share rss forum feed

Dampier
Phillip M Dampier

join:2003-03-23
Rochester, NY
reply to Dampier

Re: [TWC] TW Officially Announces Packet Shaping for All RR User

Now my reaction to this:

1) This will eventually cover ALL subscribers in ALL areas of the country.

2) The same packet shaping technology will be applied to all levels of RR service, rendering Premium RR basically useless for higher speed transfers of large amounts of data. What good is having 15 megs of downloads when the packet shaping will reduce that to download speeds below that of their former standard tier? There is now little point to having a premium level of service.

3) The company is warning customers who are smart enough to circumvent these by encrypting or moving their packets off the "usual ports/traffic neighborhood" that it is a violation of the AUP to do so and potentially puts your account in peril.

The only thing worse than this is slapping a nationwide usage cap on you, but this is truly outrageous, especially for those who are paying extra for Premium accounts.

swhx7
Premium
join:2006-07-23
Elbonia

said by Dampier:

3) The company is warning customers who are smart enough to circumvent these by encrypting or moving their packets off the "usual ports/traffic neighborhood" that it is a violation of the AUP to do so and potentially puts your account in peril.

I hope this is not true.

As an occasional BT user (for things I consider legitimate, not "stealing movies") I expect not to be affected much by bandwidth limits, because I carefully regulate it to avoid affecting the neighbors or attracting attention from RR.

However, like almost all knowledgable BT users I avoid the standard ports. As far as I'm concerned it is normal, with any network technology, to use any ports that work and don't cause problems for anyone. If this is going to be considered evasion of AUP, that's a problem.

Likewise, it's unacceptable for an ISP to expect users to leave all their packet unencrypted just because it helps their throttling efforts. It's none of their business what my packets are about, their job is just to deliver them as well as possible.

If they don't have the capacity to deliver all the traffic then they should be forced to restrain their advertising of rates until they build enough infrastructure to live up to it.