Search similar:

uniqs
phills_suck
join:2004-10-11
Burlington, NJ

phills_suck

Youtube and Comcast Problems?

Hello everyone.

I uploaded a video to youtube the other day. However, when I try to view the video it never gets past the loading. (the little swiggy circle keeps spinning and its a black screen). Some videos run perfect, but also some don't. I tried all of the troubleshooting on youtube, but to no avail. The only thing I noticed was that my neighbors have comcast and can't view my video. My girlfriend lives a few miles away and has comcast...ditto result. One of my boys has Verizon DSL that lives down the street from me and he could view the video fine. Also, I went to my girlfriend's parents business (They use Verizon Business DSL) and it worked fine.

I also tried the other computers in my house, but it was the same result. Do you think comcast blocks certain kinds of videos on youtube? Some videos I could view, but other videos (including mine) do not load. Any suggestions? Thanks.

The link to the video in question:

»youtube.com/watch?v=fBtE0Ee_-Dc

Mike

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

dadkins

MVM

Click for full size
Seems to play ok here.

Any security software that may be blocking Flash?
phills_suck
Burlington, NJ

phills_suck

I uninstalled flash, reinstalled. turned off firewalls, antivirus, but nothing worked. Like I said some videos do play fine on youtube and some do not. I am confused!! lol.
redsox0717
join:2003-11-07
Durham, CT

redsox0717

I have the same exact problem....comcast in CT.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
Hercules, CA

dadkins to phills_suck

MVM

to phills_suck
Got links to a few that won't play?
Have you tried a different browser?

I don't think it's Comcast that is killing Youtube... some videos are... whacked!
Hayduke8
join:2001-01-06
Memphis, TN

Hayduke8 to phills_suck

to phills_suck
If it's any consolation it won't load here either - Comcast Memphis

hayduke
redsox0717
join:2003-11-07
Durham, CT

redsox0717 to dadkins

to dadkins
I've tried on IE and Firefox and both don't work for some videos

Vamp
5c077
Premium Member
join:2003-01-28
MD

Vamp to phills_suck

Premium Member

to phills_suck
Same problem in MD. seems like eastcoast DNS problem.
phills_suck
Burlington, NJ

phills_suck to dadkins

to dadkins
Based on the search of the related videos on the right...

This one worked fine:

»youtube.com/watch?v=nzoupXz1pwo

This one didn't work at all:

»youtube.com/watch?v=XoDaCs9UbZI

and also my own didnt work.

CRP2
Comcast of Ocean County
join:2005-12-26
Brick, NJ

CRP2

I'm experiencing similar problems as you, as well.

rrlover
join:2001-03-25
Marlborough, CT

rrlover to phills_suck

to phills_suck
same problems in CT. friend of my uploaded a video and it never shows. just stays constant on loading.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
Hercules, CA

dadkins to phills_suck

MVM

to phills_suck
Click for full size
Both playing at the same time...

*ALTHOUGH*, the second video did take about 60 seconds to actually start, top one started instantly.

Some videos are just... borked.
irdepesca572
join:2003-06-19
Catonsville, MD

1 edit

2 recommendations

irdepesca572

Those videos are terrifying!

Stonedonkey
Premium Member
join:2001-05-15
Corte Madera, CA

3 edits

Stonedonkey

Premium Member

I've been having problems as well, for the past couple days. Some videos will play, others won't. Intermittent page load problems all over the 'Net, actually. Power cycled modem, twice, ran some BBR tests, swapped to openDNS, nothing works. Flushed DNS, released and renewed, etc.

It seems to be okay right after the modem has been cycled, but about ten minutes later, it's as bad as it was before cycling.

Edit: Okay, so I think I know what the problem is (on my machine, at least). The latest version of my AV appears to be interacting with my connectivity in a major way. Kaspersky 6.x and ZoneAlarm 7.x are supposed to be noted for not getting along well, so I tried disabling KAV. (I hadn't had KAV installed for a while, and I realized that the problems started cropping up as soon as it returned to active duty.)

Notably, going into KAV's settings and disabling all network monitoring and "pro-active" defenses appears to have no effect on this problem. Only by completely preventing KAV from loading does the problem go away.

Well, at least KAV 7 is supposed to be coming out soon.

Anyways, if you have an AV and are experiencing odd connectivity problems, try temporarily disabling it. In order to fully do so, you may have to go into its options menu and disable it from loading on startup, then restarting your computer. Most AVs these days don't seem to allow complete user-initiated shutdown -- they're always resident somewhere in the RAM.

I can play and fully stream all three clips in this thread, whereas earlier I could not.

Quaoar
join:2004-08-11
Fort Collins, CO

Quaoar to phills_suck

to phills_suck
There are two problems I have with YouTube video:

Embedded YouTube video often only plays the video stream with the audio stream missing. Clicking the body of the embedded preview pane to access the video directly at YouTube solves this problem.

