computerman2
Premium Member
join:2002-04-20
Trenton, MI

computerman2

Premium Member

[Help] Printer Software scanner error

Hi

Been working on this all day..any suggestions on fixing, already did uninstall/reinstall, registry clean, talked to HP support got nowhere, heading towards format if can't fix, really want HP advanced scanning working

here is error i get

hpqscnvw has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

any help appreciated

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Numquam oblita
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone

1 edit

lilhurricane

Numquam oblita

What is the model of the scanner?

edit:..and what is your OS & specs? More info please
computerman2
Premium Member
Trenton, MI

computerman2

Premium Member

HP Deskjet F380 All In one

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Numquam oblita
Purple Zone

lilhurricane

Numquam oblita

What operating system?
computerman2
Premium Member
Trenton, MI

1 edit

computerman2

Premium Member

Windows XP Home Service Pack 2, Internet Explorer 7.0 installed, errors with printer software been for a while, just decided to attempt fixing today

or would it be easier to just reformat?

auggy
Mod
join:2001-12-24
Brockville, ON

1 recommendation

auggy to computerman2

Mod

to computerman2
said by computerman2:

here is error i get

hpqscnvw has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

If you "click here" on the error "to see what data this error report contains" what info is there?

This info may also be logged in the Event Viewer.
computerman2
Premium Member
Trenton, MI

1 edit

computerman2

Premium Member

Faulting application hpqscnvw.exe, version 3.2.0.1033, faulting module hpqscnvw.exe, version 3.2.0.1033, fault address 0x000111ca.

Does that help more?

not sure if this event viewer item deals with it or not.

Detection of product '{C6812939-B117-48E6-A3BA-1709C14A3C8C}', feature 'Scan' failed during request for component '{ED62C5B1-1D02-42E3-9671-266AE4329209}'

auggy
Mod
Brockville, ON

auggy

Mod

The problem appears to be with the hpqscnvw.exe a component of the HP software itself.

Do you recall when the problem started?

Did the start of the problem coincide with any change to the system such as installing new software? Did it coinicide with installing IE 7?

Have you applied the following update for HP Director?:

»h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf ··· 002_USEN

computerman2
Premium Member
Trenton, MI

2 edits

computerman2

Premium Member

Mine uses HP Solution center, i had all the updates installed before, HP Update before was saying no updates available before, problem started like a week ago, first asking for Scan.msi when i booted up, or when installed other programs or removed them,

The HP Solution Center software, which replaced HP Director software, does not exhibit this issue with Internet Explorer 7(taken from HP's site that part) mine uses the HP Solution center--control center

IE 7 been installed since it was released, printer software 2 weeks after that when i got printer as a gift from real life friend--new in box.

Did try out Windows Live Care for one day, but it seemed to slow machine down so uninstalled it, and then cleaned registry--don't think that had anything to do with problem

auggy
Mod
Brockville, ON

1 edit

1 recommendation

auggy to computerman2

Mod

to computerman2
said by computerman2:

not sure if this event viewer item deals with it or not.

Detection of product '{C6812939-B117-48E6-A3BA-1709C14A3C8C}', feature 'Scan' failed during request for component '{ED62C5B1-1D02-42E3-9671-266AE4329209}'
Yes, that is probably related.

Is the "Event Source" for that event "MsiInstaller"?

That may indicate there is definite problem with the driver/software installation - somehow the installation has been damaged.

I would suggest to disconnect the printer, uninstall the software again but after the uninstall download and run the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and remove any Windows Installer configuration for the relevant HP software:

»support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Then try the reinstall again and connect the printer at the applicable point during installation.

As the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility will make changes to the registry I would suggest to create a System Restore Point beforehand.
computerman2
Premium Member
Trenton, MI

computerman2

Premium Member

Kk will give that a shot later on this evening..taking a little break from working with printer, getting rid of headache, worked on this from 10A.m.-8:30P.M., friend wanted a ton of documents scanned only reason discovered this

AB57
Premium Member
join:2006-04-04
equatorial

AB57

Premium Member

Two things I know about HP printer/scanners (mine anyway)-- first, the software can be very persnickety to install. I've had instances where it took several tries to get it installed properly.
Secondly, with my HP AIO, there's a .tmp file in the scanner folder that's an integral part of the scanning process. Trash that file (like e.g. with CCleaner) and the scanner no longer works-- an error about not being able to find 'hpqgends.tmp'.

Neither of these may have a single thing to do with your particular problem, but a 'heads-up' nevertheless.
Good luck.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna

Premium Member

said by AB57:

Two things I know about HP printer/scanners (mine anyway)-- first, the software can be very persnickety....
That's an understatement. I've had problems with HP AIO software too. ugh....

