uniqs
ssault
join:2007-01-21
Portland, ME

ssault to Dampier

to Dampier

Re: [TWC] TW Officially Announces Packet Shaping for All RR User

Here's a novel idea for TWC:

Upgrade the system to support your ADVERTISED speeds.

My god, but that might SATISFY the customers, can't have that!
jaysonnyc
join:2005-03-25
New York, NY

jaysonnyc

o god i really f'n wish time warner wasnt the only cable company in manhattan

WiFiguru
To infinity... and beyond
Premium Member
join:2005-06-21
Seattle, WA

WiFiguru to ssault

Premium Member

to ssault
said by ssault:

Haha,
Sorry, just had to laugh at that.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to ssault

Premium Member

to ssault
said by ssault:

its cheaper to throttle than to maintain your network properly.
niagara_man1
join:2007-05-02
Niagara Falls, NY

2 edits

niagara_man1 to ssault

to ssault
Wow, and everyone complained when I bicthed about how crappy they are. How the Advertised speed issue is a problem.

Ok I understand the UP TO now from a few other posts. Now they are saying you cannot use "UP TO" without getting into issues !!
jkfan4
join:2005-07-21
Binghamton, NY

jkfan4 to ssault

to ssault
ssault...NO ISP is able to give full advertised bandwidth to every single subscriber.

Because it would be a HORRIBLE business plan to do that. A complete waste of resources since most would go unused. To turn ANY profit they would nbeed to charge double what they currently do if they had to pay to upgrade their network to do that. It would be pointless. You really think Google has the storage space to give every single Gmail user 2.8 Gigs of storage? They don't.

I hope for your sake you don't plan on going into any career related to business.
grandpinaple8
join:2006-01-03
New York, NY

grandpinaple8

In response to the google question: 500 gb drives on newegg are now 120 dollars. That is less than 25 cents per gig. Now google probably gets it cheaper in bulk so lets say it costs 25 cents per gig after all retention etc is taken care of. That is 75 cents per person. How many total gmail users are there? According to forbes gmail has roughly 6 million users. Assuming an average of 2 accounts each that makes 12 million total. That amounts to 9 million dollars to run gmail. Now there exists a possibility that google isn't overselling or if it is then it is dangerously close to the total amount needed. Sorry I know it's off topic, but I couldn't resist biting.
cyberglobe
join:2006-03-05
Montreal, QC

cyberglobe to jaysonnyc

to jaysonnyc
Switch to DSL or Wifi then. Hurt them where it hurts the most... their pocketbooks to show them that you do not like what they are doing.
Dissonance
join:2007-03-26
Floral Park, NY

Dissonance

said by cyberglobe:

Switch to DSL or Wifi then. Hurt them where it hurts the most... their pocketbooks to show them that you do not like what they are doing.
That's what I'll be doing (fios will be active soon), and I'll send them an email to be sure they know why they're losing customers...

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

said by Dissonance:

That's what I'll be doing (fios will be active soon), and I'll send them an email to be sure they know why they're losing customers...
Because of Fios?

Hob
Dissonance
join:2007-03-26
Floral Park, NY

Dissonance

Because Fios is now better than TWC in every respect.

I do get better latency with TWC than on my girlfriend's fios connection, but since they're gonna throttle me anyway, whats the point?

armyvet2
join:2006-10-24
Maceo, KY

armyvet2 to ssault

to ssault
reply to Dampier

you got that right

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA

NormanS

MVM

Just curious. What if they only guaranteed a full 15Mbps 15% of the time, instead of 24/7. Would you pay for that sort of service? (Not that they are guaranteeing full speed 24/7 now; as I said: "Just curious".)