how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

SunnyFL
Premium
join:2001-02-08

Does Acetone really work in Gas?

I read this and other websites claiming that Acetone really increases gas millage in the car. What do you tech out there really think. Does it really pose a danger to your cars plastic or rubber seals or does very small amounts really improve your mileage? I have spoken to mechanics about this they are not sure.

Take a look at this website that makes this claim there are also a few others if you google it.

»www.pureenergysystems.com/news/2···Acetone/

This website also:

»www.wisebread.com/can-acetone-dr···-mileage

CatSnak
RIP Splashy - We miss you
Premium
join:2001-05-06
Lakeside, CA
I have a simple rule of thumb: If it wasn't designed for use in my auto I don't put it in there.

Splitpair
Premium
join:2000-07-29
Cow Towne
kudos:3
reply to SunnyFL
said by SunnyFL:

I read this and other websites claiming that Acetone really increases gas millage in the car. What do you tech out there really think.
No idea if it increases mileage but I'm willing to bet it breaks loose all kinds of crap stuck in an older fuel system. Ought to real fun when that poop hit the injectors.

Wayne
--
If you cannot fix it with a buttset and some beanies you ain't a technician.

Stiofan

join:2000-08-21
Post Falls, ID
reply to SunnyFL
Do a search on acetone here, there have been many threads on it. And the answer is no.

SunnyFL
Premium
reply to Splitpair
Thanks for your input Wayne. Glad to see your still around

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2
reply to SunnyFL
No.

Greg_Z
Premium
join:2001-08-08
Springfield, IL
reply to SunnyFL
Check out the Mythbusters episode about Gas saving.

SunnyFL
Premium
How do I do that?

Greg_Z
Premium
Springfield, IL
Usually Saturday afternoons, or Sundays they repeat the episodes on TV. This is the episode that you are looking for

Episode 53: Exploding Pants
Tory, Kari and Grant investigate one truly dangerous fashion disaster: spontaneous trouser combustion. It's a problem far too prevalent among farmers. The MythBusters call in the help of the FBI to investigate this trouser tall tale. Meanwhile, Adam and Jamie try to save viewers some hard-earned cash in the Great Gas Conspiracy. When the motor car was born, the great gas conspiracy was the afterbirth. According to conspiracy theorists, gas companies and car manufacturers deliberately make cars so that they guzzle fuel. Then, behind closed doors, the two groups share the profits.
--
I threw out the map a long time ago. Now I follow my own direction!

SunnyFL
Premium

1 edit
Can you tell me what the end result was?

Greg_Z
Premium
Springfield, IL
Watch the show, I do not like to blow suprises.

SunnyFL
Premium
What if I don't have that channel or the time to watch it?

Greg_Z
Premium
Springfield, IL
Then rent the DVD set, due to you will become adicted to MB.

drjim
Premium,MVM
join:2000-06-13
Long Beach, CA
reply to SunnyFL
IIRC, it will raise the octane rating a bit, but increase mileage? NO
--
One man's Magic is another man's Engineering.

MadDog3057
Ex Astris, Scientia
Premium
join:2002-02-26
Miami, FL
reply to SunnyFL

Stiofan

join:2000-08-21
Post Falls, ID
reply to SunnyFL
said by SunnyFL:

Can you tell me what the end result was?
Dude, I've already pointed out all you need to do is a search here. There are plenty of threads on it.

Sly
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Chuckey, TN
kudos:1
reply to SunnyFL

dbennett1106

join:2000-05-28
Ukiah, CA
reply to SunnyFL
I am a mod at a diesel site and we get this question a lot. The answer is still NO. No one has shown it to add mileage to your car or truck. Stick with gas.

NY Tel
Premium
join:2004-04-09
Smithtown, NY
reply to SunnyFL
No but you can blow yourself to smithereens if you mishandle it.
The fumes are very heavy and volatile. Don't mess with it.
The only mildly safe use for it is as nail polish remover in a well ventilated area.

