All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
System

to jman642

Anon

to jman642

Re: Directions on Telneting to your SpeedStream 5260

Several questions have been asked, and not responded to, so I would, respectfully, submit them again!

First, does changing the 5260 from half to full duplex REALLY make any difference? I have been trying to tweak out at much speed as I can, i have a full duplex Linksys card, but I am not going to risk screwing with it, if it doesnt matter that much, so what is your experience those who have done it?

Second, I have two computers connected to a netgear switch and into the modem. Can I get to the modem through the modem? Or do I need to disconnect everything and run straight from the NIC to the modem?

Third, I am using the router to establish the link to the PPPoE service provider, so I dont have the PPPoE software installed as the router negotiates the connection, and the software was bloated and I got rid of it; so do I have to reload all of the software and have an internet connection to do the direct telnet to the modem (perhaps stupid question, but lets get them all out here shall we?)

Fourth, if I disconnect everything, hook directly to the modem from the NIC, change the TCP/IP settings, telnet to the modem, are the settings I change (the duplex) in memory or will they be destroyed by turning off the juice (electric) to the modem?

I think that is about it...by the by, my modem has been rock solid, no probs. I just want to tweak if I can.

Thanks in advance...

Bruce

p_ld
@mix1.Bloomington.cw.

p_ld

Anon

Hi
I have not been as lucky as some of you are. I tried getting flashcom to come and install dsl, and they tried covad and northpoint to come do the installation, and it did not work. All I got from them are 2 modems (3 COM SDSL) and Efficient Speedstream 5260 modems at no charge. One of them even installed the network jack into my wall. Apparently the problem is with the phone company or something like that.

Anyway, my question to you is this: Can I use any of those modems to get any kind of dsl service? They even gave me the IP addresses but I don't think they work. Any help you can provide me will be appreciated. Remember, I have been unable to get DSL from anyone.

Thank you. SOrry for sounding like a dummy.
Kash
p_ld@hotmail.com

jman642
join:2000-01-25
Jenison, MI

jman642 to Anon

to Anon
said by phaethon:
First, does changing the 5260 from half to full duplex REALLY make any difference? I have been trying to tweak out at much speed as I can, i have a full duplex Linksys card, but I am not going to risk screwing with it, if it doesnt matter that much, so what is your experience those who have done it?
Specifically, I have no idea if it truly and actually helps by setting it to full duplex. Mostly because I have, nor have I read of anyone, doing any specific tests on this. In theory it will help.
said by phaethon:
Second, I have two computers connected to a netgear switch and into the modem. Can I get to the modem through the modem? ( you mean switch, I'm sure ) Or do I need to disconnect everything and run straight from the NIC to the modem?
You do not need to disconnect the switch to telnet to the 5260... more info in the next answer...
said by phaethon:
Third, I am using the router to establish the link to the PPPoE service provider, so I don't have the PPPoE software installed as the router negotiates the connection, and the software was bloated and I got rid of it; so do I have to reload all of the software and have an internet connection to do the direct telnet to the modem (perhaps stupid question, but lets get them all out here shall we?)
You've got a bit of a mix of stuff here, but lets see... You do not and should not have the PPPoE software on any of your computers connected to the router... the router will take care of that for you. The problem is that once you put a router in between a computer and the 5260, you lose the ability to telnet to the 5260. I have not figured out any way to get around this and my requests for help on this issue have gone unanswered.
said by phaethon:
Fourth, if I disconnect everything, hook directly to the modem from the NIC, change the TCP/IP settings, telnet to the modem, are the settings I change (the duplex) in memory or will they be destroyed by turning off the juice (electric) to the modem?
The 5260 will remember all changes until they have been changed. Turning the power on and off will not change them... if fact, there is no known way to reset this modem back to factory defaults. I have spoken with many who have pulled this thing apart to no avail. That is why you must never turn on Bridge Filtering, 'cuz once its on, then you can never get in to turn it off or to reset it.
System

Anon

Cool, thank you for responding!

OK, you answered most of my questions, the only one I still have is...assuming that I bypass the router, and, by going through the switch (you were correct on your correction, sorry), telnet to the modem, may I do so without connection to the internet or any of the software stuff on?

You also mentioned later removing the TCP/IP protocol from the network properties attached to the NIC, should I do this given my set up? If I want to communicate over my LAN, will I be able to without the TCP/IP function? And may the router still work without the TCP/IP function?

Thanks in advance!!!

Bruce