share rss forum feed

Michail
Premium
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL
kudos:1

1 edit

[Vista] loses internet connection

This is a weird problem that started a few weeks ago. Occasionally, my Vista machine loses it's Internet connection. This happens for all browsers and applications. I'm still able to RDP and do files shares, so I can RDP to another machine on my home network and get on the Internet.

It seems random when it occurs. I've seen it happen in the middle of browsing so I know it's not a sleep issue.

The only fix I've found so far is to reboot. The firewall is not turned on.

satasi
2nd Little Angel
Premium,MVM
join:2001-07-04
San Antonio, TX

How do you know it's Vista and not your modem or router? SATASI
--
He who knows never speak..... He who speaks never knows.......

Michail
Premium
Boynton Beach, FL

1 edit

Good idea, I usually check the router when stuff like this happens but forgot in this case. I don't test the router as often now because the family gets upset when I mess with the network.

I think it may be happening when I have an RDP session open but it's hard to tell because of the randomness.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Michail

Crap. I mean, I'm glad you got it sort of worked out, but I was hoping there was some fix in Vista to overcome the problem. I'm having it too. I followed all of the threads here about Vista and connection problems, but nothing works.
--
And I can't tell if you're laughing. Between each smile there's a tear in your eye. There's a train leaving town in an hour. It's not waiting for you, and neither am I.
"Paper Wings" -Rise Against

Michail
Premium
Boynton Beach, FL

Interesting, how long have you been experiencing the issue? It has just been a recent issue for me. It also seems to happen more in the evening for whatever reason.

I've got a A7N8X-D mother board using the integrated 3com NIC. I may switch to the integrated nvidia NIC and see if that helps. My router is a WRT54GS using the DD-WRT firmware.

My Windows Update also seems to be stuck trying to update my HP printer drivers but the update always fails. That seems to have started around the same time.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable

Now that you posted some more information, I think the two cases may be unrelated.

My trouble started after installation. With or without router (D-Link DI-604, latest firmware), after power cycling the cable modem, in safe mode with networking,
with onboard NIC or PCI connected NIC (both Realtek 8139's), and after all updates.

My problem happens all the time. The connection would be slow, then gone, then slow, then gone, etc.
Speed tests fail to start or go to about 1/4 of my regular speed then slow down further.
The Tweak Test times out.
I heard it would clear up on it's own, but after 3 days I just disabled auto-tuning and raised the connection limit. No help.
--
And I can't tell if you're laughing. Between each smile there's a tear in your eye. There's a train leaving town in an hour. It's not waiting for you, and neither am I.
"Paper Wings" -Rise Against

Michail
Premium
Boynton Beach, FL

1 edit

Yea, sounds different. My connection is always fast. It just drops WAN connectivity in a snap and doesn't recover. It doesn't even happen enough to be a major issue yet. It could just be my router.

auggy
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-24
Brockville, ON
kudos:18

You can use the following tool from MS to run your router through some tests (requires installation of an ActiveX control):

»www.microsoft.com/windows/using/···ult.mspx

For instance, the router should support TCP High Performance to take advantage of Vista's auto-tuning feature.

Mountaineer1
Big WVU Fan
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-12
Universe
kudos:2
reply to Michail

I don't know if this will help,or not. »support.microsoft.com/kb/928233
--
I'm just a Material Handling Tech.If it's too heavy,get a Forklift.

Michail
Premium
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to Michail

OK, this is weird. It just happened again so I did a little investigating. DNS and pings were still working. I tried a restart of the modem, router and the NIC (Disable/Enable in the device manager).