Search similar:

uniqs
galette
join:2004-11-25
Tampa, FL

galette

DVR - Noisy Fan

Good evening,

For the past couple days, my dvr has been making a lot of noise (fan).
It sounds like the box overheat or something.
Did anybody notice this problem ?

I never had an issue with my DVR with brighthouse.

Thank you
FatRalphy
join:2007-04-27
Southlake, TX

FatRalphy

i heard these boxes will get hot like that if they have stuff stacked on and around them. if there in a closed cabnet they will too. get an air duster and blow it out too they gather dust.
tiyuri
join:2001-06-06
Little Silver, NJ

tiyuri to galette

to galette
When I first had it installed mine did this. The installer didn't have another DVR on his truck and it functioned OK so I kept it. It calmed down on its own after a few days. It was also bad after the ice storm in February - we lost power for 12 hours or so - but it settled back after a day or so.
galette
join:2004-11-25
Tampa, FL

galette to FatRalphy

to FatRalphy
The DVR is with the DVD player on one shelf.
And my Audio/Video Receiver is located to the bottom shelf.
The back of my entertainment center is closed (just a circular hole for cables).
I will try to move the DVR and see if it cools down.

Thanks for your advice.

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

I have the same problem. Mine is in a cabinet below my TV covered by glass doors. Everytime I open the door I hear it running, kind of scary but so far no problems.
bamse
join:2006-09-18

bamse to galette

to galette
Mine are completely open and still really loud. It gets hard to sleep with them on.
JPL
Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

JPL to galette

Premium Member

to galette
I must have the quietest DVR around, then. I can't hear mine at all (the fan at least). It's nearly as quiet as my old DirecTV DVR. Then again, maybe it's because the noise gets drowned out by my kids tearing through the living room
TheOtherPete
join:2001-06-28
Boyds, MD

TheOtherPete to galette

to galette
Perhaps the fan automatically adjusts the speed with the temperature? My DVR fan was noisy at times when I first got it but ever since I added a fan to my home theatre the it has been quiet

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave

MVM

said by TheOtherPete:

Perhaps the fan automatically adjusts the speed with the temperature? My DVR fan was noisy at times when I first got it but ever since I added a fan to my home theatre the it has been quiet
The DVR's fan does have a temperature sensitive feature that will adjust the speed. One suggestion is to place some type of cushion under each of the DVR's rubber feet to assist with decoupling the DVR from the bottom surface. I have 1 of my test DVR's set on top of large bubble wrap - individual bubbles for each foot. It has really improved the noise factor for this DVR, and it seems to work fine. My other test DVR has always been very quiet. It probably has more to do with how each hard drive is mounted, HD tolerance differences, etc - more than any issue with the DVR's fan speed. The fan speed is an issue, but I have heard more complaints about the low-level vibration noises from these DVR's.

Thespis
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.
Premium Member
join:2004-08-03
Keller, TX

Thespis

Premium Member

Caps from soda bottles are also good to allow air flow...

mikef
@verizon.net

mikef

Anon

Yes, I had the exact same problem when spring arrived. The DVR would cycle between quiet and loud every 10 seconds, I guess as the temp sensor kicked the fan on/off. The DVR was in a case, but even with the door open and the back of the case removed it would still do it. I finally moved it out and have it standing vertically next to the case, and it's perfectly silent. I'll be trying the soda bottle cap trick though!

-Mike