Search similar:

uniqs

swoneill
Rmdashrfroot
join:2000-12-12
San Antonio, TX

swoneill

[TWC] Need to expand my RR broadband access here at home

I have RR service works fine. On my property I have a main house and then a "pool" house of sorts. Cable/Power/Alarm all come from the main house to the pool house via a buried PVC pipe.

So now that I have RR broadband, I've been having issues getting it working in the pool house.

- Don't have a strong enough WAP to push signal between the two building and don't want to start wiring and mounting antenna either.

- I bought the Linksys Ethernet over Powerline modules and it does generally work fine. I thought this was going to be it. Unfortunately, there are times with the Linksys modules just lock up. I've walked around the house and pool house and didn't notice anything that was on that could cause so much interference over the power lines in the house to lock up the Linksys EthPower modules.

So my wife is HAMMERING me to call TWC and see what they can do.

Can you have two cable modems on one cable circuit from TWC ? I have TWC VOIP as well.

If anyone has any other thoughts, I'll take'em !!!

Thanks for your time.

dbmaven
There's no shortage
Mod
join:1999-10-26
Sty in Sky

1 edit

dbmaven

Mod

Before getting into anything else, a question:
when the cables were run through the PVC pipe, was a "blank run" of wire or even string put in to facilitate additional "pulls" in the future ? And what's the distance of the runs through the PVC?

Rombus
Premium Member
join:2007-04-11
Opelika, AL

Rombus to swoneill

Premium Member

to swoneill
How far away is the pool house?

Yes you can have 2 cable modems off one line, but you will pay for it :/ if the pool house isen't used much, it may be a waste of money.

Have you thought about running a CAT5 cable in the conduit along with the rest of the cables running to the pool house?
kshymkiw
join:2004-12-21
Columbus, OH

kshymkiw

said by Rombus:

Yes you can have 2 cable modems off one line, but you will pay for it :/ if the pool house isen't used much, it may be a waste of money.

Have you thought about running a CAT5 cable in the conduit along with the rest of the cables running to the pool house?
Exactly what i wana know.

How far of a distance are we talking here? You may be able to buy a Wireless Booster.

CJ30
join:2000-07-18
USA

CJ30 to swoneill

to swoneill
Along with the distance question, I would also like to know if the PVC is easily accessible. Meaning, can you get to both ends easily and is it a straight run or does it run like a mouse maze?

The reason I ask is that I have ran line through PVC quite easily. If the distance isn't too great you can get a fish tape and run it through if it is a fairly straight run or you can use air to push fishing line through to use as a fish.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to swoneill

Premium Member

to swoneill
You say "alarm" ... is there phone wiring in there?
rompus
join:2006-09-18
Lawrenceburg, KY

rompus to swoneill

to swoneill
You might try this.

With this software, you can boost your wireless signal for free, if you have the appropriate router.

»lifehacker.com/software/ ··· 8132.php

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

4 edits

djrobx

Premium Member

If you go the "boosted" wifi route, you might want to get TWO "boostable" routers, and configure the one in the pool house for client mode (you then treat it like a data jack, go ethernet from there). Boosting signal strength isn't very effective if the client can only respond at regular power!

I've used that technique to get internet access out to a warehouse in an office building across a parking lot. It's worked highly reliably for over a year. No external antennas were needed.

swoneill
Rmdashrfroot
San Antonio, TX

swoneill to dbmaven

to dbmaven
No clue. I bought the house recently. The folks I bought it from are attorneys - very nice not very technical.
swoneill

swoneill to Rombus

to Rombus
said by Rombus:

Well, the PVC is buried underground. Maybe but it would take some effort to string the necessary cabling in both buildings.

I do work from home a great deal when I'm not traveling.
swoneill

swoneill to rompus

to rompus
said by rompus:

You might try this.

With this software, you can boost your wireless signal for free, if you have the appropriate router.

»lifehacker.com/software/ ··· 8132.php
Neat !!! bummer my router isn't on the list
swoneill

swoneill

k - well, tried the Coaxsys TVNET/C bridges. In a test setup, they work great !! They don't work (as the document says they won't) when an amplifier is put between the units. I painfully discovered that my demark is basically a Electroline drop gain amplifier (no clue what drop gain means but that's what is it apparently). So no joy !! Goto go wireless as I'm not pulling more cable.

MacLeech
The one and only
Premium Member
join:2001-07-14
SoCal

2 edits

MacLeech

Premium Member

If the amp is at the DEMARK, then why can't you install BOTH TVNET/C bridges AFTER the amp?

cable from outside
|
|
demark/amp
|
TVNET egress filter
|
splitter to each room
|
|
modem
|
TVNET/C_bridge#1 in main house
|
|
TVNET/C_bridge#2 in pool house
|
computer in pool house

Unless there is an amp on the line going to the pool house, it shouldn't be a problem. Even if there is an amp, you could drop in a splitter, run 1 line to the TVNET unit and the other line to the amp.

swoneill
Rmdashrfroot
San Antonio, TX

swoneill

Hey MacLeech,

Thanks for the reply. The issue with the AMP is the AMP and room splitter are the same thing. So I can insert the TVNET/C device between them.

In the end, I sent back the TVNET/C devices and put a Wireless Bridge in place. I had to pull my Mac Book Pro out with iStumbler to find where the wireless signal got through the Stucco on my house. Put the wireless bridge there. Then used LinkSys Ethernet-Over-Power modules so connect the bridge to my Cisco Switch. Works great ... finally