how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

polk5

join:2001-12-29
New Orleans, LA

Meraki problems

I know a couple wisp here bought some merakis. Just a heads up if your having problems this weekend. It drove me half nuts trying to figure it out. »forums.meraki.net/viewtopic.php?···&start=0

hectoriux

join:2001-12-09
said by polk5:

I know a couple wisp here bought some merakis. Just a heads up if your having problems this weekend. It drove me half nuts trying to figure it out. »forums.meraki.net/viewtopic.php?···&start=0
Hi chief polk5, seems you miss one of my post:

»Mesh Management

You need to know that NOBODY talks about weakness when companies advertising their own wifi products, the END USERS CAN ONLY KNOW WHEN THEY PURCHASE AND DO THEY OWN TEST's.

The Meraki Company have build an excellent project BUT with ALL THE RESPECT THEY DESERVE: The project are in DIAPERS for use in a WISP PRODUCTION ENVIRONMENT, because don't fit OUR BASIC FUNCTIONS that we need in OUR OWN WISP ENVIRONMENT.

You are not the only one that have discover black holes in the system.

I'm going to recommend you to wait and NOT PURCHASE AND DEPLOY MINIS until they Project reach the MATURE LEVEL. Because you are gonna drown in a lot of pain when you discover problems in your network, and believe me, that problems are going to be OUT of your hands, because their OEM firmware have a lot black holes ( less/no features you need for your WISP ).

Some of BLACK HOLES:

1: You CAN'T disconnect users ( MAC CONTROL DON'T WORK, some kid can change the MAC ) They are supposing to fix this, but until they finish your NETWORK IS OPEN.
2: You CAN'T control any end user.
3: If you have 1 gateway and 3 minis WITH or WITHOUT WEP, IF I BUY MY OWN MINI and I just TURN ON my mini, MY MINI ARE GOING TO CONNECT TO THE ANY OF YOUR NEARBY MINIS ( I EVEN DON'T NEED TO PUT ANY SSID IN MY MINI, e-mail, WEP KEY, NOTHING, JUST MY MINI ARE GOING TO CONNECT ON ANY OF YOUR MINIS WITHOUT YOUR CONTENTMENT ) and what happen with this? Well you don't gonna see in your DASHBOARD my OWN MINI SUCKING ALL YOUR BANDWIDTH!!!

Please to AVOID ANY FIASCO out there FIRST TEST AND TEST, THEN TEST AGAIN AND TEST AGAIN UNTIL YOUR PROJECT FIT YOUR NEEDS.

Regards
-hectoriux

DSLbyAir
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-10
Ocean Springs, MS
reply to polk5
Joe, does the Dashboard work with any other type of radio, i.e. Deliberant?

»www.dslbyair.com
--
If you can't fit, force it, and if it breaks, it needed replaced anyway!

polk5

New Orleans, LA
reply to hectoriux
I bought these things strictly to play with. Not to deploy. I knew they were in beta but the communications between meraki and beta testers are a nightmare. Someone started a thread Saturday I think and I finally called their office today and raised hell cause meraki has not even posted in the thread. 30min later someone from meraki did post. The problem is still not fixed. I DO NOT like the fact that they just throw a upgrades out there and all the meraki's grab it. This stuff needs to be beta tested before being crammed in thousands of radios. Joe, You can only use the dashboard with merakis as far as I know.

polk5

New Orleans, LA
reply to hectoriux
Yes sir, Thank you very much for posting the problem. Thats what confirmed the problem was on their end. Joe

Diddy11

join:2003-07-19
Sidney, NE
reply to polk5
said by polk5:

I DO NOT like the fact that they just throw a upgrades out there and all the meraki's grab it. This stuff needs to be beta tested before being crammed in thousands of radios.
Is this becoming the trend in "retail" gear? I've heard this before where devices will automatically go out and get updates. I firmly think this is a bad idea as we all no, firmware always has bugs. Just curious.
Aaron

Mike_27
Premium
join:2004-05-15
Gardiner, MT
here's the solution to your woes:
»meraki.net/linux

and now the can of worms question ...

if a guy builds his own software for this device using the manufacturer's toolchain and patches, does the device retain its fcc certification?

Mike

gunther_01
Premium
join:2004-03-29
Saybrook, IL
it's no longer a meraki at that point. I would think no

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium,VIP
join:2001-08-20
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:9
reply to hectoriux
Clearly the product is still a bit "beta". That said, they're rolling out new features every week, and I've seen real improvements ongoing.

An upcoming revision will include tiered access levels and WPA. Obviously, the product today is at a hobbyist level - great for sharing with some neighbors. For a service provider, it needs a lot more security and features.

That said, it's looking great so far!

-Dane

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
reply to gunther_01
said by gunther_01:

The same thing could be said for Linksys, Buffalo, etc. flashed with other third-party software.
--
A is A

Mike_27
Premium
join:2004-05-15
Gardiner, MT
i guess used the wrong word, i should have said extend.

for instance adding the ppp|pppoe kernel modules and pppd, leaving the radio section untouched.

Mike

polk5

New Orleans, LA
Meraki alert! LOL Looks like the whole system has been up/down for the last twelve hours. These merakis are nowhere near ready to deploy. But I guess we knew that already.

gunther_01
Premium
join:2004-03-29
Saybrook, IL
reply to John Galt
said by John Galt:

said by gunther_01:

The same thing could be said for Linksys, Buffalo, etc. flashed with other third-party software.
I would agree,, if it doesn't come from the manufacturer that way and you change it. I don't think it will retain it's FCC. If it's not stock it's not FCC'ed, at least that's my simple notion on the subject. Others with more experience can confirm.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
reply to polk5
said by polk5:

MerThese merakis are nowhere near ready to deploy. But I guess we knew that already.
But are you having fun?

--
A is A

polk5

New Orleans, LA
I am having fun because I knew better from the beginning that they were not suitable for wisp deployment. I have about eight of these things in the air and they are all free for use. Many people were actually charging for service through these and I bet they are not having fun.LOL I could never rely on someone elses backend system. It always seems to be the middle man that drops the ball. While I do use wireless orbits backend they seem to be very stable after researtching and if they go down all I have to do is x the radius and Ill be fine. With meraki, when they go down your dead. Im convinced these guys do not even monitor their system well. With thousands of nodes out there relying on the back end this is scary to say the least.

korym
Go Wisp's
ExMod 1999-03
join:1999-12-23
Richmond, VA
Yeah, they're definitely cool to work with but I also wouldn't consider them "production ready." If I were to deploy a WISP again, I wouldn't consider these units. A freenet, sure, why not? But even for that I think they're still a bit buggy right now. Hopefully they'll come through soon.
--
WISP Directory : WISP News : Start a WISP