Telly Boot
Premium
join:2002-05-15
Vancouver, BC
reply to SunnyFL
I have seen it used in a detail shop to do a final clean of auto glass, as it will remove any deposit. However it is explosive, and if you splash a few drops on the paintwork, you need a paint job ( ...I've seen this also).
--
Dawn,n,The time when men of reason go to bed. (Ambrose Bierce.)

Michieru2
zzz zzz zzz
Premium
join:2005-01-28
Miami, FL
reply to SunnyFL
Acetone will damage rubber seals as it will burn through almost anything plastic from experience.

It could be the person who wrote this never had his fuel injectors cleaned and he was getting low gas mileage because of it due to cheap gas with the minimum amount of detergents.

So when he put in Acetone it cleaned out the entire fuel system and it's injectors giving him the impression the Acetone gives him better gas mileage when it's only as simple as keeping your car running at optimal conditions.

Here is a interesting read by Shell:

»www.shell.com/home/Framework?sit···4_0.html
--
Duct tape, saving lives since 1942.

unsub

join:2000-06-21
Newton Upper Falls, MA
reply to SunnyFL
Even without reading something like this, wouldn't logic tell you that this is false?

I mean. Getting from one point to another with the least amount of cost/energy is a holy grail of humanity.

Billions of dollars have been spent researching how to make the automobile more efficient.

Would it make sense that the answer would be something so simple?

koolman2
Premium
join:2002-10-01
Anchorage, AK

1 edit
reply to SunnyFL
I really want to test this. Fill up, drive 40 miles out of town and back in a few times, then fill up again and do it again a few times, average the MPG, then start with acetone added and do it all again. The only problem is that my van gets an average of 19 MPG at 65 MPH, so it would cost me upwards of $300 to do, assuming I fill up five or six times.

I've read both sides of the argument and have even tried using acetone in my vehicles. While it seemed to improve mileage, the result wasn't significant enough to consider a success.
--
There's no place like ::1.

snorpus

join:2000-10-02
Export, PA
Even if it did, would it be worth it?

I'm just guessing, but I bet that acetone costs more per gallon than gasoline.

And if it worked, wouldn't the big fleets already be using it? Or the little neighborhood gas station, looking for an edge on his big competitors, already be mixing its gas with a little acetone?

Think of the risks: (1) You could do some serious $$$ damage to your engine; (2) isn't acetone one of the chemicals used in drug processing? You might get yourself some unwanted attention by buying, say, 10 gallons of the stuff.

Best advice: slow down 5mph and save more than all the "magical" solutions put together.

Splitpair
Premium
join:2000-07-29
Cow Towne
said by snorpus:

I'm just guessing, but I bet that acetone costs more per gallon than gasoline.
At the Big Box it's $12 a gallon down on nautical alley probably $9.

Wayne
--
If you cannot fix it with a buttset and some beanies you ain't a technician.

NY Tel
Premium
Smithtown, NY
Anyone who does this is just plain stupid. I can't continue to read these posts and understand how someone wants to put a highly flammable, volatile solvent into their gas tank.

The Darwin awards for 2007 have still not yet been given out but I think we have some nominees for 1st place.

koolman2
Premium
join:2002-10-01
Anchorage, AK

1 edit
reply to snorpus
The mixture is a maximum 3:1280, or roughly 0.25%. Try doing this mixture with water and see what happens when you put it on some paint: probably nothing.

If I add 6 ounces to my vehicle with a 27 gallon tank (at $9/gallon of acetone that works to 42¢) and get a modest increase of 10% in mileage (I get 17 MPG at the moment, so that would mean I would now get 18.7), I would be saving $8.10 at the pump, for a total of $7.64 in savings for every 27 gallons used at $3.00/gallon of gasoline. That's equivalent to paying $2.71/gallon.
--
There's no place like ::1.

boogi man

join:2001-11-13
Jacksonville, FL
kudos:1
reply to NY Tel
gasoline is just that a highly volatile solvent

NY Tel
Premium
Smithtown, NY
said by boogi man:

gasoline is just that a highly volatile solvent
You got that right.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
reply to SunnyFL
Send this myth to Mythbusters, maybe they will do it on the air.
--
»www.ryanoneill.us