uniqs
Expand your moderator at work
Hydroshock
join:2002-09-12
Colorado Springs, CO

Hydroshock to Whatever33

to Whatever33

Re: Notice of Claim of Copyright Infrigement letter

Well they can slap "copyrighted" on anything these days. The way the U.S. Copyright laws work, everything is copyrighted the moment it is written and doesn't need to be filed or anything. (including things as simple as emails). Problem is proving it was yours first without filing it.

On the other hand, they have to prove they suffered some sort of loss from what you did in some cases. So lutherberry said, prepare to write a big check or come up with some other compromise. Or whatever it is you downloaded, if you didn't upload anything, you could always try buying whatever it was they're trying to slap you with and scratch it up, play dumb and say you were trying to repair the disk with the new file. (I know it makes no sense to you, but to many not-so-tech-savy people it would )

also I don't take responsibility for my stupid farfetched idea.
DMS1
join:2005-04-06
Plano, TX

DMS1

said by Hydroshock:

Well they can slap "copyrighted" on anything these days. The way the U.S. Copyright laws work, everything is copyrighted the moment it is written and doesn't need to be filed or anything. (including things as simple as emails). Problem is proving it was yours first without filing it.
That's not just a function of US law - it's the fundamental principle by which copyright works. Essentially, anything you create belongs to you and others can't just steal it or misrepresent it as theirs. Copyright is however a relatively weak instrument since it only applies to tangible creations and not ideas or concepts (which is where patents come in).