All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
garbage_can
join:2007-06-01
North York, ON

garbage_can

How to configure wireless router with Primus DSL?

Hi,
I recently got the primus package (Tel+DSL). I am having problems configuring my Netgear wirless router to talk to the modem.

The pppoe option doesn't seem to work in my router. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

AS
smitty244
join:2005-05-15
Toronto

smitty244

We actually just signed up for that too... and cancelled the Internet part a few days later. We had no problems with the DSL connecting until we switched to Primus, and when it switched over to them we suddenly couldn't connect via PPPoE anymore - the DSL stayed sync'd, but there was no internet response (a constant 'Can't connect to PPPoE server' error). As a note, the Speedtouch modem they sent us was configured to work in Bridge mode only, meaning the PPPoE info had to be entered on the computer or router. When we called Primus they couldn't help, so we switched back to our previous provider instead. Good luck!

Deep Dish
join:2006-08-17
Canada

Deep Dish

I have no issues with my Primus connection, but I am not using a Linksys / D-Link / etc router. It's a computer running OpenBSD with pf.
garbage_can
North York, ON

garbage_can to smitty244

to smitty244
Smitty:

Are you saying that the router won't work with Primus DSL?
smitty244
join:2005-05-15
Toronto

smitty244

There shouldn't really be any reason it shouldn't work - I meant to say that the Speedtouch modem they supply is only for bridge mode - if your router can do PPPoE then it SHOULD work without any issues, just connect the WAN port of the router to the ethernet port on the modem - I was just mentioning that in my case, something went wrong on Primus's end, and PPPoE died for us altogether so if you keep having PPPoE issues it might be a similar problem.
franch
join:1999-11-03
Canada

franch to garbage_can

to garbage_can
I've been using Primus with a router for a while now. You have to make sure you're using the right login ID since it's a bit weird. Mine is ****@1mm.primus.ca. It's important to have the 1mm in there (or whatever it is for you). It won't work if you just use @primus.ca.
Laidback
join:2001-09-30
Cochrane, ON

Laidback to garbage_can

to garbage_can
you still have a phone number with bell or did you cancel it.
Here's a link to a post I put up a while ago asking about VoIP and no bell phone.
»Question for Rocky

which Netgear modem did primus send you and what router are you using with it.
garbage_can
North York, ON

garbage_can

As I said in my 1st post, I am totally with Primus now (Tel+DSL+long distance) and am NOT using their VOIP service.

The modem I got from Primus is Speedtouch and the wireless router I have at home is Netgear WGR641.

AS
garbage_can

garbage_can to franch

to franch
I am using my login as abc.xyz@1mm.primus.ca but still can't get ppoe to work.
tommyv2
join:2007-06-03
London, ON

tommyv2

The Speedtouch modem should be in Bridge mode (and the web interception turned off!) and the router should do the PPPoE. Make sure the router is set to MTU size of 1492 as well...

I've seen this work a million times. Is your VCI set to 0.35 or whatever it's supposed to be?
garbage_can
North York, ON

garbage_can

I managed to get it working by upgrading the firmware on the advice of another poster.

The problem I am experiencing now is a dramatic increase in website looking up times. Many a times the I even fail to get a connection.

I am getting some relief though by disabling the router firewall but a more elegant solution will be appreciated.

AS

Deep Dish
join:2006-08-17
Canada

Deep Dish

Does this happen when you connect to Primus using your computer (the Windows XP one)??
garbage_can
North York, ON

garbage_can

Yes after boot up when I launch firefox, I takes a huge time looking up my.yahoo.com and initially fails most of the time. It after hiting the reload button a number of times that I am able to access the website.

AS

GDSComp
join:2004-08-30
London, ON

GDSComp

I tried the same with Primus. It didn't work, to make along story short. I had no internet most of the time and had the same problems you are having. They told me that they are quote " using new technology " . They canceled my service. Call the business office and stay away from their tek support, they are not trained as well as others..
garbage_can
North York, ON

garbage_can

GDSComp:

Were you also connecting through your own router or just it was a direction modem connection?

GDSComp
London, ON

GDSComp

I did both..and nothing worked. They are having technical problems. You are not alone....
garbage_can
North York, ON

garbage_can

To be honest, I never have any problems without the router. The connection is fine.
Laidback
Cochrane, ON

1 edit

Laidback to GDSComp

to GDSComp
said by GDSComp:

I did both..and nothing worked. They are having technical problems. You are not alone....
this is from when??

I tried the same with Primus. It didn't work, to make along story short. I had no internet most of the time and had the same problems you are having. They told me that they are quote " using new technology " . They canceled my service. Call the business office and stay away from their tek support, they are not trained as well as others..

Your post above indicates they cancelled your service but you do not say when? 5 years ago, they would have fixed the problem by now. 2 months ago, I would expect it being fixed by now. I'm in Woodstock and I have no issues with them period. From your comments, I thinking this is from last year? If not, I'll start eating crow right now.

GDSComp
London, ON

GDSComp

start eatin... it was two months ago for my daughter that was going to University. You might have no problems but I sat with dead DSL service for 2 months which was later reversed but no one really looked into it. All we did was play phone tag with different so-called tech.support agents until someone finally figured it out that it didn't work. It was pretty funny because I had another line in the house with TekSavvy. No problems there. The best of luck.. you might be OK but I know of people that it just doesn't work.. that's all I'm saying.
Laidback
Cochrane, ON

Laidback

Here I go. It's ironic your daughter had the university issue. My daughter is going to McMaster and we had a time trying to get her primus mail working there. We wound up getting a tech who was able to configure it for her. That was September of last year, and this year she is off campus so it should all work. I'll get her to take a picture of me eating crow.

GDSComp
London, ON

1 edit

GDSComp

If your still having problems with this ... I noticed your in Woodstock. I'm in London. Somehow we should get this resolved for you. The only thing your missing here is the tech part. ,..I am a tech but it'll cost you a coffee at Tim's. Let me know if things are the same and we will take it from there...we'll get you up and running. I'll stay tuned. There has to be a way or a setting around this.

Greg
garbage_can
North York, ON

garbage_can to tommyv2

to tommyv2
The VCI in my speedtouch modem is factory set to 8.35. Do I need to change it to 0.35 to get an improved connection?