spc
Search similar:

uniqs

inGearX
3.1415 9265
join:2000-06-11
New York

inGearX

Help - I've got Cat6 PCs - but no router...

Good day all - I want to ask for your advice on how to properly upgrade to Cat 6 in my situation?

All my PCs have Cat 6 - but my LinkSys router is 3 years old and is Cat 6

I notice that Cat 6 router is $120 or so...

is that router my only option? is that my best option?

Thank you all...
alottabull
join:2004-09-04
Cen Tex

alottabull

What do you mean by going Cat6? I guess I don't understand because you can plugin Cat6 anywhere you were using Cat5. Do you mean you are upgrading to gigabit?

bbarrera
MVM
join:2000-10-23
Sacramento, CA

bbarrera to inGearX

MVM

to inGearX
How fast is your Internet? I'm assuming your router has 10/100Mbps Ethernet ports and your computers have gigabit Ethernet. Upgrading your router probably won't make Internet faster. However transfers between PCs will be faster if you add a gigabit switch ($50) or upgrading router to gigabit Ethernet model ($120+).

Don't expect gigabit transfers between PCs, unless you have very fast hard drives you'll likely see 40MB/sec (320Mbps) file transfers between computers over gigabit Ethernet.
Expand your moderator at work
ChiTang
MVM
join:2002-08-23
Alhambra, CA

ChiTang to inGearX

MVM

to inGearX

Re: Help - I've got Cat6 PCs - but no router...

Another possibility will be getting a gigabit switch.

modem -> router -> switch -> PCs.

That will potentially increase Lan performance but internet access will remain the same.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to inGearX

MVM

to inGearX
Category is a rating system applied to wiring not electronic equipment.

Cat 5e supports up to Gig Ethernet. There is no Ethernet specification that requires Cat 6. The new 10G Ethernet over copper requires Cat 6A (augmented) to meet worst case conditions. Cat 6 will work in many cases.

What is it you are tying to accomplish. Per your post everything you have is Cat 6.

/tom

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to inGearX

MVM

to inGearX
I would also like to know what router you are looking at that costs $120. I haven't seen any "cat 6" routers.

nixen
Rockin' the Boxen
Premium Member
join:2002-10-04
Alexandria, VA

nixen to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX
said by inGearX:

Good day all - I want to ask for your advice on how to properly upgrade to Cat 6 in my situation?
Yank out the old, non Cat6 cables and install Cat6 cables?
said by inGearX:

I notice that Cat 6 router is $120 or so...
Err... What??
said by inGearX:

is that router my only option? is that my best option?

Thank you all...
I think you're either confused or confused in your terminology. Either way, your condition is very contagious. Right now, my brain hurts from trying to process your post!

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

said by nixen:

I think you're either confused or confused in your terminology. Either way, your condition is very contagious. Right now, my brain hurts from trying to process your post!
Agreed, I think he's under some kind of false impression that upgrading to CAT6 would increase the speed of his internet (which it won't). Unless you have a spool of it in the trunk of your car and plenty of time to kill, there's no reason to do it unless you have a need to transfer at gigabit speeds within your home... and even then, quality CAT5 would still suit you just fine. And if you were going that route, you'd still continue to use your old router and just pick up a gigabit switch.

nfixit2004
Premium Member
join:2004-01-06
Brooklyn, NY

nfixit2004 to ChiTang

Premium Member

to ChiTang
said by ChiTang:

Another possibility will be getting a gigabit switch.

modem -> router -> switch -> PCs.

That will potentially increase Lan performance but internet access will remain the same.
agreed! like others posted, just get the gigabit switch, unless your worried about having more plugs connected to your ups/surge protector, in that case upgrade your router. and with all this said, I hope all of your pcs are gigabit ready(with 1gbps NICs), the cat6 cables are not going to do it(just thought I mentioned that)

hope this helps