On occasion, video sources on all of my computers fail to play the video stream. This is resolved by restarting whatever browser I am using at the time, or closing previously opened tabs containing a video stream.

Neither of these are Comcast problems, IMO, but rather browser cache and/or memory issues.

Q

sgtfrank
join:2000-09-04
Aurora, IL

sgtfrank to phills_suck

to phills_suck
I also have Comcast and have not YET had problems with YouTube. Either on my own or on your posts. Unfortunately I do not have a solution or suggestion any different from previous posts.

ccanon
@comcast.net

1 recommendation

ccanon to phills_suck

Anon

to phills_suck
I'm sure its a Comcast conspiracy out to get Youtube!
Just use »www.ziddio.com instead.
juniorx
join:2006-02-05
St John'S, NL

juniorx

guys, im with rogers and i'm having trouble with youtube over the past few days. Either its the data center their using or trouble with routing to youtube

Sly
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Tennessee

1 recommendation

Sly to phills_suck

Premium Member

to phills_suck
Just wanted to add that I'm seeing the problem also. I think it's a problem with youtube and not comcast. Most videos play fine but some of them are stuck on "loading" forever.

CRP2
Comcast of Ocean County
join:2005-12-26
Brick, NJ

CRP2

Yeah its probably a YouTube problem. That spinning "Loading" wheel is fairly new to the site. Don't remember it a few weeks back.
jrx10
join:2005-07-20
Aurora, CO

jrx10 to Sly

to Sly
I've never liked the MM flash player worth a d*&^, because I've never trusted the MM "security setup". YouTube usually works just fine, but I don't understand all the KB and MB out upstream when I'm watching a youtube vid, and it's gotton worse since google purchased youtube, plus there all kinds of connections to google IPs when you watch one. Is this normal to have all this data going out of your computer when watching a youtube video, and if so, is there a player other than the standard flash player that you can download, that doesn't have to have all this data out-bound when you watch a youtube video. I like to watch Youtube but this just bothers the *&^% out of me. I also like to use the google search engine, but I've been moving away from them (as much as you can) because of all their 'tracking-crap'.

ComcasterRIC
@comcast.net

ComcasterRIC to phills_suck

Anon

to phills_suck
It seems to be a problem for Comcast users hitting YouTube's LAX servers only.

My home service is through Comcast residential and my weekend job's ISP is Comcast Business. The same videos fail in both places.

I'm on Comcast in Richmond, VA.

I've emailed YouTube. It would be pointless to even contact Comcast's amateur-hour customer service and try to explain this mess.
ComcasterRIC

ComcasterRIC

Anon

Update: I contacted Comcast's amateur-hour customer service and gave them the URL to this discussion.

Maybe they'll actually look at it.

Steely
I rise when the sun goes down
Premium Member
join:2000-10-15
Princeton Junction, NJ

Steely

Premium Member

Having the same problems with YouTube here.

Vorticon
Premium Member
join:2000-08-24
Fruitland Park, FL

Vorticon to phills_suck

Premium Member

to phills_suck
And I'm having those same problems with YouTube down here in Florida.
Glad to see that it's not just me.

sonofjay
Mission Accomplished - Bush May 1, 2003
MVM
join:2001-05-14
Malden, MA

sonofjay to phills_suck

MVM

to phills_suck
Same problem with some youtube (not all vids) here on Comcast lines in MA. Using OpenDNS. Not a browser/PC issues as some load and some do not.

Mchart
First There.
join:2004-01-21
Kaneohe, HI

Mchart to phills_suck

to phills_suck
It's more then a comcast issue. This happens on my ATT DSL connection, my friends T1, and another friends Chicago area comcast connection.

It's just youtube's servers running slow.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
Hercules, CA

dadkins

MVM

said by Mchart:

It's more then a comcast issue. This happens on my ATT DSL connection, my friends T1, and another friends Chicago area comcast connection.

It's just youtube's servers running slow.
Yep!
It's not Comcast... Youtube just has some fried videos.

Some of the slower or non responsive ones act the same way via Embarq as they do on Comcast - not a Comcast issue!

JT
@comcast.net

JT to phills_suck

Anon

to phills_suck
This problem definitely has something to do with Comcast. There are certain videos that will never play with my Comcast connection but will play immediately with my aol dial up connection. They always play with aol but never play with Comcast. This is something that's been going on for about 3 days, before that I could play any youtube videos with my Comcast connection no problem.

sullyrock
@comcast.net

sullyrock to ComcasterRIC

Anon

to ComcasterRIC
same exact issue- Comcast in Ny- some load- some just spin- tried everything-Except turning modem off and on again, i will try that- .025% of my 52 videos posted do not play for me anymore- noticed this all last week