 profile prior to being put on the 7/512 profile, so when you said you had 800k up...seeing as how 5/800 was the norm for 3web, going from 5->7 would be an increase. You only mentioned that your upload was at 800, then was brought down to 512.

Netmaster
@cia.com

Netmaster

Anon

Me too, my profile as been "upgraded" to the 7/512

This sucks, what is the difference in download between 5 and 7 mbits? a few seconds? Forget it at peak hours.. its useless and they know it..

I have sent an e-mail to 3web asking kindly to get my profile switched back
igsjake
join:2002-11-13
Ottawa, ON

igsjake

Yeah, I've seen a bunch of complaints of this here.

I assure you it's not 3Web screwing with profiles, it's Rogers. Rogers is in complete control of that.

When you (CY/3web customers) open a ticket with us to change profile, we then open a ticket with Rogers to get the profile changed...and wait 2-3 days on average, I'd guesstimate.
jiaming2k
join:2007-05-26
North York, ON

jiaming2k to john_02

to john_02
My cable internet has been slow on upload for 2 weeks now. Tried calling them about this and some guy from rogers came over but said my connection was fine.I did some speed tests and found the new speed to be 7/512 instead of 5/800. What is there to do now?

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

This is speculation, but I wouldn't mind betting that Rogers said to 3web ... control your upstream usage or we'll start throttling your customers ... so 3web agreed instead to an upstream speed reduction.
jyeung
inspiration reality
Premium Member
North York, ON

jyeung

Premium Member

Just called right now - no wait and I got thru to a friendly tech who placed a ticket with Rogers to increase the upload.

If this level of service remains, then I'm happy.

- Jason
frankute
join:2007-04-25
Ottawa, ON

frankute to john_02

to john_02
Please keep us posted about your result. I keep my fingers crossed, because I got the same problem too.

john_02
canada

1 edit

john_02

This is what I'm getting right now.

I called up 3web, got through within 2 mins and They sent me a tech today to do a line check and the tech from rogers said the line is fine and he could do nothing to change the profile. I called back 3web to complain and got through again within 2 mins to a tech and He accepted there are issues with the 3web cable customers regarding their upload speed being lowered and said it will be fixed soon and told me that someone from 3web will return a call once the error is fixed. I asked him how long it would take and he said it's affecting all the 3web customers so He can't give me a date or specific time it could take to fix. Further he said it could take 1-2 days to as far as 2 weeks to get it fixed. He said it all depends on rogers.

anon3
@telus.net

anon3

Anon

It's like they don't even know how their own network works, why send a tech when this is obviously a config problem? You get your speeds from your modem downloading a configuration file from their (actually Rogers') servers, all they would have to do is switch yours. It has nothing to do with line problems as they would like you to believe.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to sbrook

Premium Member

to sbrook
Sbrook,
I'd certainly call an upgrade from 5mb to 7mb for no charge free.

Upload speeds mean nothing to me (I don't use Torrents) so I'll take the 7mb and run.