Federal Flack
Premium
join:2001-10-21
Germantown, MD

4 edits

Mafia 8: Strange Days in Broadtown

READ THESE RULES.

General Rules:

1) DO NOT EDIT. Editing posts screws up the vote tallies and allows people to change incriminating posts. Action may be taken against people who edit posts, up to and including unfortunate accident.
2) Night will have a 12-hour time limit. If night choices are not sent in time, they will be forfeited. If all night choices are received before the limit expires, night will end earlier and the results will be announced. Days have no limit and will take as long as needed, unless we stall. If the day is taking a really long time and there is no significant movement on votes, I'll set up a deadline. Once the deadline hits, the person with the most votes, majority or not, will die. I do not expect a day deadline to be necessary.
3) Any person can claim to be any role if they wish. Lying about your role is certainly permitted. Keep in mind that you may run the risk of getting killed if you're a role that threatens the other team.
4) If you need to quit, let the moderator know. We'll try to find someone to replace your role. Do not suicide in the thread, please.

Communication Rules:

1) If your role does not allow it, NO PRIVATE COMMUNICATION. If you are contacted privately by any person with information or analysis about the game, let me know and the player will suffer an unfortunate accident.
2) Do not thumb posts of other players at any time! Contact me if someone thumbs your post. Anyone found thumbing will suffer an unfortunate accident.
3) If you are dead, you are permitted to make a farewell post. Your post cannot contain any information you've learned, nor any analysis of things that have taken place. Do not say anything like "Check out who I had been suspicious of" or anything similar. This farewell post should be more of a "Darn, Go Town/Mafia"-type post. This is perhaps the most-violated rule. Violation of this rule may result in banning from future games, so please, keep the death posts light. This rule extends to Mafia as well! Dead Mafia cannot assist in any manner with analysis, decisions, or any other thing. No communication is permitted between dead Mafia and living Mafia, aside from the farewell post previously mentioned.
4) Living Mafia members can communicate privately at any time, day or night, through private messages or the private forum which they will be given.
5) No posting in the thread by any person during the Night phase. Violators will suffer an unfortunate accident. Night phase begins when the moderator posts saying so (following a lynch).

Lynch Rules:

1) Each player may submit a lynch vote in the thread like this, in bold: Vote: playername. You can also unvote by: Unvote: playername. Bolding is done like this: [ b ] Vote: playername [ / b ] without the spaces inside the brackets. Please try to bold all votes. Only bolded votes will be counted (unless otherwise stated in that player's post). A simple majority will cause a lynch, and the player's role will be revealed by the moderator.
2) When a simple majority is reached, the lynch is locked in. Subsequent unvotes cannot reverse a lynch that reached majority, even if the moderator has not yet stated the death.
3) A majority choosing to Vote: No Lynch will end the day without a lynch and we will proceed to night.

In the event of a deadlocked vote (equal number of town and Mafia), Mafia wins. The same is true for other factions. If at any time two people are left and one is a non-aligned character, he/she wins.

Roles will be private messaged to each player shortly after this thread is posted. If you haven't received my role IM within 24 hours or so, I may find an alternate for your role.

GOOD LUCK!
--
If I didn't see it... it didn't happen!

[mod edit - removed the Day # from the subject line as requested]

MDReferee
Federal Flack
Premium
Germantown, MD

In the pre-dawn light, the Mayor, always conscious about his figure, takes his early morning jog. He can't figure out why he's been seeing all sorts of strange graffiti around his fair city lately. Moons and stars. He wonders if it’s a new viral marketing campaign for a popular marshmallow breakfast cereal. He can’t remember the name, but he’s sure it’s the one with the Leprechaun on the box. Maybe it’s a Harry Potter thing. Who knows? Anyway, he's got Rage Against the Machine's "Bomb Track" playing so loud on his iPod as he jogs, he doesn't hear the squeal of tires as the black Hummer turns the corner behind him. As it pulls alongside the town’s leader and he finally sees it, several people in fatigues jump out. One rips the tiny white headphones from the Mayor’s ears, shoves a gun under his chin and fires. Before the Mayor even hits the ground, the thugs grab the iPod, jump back in the Hummer and tear off into the shadows. Was this a random killing? A simple mugging? Or was it the sign of something much more sinister?

The Mayor has been killed!
--

I was there on 9-11
Premium
join:2007-04-22
lol
reply to MDReferee

inb4tl

I was there on 9-11
Premium
lol

just kidding... good morning broadtown. This closed setup with a non-bastard mod will prove interesting.