The printer/scanner is great, the software, blech.
computerman2
Premium Member
Trenton, MI

computerman2

Premium Member

gonna get started on the uninstall, windows installer cleanup, reinstall, and hopefully this is last time i'll have to do that and it works fine after that
computerman2

1 edit

computerman2

Premium Member

Well using Windows installer cleanup, then reinstalling did not fix the problem, after this reinstall error remains? any other ideas besides a complete clean install of XP, all updates, all drivers, and everything

May try one more time before i think of clean install

Freddy
Premium Member
join:2005-05-17
Arlington, VA

Freddy

Premium Member

computerman2,

Try this Microsoft resource for possible leads:

»www.microsoft.com/techne ··· sic.aspx

You never know.

Freddy

AB57
Premium Member
equatorial

AB57 to computerman2

Premium Member

to computerman2
Do you have an .msi installer for your model series in the Program Files/HP/Digital Imaging/Product folder of your computer?
If not, copy it over from the CD (or whatever installaton files you're using).
computerman2
Premium Member
Trenton, MI

1 edit

computerman2

Premium Member

So far today tried the uninstall utility on the CD, msi installer cleanup, registry cleaner(CCC cleaner), Regseeker, rebooted in safe mode, deleted all the HP directories i could find. and still error happens, so getting basically no where with this. Nearing the point where i'm about to say nevermind trying to fix and format totally.

antivirus been disabled whole time, no software firewall, even disabled WIndows defender. Still nothing

AB57
Premium Member
equatorial

AB57

Premium Member

said by computerman2:

So far today tried the uninstall utility on the CD, msi installer cleanup, registry cleaner(CCC cleaner), Regseeker, rebooted in safe mode, deleted all the HP directories i could find. and still error happens, so getting basically no where with this. Nearing the point where i'm about to say nevermind trying to fix and format totally.

antivirus been disabled whole time, no software firewall, even disabled WIndows defender. Still nothing
Sorry to hear that.
I don't think re-formatting your drive & OS is necessarily going to fix it either, but who knows.

Do you have that .msi installer for your series model in the program's 'Product' folder?
You didn't say.
computerman2
Premium Member
Trenton, MI

computerman2

Premium Member

Well didn't see one, unless it's compressed, i looked all around the folder, and the CD. i don't get it, it was working fine 3 weeks ago, sure i had friend stayed with me over 2 weeks of the last 3 week, and she kept changing antivirues on the PC, since she didn't like avast, for a while she had in at&t yahoo online protection, then Comodo firewall, then Windows Live onecare, then back to avast. So maybe a reformat will help, but i'm also not sure if it will or not

AB57
Premium Member
equatorial

1 recommendation

AB57

Premium Member

Here's a list of troubleshooting guides for my series (1200):
»h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf ··· &lang=en

And possibly you need this update:

Here's what I was referring to earlier:

These have to do with the 1200 series, but probably translate to yours, as well.
computerman2
Premium Member
Trenton, MI

1 recommendation

computerman2

Premium Member

Problem solved--after calling HP tech support, was just a registry error, removing all HP items from registry, running the uninstall program starting with level 1,2,3 after add/remove programs removal, then reinstalled software, and scanner is now working..Gotta see if it didn't mess up HP DVD-burner still yet, but printer is working fine now, Supervisior monitored the call, and so far i am satisifed in the service, thankfully didn't have to reformat

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Numquam oblita
Purple Zone

lilhurricane

Numquam oblita

Thank you for the followup!

I'm sure that will help someone else that may have the same issues.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to computerman2

Premium Member

to computerman2
said by computerman2:

Problem solved--after calling HP tech support, was just a registry error, removing all HP items from registry, running the uninstall program starting with level 1,2,3 after add/remove programs removal, then reinstalled software, and scanner is now working..Gotta see if it didn't mess up HP DVD-burner still yet, but printer is working fine now, Supervisior monitored the call, and so far i am satisifed in the service, thankfully didn't have to reformat
YAY!! Good news!
computerman2
Premium Member
Trenton, MI

computerman2

Premium Member

Everything works right now--scanner, copying, printing, HP DVD-burner, and webcam, i tested them all, printer i had scanning, dvd burner, burning a CD, and then when done with that..tested cam to make sure that still worked fine, all is well now, and very relieved after all the frustration

AB57
Premium Member
equatorial

AB57

Premium Member

said by computerman2:

Everything works right now . . . .
Run a bunch of Registry cleaners. That should fix that issue.