uniqs
share rss forum feed

koam
Pink Pecker
Premium
join:2000-08-16
East Puddle

1 edit

Google Desktop - 5 GB + Disk space used?

How much disk space should you expect Google Desktop to use? Mine uses 5GB

gallowsroad

join:2004-08-09
Jenks, OK

Re: Google Desktop - Disk space used?

Depends upon the size of the index file. The more files you have the larger the indexing file will be.

Did you install Google Desktop only, or the Google Pack with other software?

koam
Pink Pecker
Premium
East Puddle
I think it's just Google Desktop. There's a huge 5 GB folder called D:\Google Desktop Data.

gallowsroad

Jenks, OK
I'm not using Google Desktop at the moment, but when I did, my index file was over 2GB in size. I had about 500GB worth of files at the time being indexed.

The program has since been updated, so it may behave differently, and I think it also tracks more types of files than it used to. That may partially account for the file size you are seeing.

koam
Pink Pecker
Premium
East Puddle

1 edit
My HD is only 40GB total (really 37 GB) and 5GB of the 37 is in Google Desktop Search.

gallowsroad

Jenks, OK
reply to koam
That's a very high percentage of your total drive spacew, IMO. Is there an index.dat file listed inside the folder?

Just for fun I'm going to install the latest version and see how large my file winds up being. I have two 500GB and two 750GB drives plus a 400GB drive on this box. Not all are full, but there is well over 1TB of data.

Let's see what happens.

(I'll post back).
--
Ha ha haaaaaaa....ever get the feeling you've been cheated?

- John Lydon, last Sex Pistols show

gallowsroad

Jenks, OK
reply to koam
Two questions:

1. Is D: your operating system boot drive?

2. Do you have a Gmail account, and if so, when you installed Desktop Search did you check the box to "Include my Gmail messages in search results?"

GD is indexing my machine right now. I'm curious to see how it pans out in relation to your original question.
--

koam
Pink Pecker
Premium
East Puddle
Reviews:
·Shoreham Telephone

1 edit
C: is my boot drive. I have XP Pro.

I have Gmail accounts. I believe that I included Gmail messages in search results. I also have Remove Deleted Items checked in Preferences.

Thanks.
--
OSCAR-NOMINATED "Jesus Camp" costars man-lovin' meth-head Rev. Ted Haggard
»www.jesuscampthemovie.com/

koam
Pink Pecker
Premium
East Puddle
Reviews:
·Shoreham Telephone
reply to koam
Anyone know if 5GB is reasonable for Google Desktop and whether I can manage the amount of space that it uses?
--

gallowsroad

Jenks, OK
said by koam:

Anyone know if 5GB is reasonable for Google Desktop and whether I can manage the amount of space that it uses?
Is the path for that folder exact?

I don't have a folder named "D:\Google Desktop Data" or C:, etc.

Closest I have is:

C:\Documents and Settings\Me\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Google Desktop

It's current size is 921MB. I have 2.9TB of storage and all of it has been indexed. I did *not* index my Gmail, but I did index all of my other mail that is stored locally on my machine.

Unless I'm missing the exact folder you are speaking of, I'm going to hazard a guess that having all of your Gmail indexed is accounting for the rather large size of that folder.

Are you running the latest version of the program? Have you considered uninstalling it, removing all associated folders, and doing a fresh install and see if the folder is still 5GB?
--

koam
Pink Pecker
Premium
East Puddle
Reviews:
·Shoreham Telephone
Hi. Yes the path is d:\Google Desktop Data

in it is one folder with an encrypted name and in that are several folders, and a litle over 30 files. Three files are the real culprits: "dbeam" 2GB, "rpm1m.cf1" 1GB, and "rpm.cf1" 1GB. All three of those large files were modified yesterday - so they're active.

I haven't dared to uninstall and reinstall GDS because it tracks history of web sites visited, etc....and I like what it has stored in its memory and don't want to give that up.

I believe I have the latest version, but don't know how to check that. I recently did re-download the Google Toolbar which included the new sidebar, and Google Desktop Sidebar is under Start, All Programs, Google Desktop, Goolgle Desktop Sidebar
--

gallowsroad

Jenks, OK
said by koam:

in it is one folder with an encrypted name and in that are several folders, and a litle over 30 files. Three files are the real culprits: "dbeam" 2GB, "rpm1m.cf1" 1GB, and "rpm.cf1" 1GB. All three of those large files were modified yesterday - so they're active.

I haven't dared to uninstall and reinstall GDS because it tracks history of web sites visited, etc....and I like what it has stored in its memory and don't want to give that up.
Those same files, in my directory, are these sizes:

dbeam: 126MB
rpm1m.cf1: 252MB
rpm.cf1: 252MB

As I stated I am not indexing my Gmail, so that probably accounts for some of the size differences, plus I did not have it index my web history. My honest guess is those two things, plus if you have a lot of locally stored email, may be inflating those file sizes. I'm not sure how the web history search works, as in how it stores that info and how much of it (entire web pages) is kept nor for how long.

I'll add in web history and Gmail and see if those files grow. It is likely they will over time as more email and web sites are indexed.

Not sure how to tell which version you are running, but if the program has access to the web, it will likely notify you when it is updated.

I'll post back and let you know if adding those items into my Google Desktop search preferences has a big impact on those file sizes.
--

gallowsroad

Jenks, OK
reply to koam

Re: Google Desktop - 5 GB + Disk space used?

So after adding these other options into the indexing mix, the total folder size has grown to 1.26GB. This includes a folder with a gobbledygook name plus the word "backup", which I assume is some sort of compressed back up of the index database itself.

I expect the longer I leave Google Desktop installed the larger the GD folder will become, especially if I leave it to index my Gmail and web history.

Note that in a day or so my folder grew by about 33%, so I am still guessing that web site history and your Gmail may be the reason why yours is 5GB.

I'm surprised no one else has chimed in.
--

koam
Pink Pecker
Premium
East Puddle
Reviews:
·Shoreham Telephone
Thanks for the learning. I have a few gmail accounts and I have several of my other email accounts forwarding to one of the gmail accounts (for ease of retrieval when I'm away and my email clients won't work with my school's ISP, for example) so that could be a lot of it. Also I've had GDS for a while so the web history could also be voluminous. I am loathe to lose that history.

I am also surprised that I'm not seeing others state the large amount of disk space used.
--