MDReferee
Federal Flack
Premium
Germantown, MD
reply to MDReferee

The Cast of Characters:
AmeritecTech See Profile
Rook008 See Profile
aztecnology See Profile
chlen See Profile
SK See Profile
Dezbend See Profile
dirtyjeffer See Profile
Hesher See Profile
htmlartist See Profile
Jagermeistr See Profile
Jehu See Profile
kewlkarim See Profile
42246015 See Profile
Akasha See Profile
manfmmd See Profile
Sober See Profile
Mastr Blastr See Profile
muzscman See Profile
Obliteration See Profile
older dog See Profile
Sharingan77 See Profile
TeatherWind See Profile
yock See Profile
--

Sober
Just Say No
Premium
join:2003-02-24
Crack House
reply to MDReferee

HI!

aztecnology
O Rly?
Premium
join:2003-02-12
Murrieta, CA
reply to MDReferee

said by MDReferee:

In the pre-dawn light, the Mayor, always conscious about his figure, takes his early morning jog. He can't figure out why he's been seeing all sorts of strange graffiti around his fair city lately. Moons and stars. He wonders if it’s a new viral marketing campaign for a popular marshmallow breakfast cereal. He can’t remember the name, but he’s sure it’s the one with the Leprechaun on the box. Maybe it’s a Harry Potter thing. Who knows? Anyway, he's got Rage Against the Machine's "Bomb Track" playing so loud on his iPod as he jogs, he doesn't hear the squeal of tires as the black Hummer turns the corner behind him. As it pulls alongside the town’s leader and he finally sees it, several people in fatigues jump out. One rips the tiny white headphones from the Mayor’s ears, shoves a gun under his chin and fires. Before the Mayor even hits the ground, the thugs grab the iPod, jump back in the Hummer and tear off into the shadows. Was this a random killing? A simple mugging? Or was it the sign of something much more sinister?

The Mayor has been killed!
lol, they took the ipod...
--
"Independent thinkers tend to ALWAYS have someone not agreeing with them. It's The non-thinkers that always come in legions." John Callari .:|:. Say no to the IRS Yes to the Fair Tax

manfmmd
Premium
join:2003-01-14
Earth, TX
reply to MDReferee

Good Morning Everyone.

MDReferee
Federal Flack
Premium
Germantown, MD
reply to MDReferee

Good Morning Broadtown.

It is Day 1.

23 now remain, requiring 12 to lynch.
--

AmeritecTech
Change we can believe in, 1922
Premium
join:2002-09-06
Houston, TX
kudos:6
reply to MDReferee

Oh God, I hope there isn't a cult in this game. The Moons and Stars makes me think there might be. Cults are big trouble.

I was there on 9-11
Premium
lol
reply to MDReferee

I'm trying to analyze the opening story now. Our mod, MDReferee, said in the story that the mayor has spotted "moons and stars graffiti around the city."

I'm guessing, though this is a wild guess - that there is now a spiritual cult of some sort in broadtown. A quick check on the mafiascum website revealed that there are cult characters. So this will be interesting, it appears we will now have 2 sinister factions fighting to win, the mafia, and the cult, on top of the solo roles (serial killer, werewolf, etc) and the townsfolk themselves. This will be difficult.

Trust no one!

MDReferee
Federal Flack
Premium
Germantown, MD
reply to MDReferee

In the interest of Full Disclosure: there are 6 "items" in the game, assigned to specific roles, which will be distributed either Today or tomorrow (Will draw random numbers shortly). You will receive a PM with your item if you are getting one. If you don't get a PM, you might get one tomorrow, or you get nothing.
--

I was there on 9-11
Premium
lol
reply to AmeritecTech

said by AmeritecTech:

Oh God, I hope there isn't a cult in this game. The Moons and Stars makes me think there might be. Cults are big trouble.
beat me to it, damn my slow typing

Jehu
Hodor
Premium
join:2002-09-13
MA
kudos:2
reply to MDReferee

/ Jehu's Broadband is open for business. No gold farmers allowed. /

Good day Broadtown.
--
The worm he licks my bones

yock
TFTC
Premium
join:2000-11-21
Miamisburg, OH
kudos:3
reply to MDReferee

I'm hungry. When is LurLyn's opening?

Dezbend
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-20
reply to Jehu

Just for the record, I will be voting against folks who use an “attack the person” approach. This is a mafia tactic to draw attention away from analytical thinking. I also will be sticking with my strategy from game 6 that is watching for bandwagoners and wishy-washy voters and especially voters who do not give an explanation as to their vote.

I am afraid however there may be posting limitations set up in this game (i.e. can not make first or last vote, can not post more than x words per post, etc.) because of the closed format. Therefore I will not be as narrow minded in my pursuit as I was in the previous game.

good luck town, hope everyone has fun!
--
If it is not recorded, it simply does not exist.

Jehu
Hodor
Premium
join:2002-09-13
MA
reply to yock

WTF? I kicked out the gold farmers and now the place is empty....

err..

/ Jehu's Broadband Welcomes gold farmers! /

Yock I'll make you a sandwich...
--
The worm he licks my bones

I was there on 9-11
Premium
lol
reply to Dezbend

said by Dezbend:

Just for the record, I will be voting against folks who use an “attack the person” approach. This is a mafia tactic to draw attention away from analytical thinking.

