Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to hurfy

Premium Member

to hurfy

Re: What does the 1500, 2500, etc of trucks really mean?

said by hurfy:

HEHE, hate to do this but what does 1/2 ton truck mean?
LOL

»www.tpmcafe.com/node/28972
quote:
Unfortunately, for pickup trucks with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) above 8500lbs, usually referred to as “3/4 ton” and “1 ton” pickups, CAFE still doesn't apply at all. It’s important to take note that the ½, ¾ and 1 ton nomenclature for pickup trucks hasn’t denoted actual load bearing capacity since the 1930s, although these designations stubbornly hold on to this day. The actual payload capacity of a ½ ton full size truck is more like 1300lbs to 2000lbs. When the NHTSA news release came out, everyone from NPR to Automotive News just went ahead and edited GVWR down to “gross weight” or just "weight." The truth is, as morbidly obese as American pickup trucks have become, the 8500lb category includes the payload of the vehicle along with the net or so called "curb" weight. No Virginia, there is no 8500lb pickup...yet.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

2500 would be some serious displacement. Usually displacement in in liters and 2500L would be huge ...
i think 2500L would be the displacement of a container ship's diesel engine(which the engine itself in some ships is the size of a small building and pistons weigh 2000lbs)