how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MLGTWISTED

join:2007-01-19
Melville, NY

1 edit

Your connection shows signs of ISP upload compression???

Warning: Your connection shows signs of ISP upload compression. I just took one of the tests on this site and on a couple of tests it said this, what should I do? I have noticed upload clipping on optimum online and I also use the boost service.

Should this be happening? The reason I'm paying for boost is because of the upload speed.

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
kudos:3
Cable Modems do not use compression so whatever is used to check for compression most likely gives false positives.

To prove this it should be pretty simple to test. Send a jpg or another file that is already compressed, then send a txt file to the same server. Do this several times and see if there is a significant difference in speeds.
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

MLGTWISTED

Melville, NY
I 5 of the tests on this website that had links to speakeasy and other tests. It was kept on this bewsite and not the normal home pages to the speakeasy speed test page.

It never came up all the time, but 2 out of 5 tests said about upload compression.

So modems don't use bandidth compression but does OOL for it's boost service?

Insider101

join:2006-09-19
Brooklyn, NY
reply to MLGTWISTED
There are no contracts with the Boost service. Its 100% optional whether you want to keep it or not.

GeekNJ
Premium
join:2000-09-23
Waldwick, NJ
reply to MLGTWISTED
Ignore it. I'd wish they would remove it as it's just not accurate. I get the same message on some tests and not others and I'm on FIOS.

dbmaven
There's no shortage
Premium,Mod
join:1999-10-26
Sty in Sky

1 recommendation

reply to MLGTWISTED
justin See Profile comments in this current thread:
»Get warning message during speed test???

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
Thanks, I was speculating that was how it worked.

What that means, is if your connection is not showing a steady speed, you will get a false reading of compression if the file of blanks goes through during one of the faster periods.
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

MLGTWISTED

Melville, NY
Thanks for the info.