For the record, I myself believe the opposite is true, usually the outspoken and 'attacker' type people have turned out to be crazy townsfolk trying to get a response from people to decide if they are mafia or not based on how they react.

And if we don't 'attack' anyone, how exactly do we get any mafia lynched? Someone has to get attacked every round.

Jagermeistr
Premium
join:2002-08-18
Oradell, NJ

said by 42246015:

said by Dezbend:

Just for the record, I will be voting against folks who use an “attack the person” approach. This is a mafia tactic to draw attention away from analytical thinking.

For the record, I myself believe the opposite is true, usually the outspoken and 'attacker' type people have turned out to be crazy townsfolk trying to get a response from people to decide if they are mafia or not based on how they react.

And if we don't 'attack' anyone, how exactly do we get any mafia lynched? Someone has to get attacked every round.
you heard it here first folks- lollercakes = mafia

Dezbend
Premium,MVM
reply to MDReferee

btw my barber shop is open for business.

Dezbend flips the closed sign over to read "OPEN" and tapes a notice to the window: Mafia, Occultics, Monsters, and Lawyers not welcome here. - Gawd I hope there are no Lawyers in this game.
--

yock
TFTC
Premium
Miamisburg, OH
reply to Jehu

said by Jehu:

Yock I'll make you a sandwich...
You da man! Internet cafe, right? Is that sandwich caffeinated? 'cause that'd be pretty sweet.
--
Laughter is the closest distance between two people. --Victor Borge
"The opposite of war isn't peace, it's creation."

Dezbend
Premium,MVM
reply to 42246015

Ah, I was not clear.

I believe in the lynching - to develop voting patterns and what not. What I don't believe in is a statement like "Don't listen to Dezbend he has been wrong in the last 4 games - he is a total idiot." (see: »www.mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php···e_Person).

It is true that townies have entered into this type of attack, thus my warning. We should not be using it, let it be a tell-tale sign of the mafia. It is the kind of argument they might make.
--

I was there on 9-11
Premium
lol
reply to Jagermeistr

said by Jagermeistr:

said by 42246015:

said by Dezbend:

you heard it here first folks- lollercakes = mafia
Oh yes. Like the past 4 games where I always got lynched in the first round or two, and it was always discovered I was pro-town. Lynch me again and make it 5 times, go ahead. I hope you don't of course, but what can I do? Each time I claimed to be innocent, nobody believed me, but I was always shown to have not been lying and have been innocent each time. Oh well.

I almost wish I were mafia this game, because always being pro-town is getting boring. At least this time I got a power role, but everyone did any way, so nothing special there lol.

muzscman
Mr. President
Premium
join:2002-02-15
Florissant, MO
reply to MDReferee

Good morning broadtown.

muz opens up the music store and announces a sale on all pop music so he can clear it out of his store.

he restocks his supply of all of the classics. floyd, zepplin, and anything along those lines.

he walks over to his dj chair and fires up some classic rock hoping to rock the free world. feel free to join us.

point your fav music player towards:

http://smallz.dyndns.org:8000

--
"It's better to be a pirate than to join the Navy." -Steve Jobs

yock
TFTC
Premium
Miamisburg, OH

Aren't most radio stations all mobbed up? =)

Akasha
OT Queen
Premium
join:2006-08-10
Am I lost?
reply to yock

said by yock:

I'm hungry. When is LurLyn's opening?
Sorry Yock! With all the recent crime in the city - I wanted to feel safe. So I just got an office job for the City of Broadtown. I now type and get coffee for people. But at least there are benefits (the insurance is excellent)

I'll have to go try Jehu's place. Anybody know if it's any good?
--
~ Team Helix - F@H and R@H ~

I was there on 9-11
Premium
lol
reply to Dezbend

said by Dezbend:

It is true that townies have entered into this type of attack, thus my warning. We should not be using it, let it be a tell-tale sign of the mafia. It is the kind of argument they might make.
The problem is; what is stopping the mafia from also taking your advice and not using that tactic?

Any gameplans or tactics we come up here, the mafia can copy just as easily. I still think looking at voting patterns is the best and most proven way to find out who is who.

MDReferee
Federal Flack
Premium
Germantown, MD
reply to yock

said by yock:

Just ask Clear Channel Broadcasting.
--

muzscman
Mr. President
Premium
join:2002-02-15
Florissant, MO
reply to yock

said by yock:

I pride myself on a mob free radio station...
--
"It's better to be a pirate than to join the Navy." -Steve Jobs

Dezbend
Premium,MVM
reply to 42246015

Fair enough. I agree that voting patterns are the hardest to "fake" - but I just want pro-town roles to act like pro-town roles so there is not accidental lynchings. If you are pro-town but acting like mafia it is your own problem if you die.
--