how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Glen T

join:2003-11-03
BC

1 edit

Will Telus Hosting support SMTP on Port 587 ?

When Telus first introduced port blocking, their official line was that other ISPs should be willing to make port 587 available as an alternative to port 25.

Well, now I find the shoe is on the other foot. Now that Shaw has started blocking port 25, I need our company domain e-mail account hosted by Telus Hosting to allow port 587 for SMTP. I tried port 587 but it is not currently available.

So far, Telus Hosting has not responded to my support request.

JammerMan79
Premium,VIP
join:2004-05-13
Prince George, BC
kudos:10
»help.telus.net/services/webcgi.e···017B947}

hese security measures include:

The blocking of the following ports to inbound traffic. This helps to secure your PC from virus and hacker activity, as well as spam.
TCP 21 (ftp)
TCP 25 (smtp)
TCP 80 (www)
TCP 110 (pop3)
TCP 6667 (ircd)
TCP/UDP 135-139 (dcom and netbios)
TCP/UDP 443 (ssl)
TCP/UDP 445 (ms-ds)
TCP/UDP 1433-1434 (ms-sql)

Limiting of ICMP traffic to prevent DoS (Denial of Service) attacks and other unnecessary network traffic. This reduces general network traffic and prevents service degradation and possible outages.

Blocking outbound traffic on port 25 (smtp), except to the outgoing TELUS e-mail server. This is to reduce the amount of spam created on our network which prevents service degradation and possible outages as well as to reduce the amount of spam you receive in your e-mail.
--
I may work for, but do not necessarily represent the views and beliefs of TELUS Communications.

Glen T

BC

1 edit
Hey, JammerMan79, I don't think you read my post (or I'm misreading yours). I am asking if Telus Hosting will open port 587 on a Telus hosted domain e-mail account so that I can access it from a Shaw location.

Post from TELUS Helper on the subject of allowing port 587:

»Telus Blocking SMTP - a work around (works for me)

JammerMan79
Premium,VIP
Prince George, BC
sorry... didn't fully understand your post. It sounded like you needed the information I posted. If it's not that, it's over my head.
--
I may work for, but do not necessarily represent the views and beliefs of TELUS Communications.

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
I use gmails pop server on port 995 I think it is. That seems to work ok for me. I was ticked off until i actually tried it, found out it worked. I much prefer using software to store and view my emails then a web browser.

Glen T

BC
reply to JammerMan79
ISPs block port 25 outgoing for all but 'resident' SMTP access. Port 587 has been proposed as an alternative. Most port 587 SMTP access requires authentication. You have to set your email client to check the POP server before sending. That requires a logon and password. To quote from Telus Helper's posting:

"ISP customers should use the standard Mail Submission Port, port 587, and ISPs should avoid blocking this port. We further recommend that SMTP authentication be implemented on the standard MailSubmission Port, port 587, and that ISPs encourage their customers to switch their mailclient software (for example, MS Outlook, Eudora, and so on) to this port. Using this port will provide seamless connectivity that does not depend on if a network allows port 25 traffic."
This is what I'm looking for from Telus Hosting.

JammerMan79
Premium,VIP
Prince George, BC
ahh. thanks. No help here though. Sorry

Glen T

BC
Whatever happened to TELUS Helper anyway?

Symtex

join:2005-04-06
Burnaby, BC
kudos:21
reply to Glen T
The anwser is no unfortunately. TELUS Hosting uses 1025 for SMTP

Glen T

BC

1 edit
said by Symtex:

The anwser is no unfortunately. TELUS Hosting uses 1025 for SMTP
No, this is good news! I just got a response from Telus Hosting also. I don't care what the port number is as long as it is not blocked by Shaw. Will try when I get home tonight. So far, it is does test OK from the Telus network.

Edit: Yup, that will do it. For the record, Telus Hosting supports port 1025 as an alternative to SMTP port 25. Problem solved.